Official Avail. Nov 13th - Android 4.2 - LG Nexus 4 - Asus Nexus 7 - Samsung Nexus 10

Page 54 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Rofl... that lasted 10 seconds.
Lol...This is my story of what happened.

After reading vshah's post about the website slowing, I decided to try and check it out.
I see 8GB "Add to cart". I changed it to 16GB and see "Add to cart". I decided to open a new window and check if the bumper was available for me to order as well but it still says "Sold Out". I took a few seconds to decide whether I should order the glass Nexus 4 without a bumper and by the time I decide to try and went back to the page, the Add to Cart sign was still there but nothing was adding to cart. I refreshed the page, and it says sold out.

**EDIT**
WTF? Add to cart sign is back after this post.
8GB ships in 4-5 weeks, 16GB ships in 1-2 weeks.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Lol...This is my story of what happened.

After reading vshah's post about the website slowing, I decided to try and check it out.
I see 8GB "Add to cart". I changed it to 16GB and see "Add to cart". I decided to open a new window and check if the bumper was available for me to order as well but it still says "Sold Out". I took a few seconds to decide whether I should order the glass Nexus 4 without a bumper and by the time I decide to try and went back to the page, the Add to Cart sign was still there but nothing was adding to cart. I refreshed the page, and it says sold out.

**EDIT**
WTF? Add to cart sign is back after this post.
8GB ships in 4-5 weeks, 16GB ships in 1-2 weeks.
16GB sold out again.

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
Please don't tell you're talking about Nexus 4 inventory, and you're being serious...

Yeah I am. Showed in stock at 11:59. Got an error when I tried to add it, refreshed the page and it showed out of stock.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
16GB Nexus stuck in my cart with proceed button greyed out.
"Oops, we had trouble processing your request. We're working on fixing the issue. Please try again later."

What took a majority of my time is also the "Link to Google Account" thing I had to read about. I've never ordered a device on Google Play before so I had to read what that was about.
I'm sure if I didn't click that to read what it was about and also waste time checking the bumper, I could have gotten it.

I'm ordering the phone for my mom(#1 priority) and therefore don't want it linked to my account.
The bumper also isn't available and we also know how women and kids are with things. ^_^

Not sure if I should thank Google for saving my money yet again.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
16GB Nexus stuck in my cart with proceed button greyed out.
"Oops, we had trouble processing your request. We're working on fixing the issue. Please try again later."

What took a majority of my time is also the "Link to Google Account" thing I had to read about. I've never ordered a device on Google Play before so I had to read what that was about.
I'm sure if I didn't click that to read what it was about and also waste time checking the bumper, I could have gotten it.

I'm ordering the phone for my mom(#1 priority) and therefore don't want it linked to my account.
The bumper also isn't available and we also know how women and kids are with things. ^_^

Not sure if I should thank Google for saving my money yet again.

with all the BS going on, I can't believe I got mine a couple weeks ago via the original launch. I thought about getting another for my wife, when I got the availability email this morning.... figured they'd have their sh!t together this go round, but obviously not.

I do want a bumper though

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
For a company the size of Google, who has also been in the phone business for years, I just can't believe just how amateurish this launch has been.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004

I had a similar problem, I just unchecked it thinking that I can decide later on what account to link and what its all about, but it removed the phone from my cart, argh!

Google is making it very difficult to transition from Apple, bad first impression, especially after receiving an email from them that N4 "will be available later today".

#firstworldproblems

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Seriously, sold out in less than 15 minutes? Get your shit together, Google.
It was less than 2 minutes.
I checked at 3:00pm EST and posted here.
After posting here, I checked the bumper to see whether it was available, added the phone to cart, read about the "Link to Google account" thingy to understand it, and click the proceed button but got errors and refreshed screen to see sold out sign.
All that was between 3:00pm and 3:02pm. I posted my event as it happened above at 3:14pm and after posting it and refreshing the page, I saw an Add to cart sign back again with "ships in 1-2 weeks" on it. I ninja edited that 3:14pm post to inform everyone. Added it to cart after that ninja edit with it stuck on proceed. Refreshed and saw a sold out sign again as I detailed in my 3:17pm post.

Clicking the proceed button gave me a different answer from before.
Before it said...As of 3:21pm(which I posted about at 3:24pm)

Now it says...As of 3:32pm
"Due to high demand, your order could not be processed. Please try again later."

Nexus 4 is still stuck in my shopping cart as of this post.

***EDIT***
Error message changed again as of 3:45pm. "Oops, we had trouble processing your request. We're working on fixing the issue. Please try again later."
Looks like I will keep playing with this "Proceed" button for a while with it still in my cart.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2003
Embarrassing launch, take 2! You'd think they'd work out the bugs before unleashing the new inventory. Guess not!

Last edited:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Anyhoo... Those of you with tethering support and the Nexus 4, how well does tethering work for you?

Sometimes it's flaky over WiFi between my iPhone 4 and Nexus 7.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003

don't be so sure. I had a 16gb in my account at 5 seconds past 3 and I couldn't order successfully. time had nothing to do with it. google's site/servers simply can't handle the load.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
Anyhoo... Those of you with tethering support and the Nexus 4, how well does tethering work for you?

Sometimes it's flaky over WiFi between my iPhone 4 and Nexus 7.

flawless so far between my N4 and N7

gar655

Mar 4, 2008
So the 8gb ships "soon" in 4-5 WEEKS! Isn't that kind of like "sold out"?

The 16gb shows sold out. WTF does that mean in lieu of "ships in 4-5 weeks"? 6-8 weeks?

3-4 months? Summer 2014?

Seriously did Google have like one of each in stock for actual shipping. Damn they suck at retail.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
cEmqo.png

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Meh, I got mine from T-Mobile for a slight premium ($409 total after ETF) compared to the what, $375 from Google Play (after taxes)? No lines or crazy refreshing, just did it over the phone.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Meh, I got mine from T-Mobile for a slight premium ($409 total after ETF) compared to the what, $375 from Google Play (after taxes)? No lines or crazy refreshing, just did it over the phone.
Is it locked to T-Mobile, and what was your estimated contract premium?

Around here, subsidized plans cost more than non-subsidized.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Is it locked to T-Mobile, and what was your contract?

No it's the exact same phone. I had to sign up for a contract, but the saleswoman was able to waive all fees after I told her I planned on canceling the contract asap. So $209 for the phone, and then $200 for the ETF.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
No it's the exact same phone. I had to sign up for a contract, but the saleswoman was able to waive all fees after I told her I planned on canceling the contract asap. So $209 for the phone, and then $200 for the ETF.
Hey not bad. I'd consider doing that if I lived in the US.