*** Official ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe (nForce4) Thread ***

KenB1234

Apr 7, 2005
I have noticed a number of messages in the past regarding the A8N-SLI Deluxe and Corsair DDR400 PC3200 memory. I am experiencing system halt problems that I believe are related to this brand memory module.

I recently pieced together a brand new system. All components are new and up-to-date technology wise. I purchased the Corsair ValueSelect VS1GBKIT400 (2-512MB modules). I put the modules in the A1/B1 DDR-DIMM slots. (Note: The latest ASUS Motherboard manual indicates this is an acceptable configuration). Installed with Windows-XP SP2 Home Edition and system ran fine for a few hours. Then the problems started.

1. First noticed some display problems:
A. Display would startup in 4-color with lowest resolution. Corrected by resetting display mode.
B. After Windows startup, display would just be a black screen.
2. Restarting would send me to Safe Mode selection screen. Retry with various choices such as Last Known Good Config, Normal Mode, or Safe Mode. Sometimes got through, sometimes not and got BIOS reboot.
3. Then eventually startup would complain of a missing System file. Not much to do at this point except to try a Windows reinstall.
4. Tried re-installing Windows-XP and couldn't because everytime the re-install was attempted, the BIOS would reboot.

Aaargh!

Finally went out and bought a 512MB module of a different brand. Low and behold, a Windows-XP reinstall was again possible. This memory seemed to work fine for a few days with no hitches. This led me to believe there was a problem with the Corsair memory modules I had. So I returned the modules and installed the replacement VS1GBKIT400.

With the replacement memory, the system detected the 1GB Corsiar and passed the bootup memory tests. Everything was working fine. I shutdown and restarted the system numerous times. Performed performance checks and memory tests. Everything running smooth. Then WHAM! After about 2-days of good running, I am now experiencing the same problems I outlined above with the first set of memory modules.

Could this actually be the memory causing this grief? Anybody have similar experiences?

Thanks.

A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Asus Extreme N6800 GeForce PCI-Express
Corsair VS1GBKIT400 DDR400 PC3200 Memory
Hitachi Deskstart 7K250GB Serial ATA Harddrive
Ultra ULT31638 600W ATX Power Supply
NEC ND-3520A 16X Double-layer DVD Writer