*** Official Anti War Protestor Thread***SanFrancisco, No Business as Usual....

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: snidy1
Originally posted by: faZZter
Most of the protestors I have seen on TV look like homeless people, treehuggers, or losers.

That's the truth, they have nothing better to do. Most of them probably don't have a clue as to what's really going on.

Many feel so strongly and DO KNOW what,s going on that they have quit their jobs and traveled to protest.

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000
Originally posted by: conjur
Originally posted by: jahawkin

I've read that most Clear Channel stations are reporting these pro-war rallys in their one minute news break segments, and most of the CC owned radio station websites I've looked at have been reporting them one thier websites (that is if they have some kind of news section).
Shouldn't a media giant keep their hands off the public expression of opinion?
How is that different from the Hollywood media/celebrities protesting the war??

It strictly the Hollywood celebs protesting the war. The Hollywood media apparatus doesn't have much to do with it. There's a big difference between some well-know people speaking their minds and a giant corporation organizing and sponsering protests.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
I think it is fairly comical that some are complaining about Clear channel and their pro US stance, when they would be applauding this same company if they were supporting anit-war rallies........
rolleye.gif

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

It strictly the Hollywood celebs protesting the war. The Hollywood media apparatus doesn't have much to do with it. There's a big difference between some well-know people speaking their minds and a giant corporation organizing and sponsering protests.
I just don't see the problem. I don't care if they sponsored a rally for the clubbing of baby seals in the Artic, drilling in my backyard, or for or against the war. What's the difference?

I don't like seeing the Hollywood celebrities use their fame to promote their personal opinions but they have a right to do so. The fact that they make fools of themselves is just gravy ;)

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Jmman
I think it is fairly comical that some are complaining about Clear channel and their pro US stance, when they would be applauding this same company if they were supporting anit-war rallies........
rolleye.gif

ummm, I know I can't speak for everyone, but I like corporations out of organizing protests. This is supposed to be done by grassroots activity, not free commercials on multiple radio stations with the DJs promoting the event and the news division overreporting their own pro-war protests in nearly every market in the US. Protests are a way of the people voicing their opinion. Clear Channel is tainting the process. How would you like it if CNN organized anit-war rallys and promoted them on-air throughout the day? The media is supposed to have some standards of objectivity.
The CEO of Clear Channel just happens to be a very good friend of Bush. Quite a coincidence, huh?

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000

I just don't see the problem. I don't care if they sponsored a rally for the clubbing of baby seals in the Artic, drilling in my backyard, or for or against the war. What's the difference?

Can you think of any instance where a national corporation has organized protests across the nation for any issue??

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

Can you think of any instance where a national corporation has organized protests across the nation for any issue??
Not off-hand, no, but I bet it's happened before.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001

Not off-hand, no, but I bet it's happened before.

Coca-cola may have inadvertantly done that by introducing "new coke" ;)

Andy

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
How is this different than the NY Times or any other liberal media company using their newspaper to reinforce their political agenda? Anyway, these are more Pro-US rallies, not pro-war rallies.......

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000
How is this different than the NY Times or any other liberal media company using their newspaper to reinforce their political agenda?

Because they do so on the editorial page. And they're not organizing rallys to support their political agenda.

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001
Originally posted by: flavio
Originally posted by: snidy1
Originally posted by: faZZter
Most of the protestors I have seen on TV look like homeless people, treehuggers, or losers.

That's the truth, they have nothing better to do. Most of them probably don't have a clue as to what's really going on.

Many feel so strongly and DO KNOW what,s going on that they have quit their jobs and traveled to protest.

How do they pay their mortgage and feed their children?

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001
rolleye.gif

ummm, I know I can't speak for everyone, but I like corporations out of organizing protests. This is supposed to be done by grassroots activity, not free commercials on multiple radio stations with the DJs promoting the event and the news division overreporting their own pro-war protests in nearly every market in the US. Protests are a way of the people voicing their opinion. Clear Channel is tainting the process. How would you like it if CNN organized anit-war rallys and promoted them on-air throughout the day? The media is supposed to have some standards of objectivity.
The CEO of Clear Channel just happens to be a very good friend of Bush. Quite a coincidence, huh?

When Rick Kaplan was at CNN it wasn't called the Clinton News Network out of coincidence either. I bet he has spent more time in the Lincoln bedroom than the CEO of Clear Channel.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Well, it all seems pretty benign to me......

"They're not intended to be pro-military. It's more of a thank you to the troops. They're just patriotic
rallies," said Clear Channel spokeswoman Lisa Dollinger.

Rallies sponsored by Clear Channel radio stations are scheduled for this weekend in Sacramento, Charleston, S.C., and Richmond, Va. Although Clear Channel promoted two of the recent rallies on its corporate Web site, Dollinger said there is no corporate directive that stations organize rallies.

"Any rallies that our stations have been a part of have been of their own initiative and in response to
the expressed desires of their listeners and communities," Dollinger said.

Feel free to add Clear Channel to your "protest list".......:p

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000
Well, it all seems pretty benign to me......

"They're not intended to be pro-military. It's more of a thank you to the troops. They're just patriotic
rallies," said Clear Channel spokeswoman Lisa Dollinger.

Rallies sponsored by Clear Channel radio stations are scheduled for this weekend in Sacramento, Charleston, S.C., and Richmond, Va. Although Clear Channel promoted two of the recent rallies on its corporate Web site, Dollinger said there is no corporate directive that stations organize rallies.

"Any rallies that our stations have been a part of have been of their own initiative and in response to
the expressed desires of their listeners and communities," Dollinger said.

Feel free to add Clear Channel to your "protest list".......:p

Often the Clear Channel stations team up with the local Freepers. This is how the freepers see the rallys, in their own words,
As war with Iraq becomes imminent, more and more of the "useful idiot" leftist weasels are crawling out of the woodwork. So-called "anti-war" protests are popping up in cities all across the nation. We will not allow these communist organized (lookup A.N.S.W.E.R.) demonstrations go unanswered. Patriotic Americans are countering these terrorist supporting leftists wherever and whenever they pop up. Form a group, grab your signs, unfurl the flag and prepare to support your country!

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: flavio
Originally posted by: Millennium
flavio- Do you have the scans of alternative plans yet?

I walked up to Market St. during lunch yesterday and saw 3 protestors. I'll keep my eye out this week. Shouldn't take much to come up with better than bomb, kill, "liberate" though.

Ok thanks. Let me know when you get some.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
we need to build more cathedrals, temples, and colessums. plus we need to convert our scientists into entertainers. hopefully we can get michaelangelo's and j.s. bach's cathedrals up and running before anyone else

SaltBoy

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
Originally posted by: jhu
we need to build more cathedrals, temples, and colessums. plus we need to convert our scientists into entertainers. hopefully we can get michaelangelo's and j.s. bach's cathedrals up and running before anyone else
Of course, with enough marketplaces and luxuries, we will be able to turn 8 content people in each city into happy people! :)

elzmaddy

Oct 29, 2002
For the record, I am strongly against this war. Call me naive, a liberal, a hippie, communist, etc, but this war just seems wrong to me. Instead of all of the arguments which everybody has heard already, I will present my philosophical view.

What is happening now in Iraq is absolutely atrocious to me. Even if this man DOES posess weapons of mass destruction, I do not believe a pre-emptive war can be justified on the possibilty that he MAY use them. Killing people on the possibility that people may be killed. Tens of Americans and hundreds of Iraqi soldiers, perhaps into the thousands now, have been killed needlessly.

We are trapped in a cycle of violence that cannot be stopped with further violence. (ie: you cannot fight fire with fire). Look how far this tactic has gotten the Israelis and Palestineans. It just does not work that way. This pre-emptive attack sets a poor example for the rest of the world and opens the door for future justifications of military conflict. Moreover, I do not believe in creating a hell in the present for a better future. Indeed, this present moment -- the hell that is going on in Iraq -- is the best indicator of what the future will be like. A future of further conflict, destruction and suffering.

Now we could sit here all day and paste facts and statistics back and forth to each other, but that really will not get us far. The cycle of violence is perpetuating itself continously. The justifications for violence will come, no matter how unreasonable, illogical or absurd, as long as people are identified with their minds. For example, your mind tells you that being an American is part of your identity, so you will go to great lengths to defend it, a mentally created image of yourself. Because, if the mental identity dies, you feel part of youself dying. And so your perceptions are governed by fear since this mind-made image of self is constantly under threat. However, ultimately, we are not truly Americans or Iraqis, Christians or Muslims, but human beings. And to see yourself as a human being before your national or religious identity can make things a lot clearer. You will see that there is no one really winning in the battlefield. Everyone, all of humanity, is losing. The fact that everyone identifies with mental positions does not make it any less of an illness. We have seen its manifestations recently on 9/11, and in the past century, where 100 million human beings were killed by their fellow human beings. This is the energy that creates the "us versus them" attitude that makes a fellow human being just like you appear as an enemy, when really, we are all the same. The same energy Bush tapped into to gather support for his war is the same energy Hitler tapped into to rally the German people. Tell them they are under threat of attack, whether physically, ideologically, etc.

We could argue for another hundred years about specifics, and you may curse me for lumping evil terrorists together with brave soldiers valiantly defending their country, comparing our leader with a Nazi, but the roots of the violence are still the same. We are destined to bear the burden of problems, conflict, fear and suffering as long as our identity is rigidly defined by our minds. But you need not cling to any identity other than that of a simple human being. There is a way out of all this madness; it is not just a utopian fantasy. However, the best time to start down this road is now, at this very moment. Thus I demand this war should end immediately and unconditionally for the sake of not just the Iraqis but of all humanity.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: JoeBaD
after this thread is done are all of you getting together for a circle jerk?

I had to wait for this page to load and scroll all the way down just to read that!

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
"What is happening now in Iraq is absolutely atrocious to me. Even if this man DOES posess weapons of mass destruction, I do not believe a pre-emptive war can be justified on the possibilty that he MAY use them. Killing people on the possibility that people may be killed. Tens of Americans and hundreds of Iraqi soldiers, perhaps into the thousands now, have been killed needlessly."

First of all, he does have WMD, no questions asked, no dispute, every member of the UN will agree on this. The difference between "he MAY" and reality is this, he HAS used them before, so his willingness is not open to debate either.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: hevnsnt
Not sure if this has been posted before, but I just got it in my email, thought it was *appropriate* :)

Peace Activist Reeducation

With all of this talk of impending war, many of us will encounter "Peace Activists" who will try and convince us that we must refrain from retaliating against the ones who terrorized us all on September 11, 2001, and those who support terror. These activists may be alone or in a gathering.....most of us don't know how to react to them. When you come upon one of these people, or one of their rallies, here are the proper rules of etiquette:

1. Listen politely while this person explains their views. Strike up a conversation if necessary and look very interested in their ideas. They will tell you how revenge is immoral, and that by attacking the people who did this to us, we will only bring on more violence. They will probably use many arguments, ranging from political to religious to humanitarian.

2. In the middle of their remarks, without any warning, punch them in the nose.

3. When the person gets up off of the ground, they will be very angry and they may try to hit you, so be careful.

4. Very quickly and calmly remind the person that violence only brings about more violence and remind them of their stand on this matter. Tell them if they are really committed to a nonviolent approach to undeserved attacks, they will turn the other cheek and negotiate a solution. Tell them they must lead by example if they really believe what they are saying.

5. Most of them will think for a moment and then agree that you are correct.

6. As soon as they do that, hit them again. Only this time hit them much harder. Square in the nose.

7. Repeat steps 2-5 until the desired results are obtained and the idiot realizes how stupid of an argument he/she is making.

8. There is no difference in an individual attacking an unsuspecting victim or a group of terrorists attacking a nation of people. It is unacceptable and must be dealt with. Perhaps at a high cost.

We owe our military a huge debt for what they are about to do for us and our children. We must support them and our leaders at times like these. We have no choice. We either strike back, VERY HARD, or we will keep getting hit in the nose.

Lesson over, class dismissed.

Repost and
rolleye.gif

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: SaltBoy
Originally posted by: jhu
Of course, with enough marketplaces and luxuries, we will be able to turn 8 content people in each city into happy people! :)

woot :D