*** Official ABIT NF7/S (nForce2) Thread ***

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ant001

Jul 30, 2003
Ok, I tried it, and I think i did everything exactly as it said. But I'm not hearing the correct sounds out of the correct speakers. I hear sound that are supposed to be coming from the rear speakers from the subwoofer.

pelikan

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2002
On mine the speaker cable colors do not match up with the colors of the plugs on the mobo. I had to use the "test tone" on the Nvidia control panel to find the correct plugs.

Ant001

Jul 30, 2003
EDIT: Got it working now! TY for your help. I switched the plugs around a bit and messed with the options until it works. Pretty cool!

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
ok, I have a wierd question. I am having a bit of a problem getting my rear USB/firewire bracket to work. The USB plugs on it don't work (I am not sure about the firewire as I don't have a device that uses it) there is only on real way you can plug in the USB header as there is one missing pin in a double row, so I know I did it right but it still won't work. The USB on the mobo and on the front of my case (another header plug) work just fine though.

I also am wondering how you know they are running USB 2.0. I don't have a 2.0 device but will probably have one in the near future and want to make sure they are working correctly. I ran sisoftware sandra mobo information thing and it found 3 USB controllers. The first two said they had 3 channels each and were at version 1.0. The Third Controller said version 2.0 and has 6 channels. Are those 6 channels my actual 6 plugs and the other groups of 3 just phantoms of some kind? Thanks

-spike

P.S. yes, this is on the NF7-S v2.0

jdogg707

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2002
I just got a new setup:

Athlon XP 2500+ w/SLK-800A and 80mm Fan
Abit NF7-S v. 2.0 from ExclaiberPC
512MB OCZ Platinum PC3200 DDR RAM

Well, I was able to hit 2.2GHZ fairly easily at 1.7V Vcore, but when I push it up to 2.3GHZ, I have to use a Vcore of 1.825 for it to remain stable. My temps don't go over 49C at load, and around 38-40C Idle. I am hoping to get 2.4 out of this chip, but don't know how far I should push the Vcore. Any ideas?

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: DrStrange
Does anybody know if the Zalman 7000A CPU cooler will work with the revision 2.0 of this board. I am considering buying it but the Zalman site states that it needs the four mounting holes and the NF7S 2.0 is not compatible as it does not have them but I know the board does have them.
Are they maybe in the wrong position

Thanks

Peter

According to Zalman, here the NF7-S is not compatible with any of the Zalman 7000 series, unfortunately. Neither are any Nforce2 boards really. The only one that fits it is the A7N8X, and that one the PSU gets in the way...

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
so no one has any idea how to tell if the USB 2.0 is working or not? c'mon, someone has to know

-spike

(read my previous post for my entire question)

Richdog

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2003
Spike USB 2.0 is enabled only when you have Windows XP Service Pack 1 installed, otherwise your hardware will run as USB 1.0 only. Install SP1 then go into device manager, click on your USB root hub driver and click 'Update'. Bob will then be your uncle. :D

Right now for my question! My extra USB ports (that fit in a spare PCI slot) that came with my NF7-S don't work! I've tried them in both the USB connectors on the motherboard and still I get nothing at all. I've tried updating the drivers numerous times with no success, has anyone got any tips for me to get the bloody thing working? Having only 2 working USB ports is killing me! :(:beer:

BDSM

Jun 6, 2001
Does anyone know how to enable the third fan in SPEEDFAN on the nf7?

It's a great program and it would be perfect if I could just regulate the third on board fan as the two first.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Richdog
Spike USB 2.0 is enabled only when you have Windows XP Service Pack 1 installed, otherwise your hardware will run as USB 1.0 only. Install SP1 then go into device manager, click on your USB root hub driver and click 'Update'. Bob will then be your uncle. :D

Right now for my question! My extra USB ports (that fit in a spare PCI slot) that came with my NF7-S don't work! I've tried them in both the USB connectors on the motherboard and still I get nothing at all. I've tried updating the drivers numerous times with no success, has anyone got any tips for me to get the bloody thing working? Having only 2 working USB ports is killing me! :(:beer:

I all ready did this and then I ran the sisoft analyser to see what it came up with (two posts back I tell about the results) so I am still curious how to tell If I am running 2.0.

I also cannot get the bracket to work on the rear of my case. My case comes with two ports on the front of the case, both of which work just fine. The bracket USB ports do not work. Later today I am going to unplug my bracket and hook my front two ports into that header to see if the problems lies in the bracket or that header on the mobo. I will let you know what happened. Maybe we both got bad brackets...

-spike

CyNics

Dec 28, 2001
I'm thinking of setting up a 2nd PC since I have an extra pair of kingston hyperX pc3500 and an tbredB1700+.

planning to go with the nf7-s rev2.0.
does nf7-s rev2.0 have any compatability problem with the kingston hyperX pc3500?
Cuz I heard the hyperX pc3500 didn't work on nf7-s rev2.0 few months back but I'm not sure whether or not the problem still exist or have been resolved.
FYI, my hyperX pc3500 can be considered as one of the early batch of hyperx, bought it this in january 2003. So any problem?

pelikan

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2002
Originally posted by: CyNics
I'm thinking of setting up a 2nd PC since I have an extra pair of kingston hyperX pc3500 and an tbredB1700+.

planning to go with the nf7-s rev2.0.
does nf7-s rev2.0 have any compatability problem with the kingston hyperX pc3500?
Cuz I heard the hyperX pc3500 didn't work on nf7-s rev2.0 few months back but I'm not sure whether or not the problem still exist or have been resolved.
FYI, my hyperX pc3500 can be considered as one of the early batch of hyperx, bought it this in january 2003. So any problem?

I'm running hyperx pc3500 on mine. I had some early hyperx that didn't work at high FSB, but Kingston replaced it for free. They actually shipped first, which was pretty darn convenient.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
ok, I have another wierd question... The NF7-S has a power connector right above the main mobo power connecter that is a small square with 4 plugs in it. My PSU has that adapter on it but I always thought that was a P4 adapter... I have been running this mobo for a while now with this not plugged in... what is going on? is it suppoed to be plugged in and if so, why is my comp still working?

-spike

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Ok, thanks, I just plugged it in.

Originally posted by: Spike
Originally posted by: Richdog

I all ready did this and then I ran the sisoft analyser to see what it came up with (two posts back I tell about the results) so I am still curious how to tell If I am running 2.0.

I also cannot get the bracket to work on the rear of my case. My case comes with two ports on the front of the case, both of which work just fine. The bracket USB ports do not work. Later today I am going to unplug my bracket and hook my front two ports into that header to see if the problems lies in the bracket or that header on the mobo. I will let you know what happened. Maybe we both got bad brackets...

-spike

Ok, I just tried out the USB bracket on the other head... no luck. The front case plugs work on both but the rears work on neither, so I think it is a problem with the bracket. I emailed Abit so I am gonna see what they say.

-spike

nietsni3

Banned
Apr 1, 2003
i had a problem:
recently, when i turned on the machine, it ran for 2 seconds and auto shut down right after that. all i can observed was that the fans connected to the motherboard and the green LED on the board turned on and then immediately (2 seconds, like i said) turned off. the power supply and its fans also have the same symptom, turned on and of immediately. generally, the whole system turn on and off after the power button is pressed.
i RMA that motherboard, get a new one from ABIT and bought another one for my cousin. two new boards work fine for the first couple days and then ran into the old footsstep of the RMAed board. i m typing these words on my obsolete computer. the PSU i used to test was two brand new ANTEC tuecontrol 550 and a Raidmax 420W (which came with the case).
give me some hint, guys. any advices would be highly appreciated

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
the only time I ever had that happen was when I put the heatsink on the processor backwards, the whole comp would shutdown after about 2-3 seconds. Once I reversed it everything started up fine.

With those PSU's you should not be having problems with power, I run a Enermax 350 with my NF7-S, overclocked 1800+ (1650mhz), 4 IDE devices, 5 80mm case fans, and a overclocked Radeon 8500. Sorry that I could not help except to suggest the heatsink thing, that really goofed me up. good luck

-spike

EDIT: green LED on the board you say? mine has a red led that lights up... is that normal? maybe my system is messed up...

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
both should be lit when operating (in use)

The red LED indicates power to MB
Green indicates succesfull boot / operational I think
( version 1.2 )

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Noid
both should be lit when operating (in use)

The red LED indicates power to MB
Green indicates succesfull boot / operational I think
( version 1.2 )

dunno then, I have a version 2 and I only see a Red LED on at any time on the mobo (besides network LED). I may just not be able to see the green as I have 5 lighted fans and one large light in my case :)

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The green LED is pretty bright! check to see if it's there, should be very close to your Red LED.

Status
Not open for further replies.