Discussion ***Official*** 2021 Stock Market Thread

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Any thoughts on Index funds in here?

Was waiting till some of the election chaos died down, wanted to put a chunk of the nest egg in a nice fund with a history of steady returns and a low rate.

I created a Vanguard account and am looking at the Vanguard ETF and Index funds, but am open to any suggestions or directions of inquiry.

Not sure how old you are but if you are in your 20's and 30's, just pick an index fund that track the S+P500. Why? Because for the last 90 years, typical S+P 500 index fund has an annualized return of about 9.8%.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/18/the-sp-500-has-already-met-its-average-return-for-a-full-year.html (note the article was 2017 so the the number is higher if we include 2018 + 2019 + 2020 but I think you get my point)

Such as VOO, VTI from ETF's or VFIAX, VTSAX from Mutual Funds.

You can even set up a small monthly direct debit from your checking account onto Vanguard to start. I think it is $50 per month so you won't be nervous too much about testing the water plus you have the benefit of dollar cost average.

Then you can go deeper with 3 funds portfolio (US stocks + International stocks + US bonds) = https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-fund_portfolio

And then if you have the stomach and balls, you can go exotic and risky such as short the stocks and currency trading and so on... (warning, you can lose your shirt and more if you are not careful).

Last edited:
Reactions: GodisanAtheist
Nov 8, 2012

Was waiting till some of the election chaos died down, wanted to put a chunk of the nest egg in a nice fund with a history of steady returns and a low rate.

I created a Vanguard account and am looking at the Vanguard ETF and Index funds, but am open to any suggestions or directions of inquiry.

Do whatever you think works best for
S&P Index Fund if you just want to stick with S&P 500
Total Stock Market Index Fund
Global Total Stock Market Index Funds
"3 pillar" strategies of Part Domestic Index, Part International Index, and Part bond index.

Then there is also "Target age" ones that have slightly higher fees (still low though) that auto-adjust for you.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006

VTI = index of 3500 US stocks

VXUS = index of 7500 international stocks

BND = index of 10000 US bonds

those are the big 3 of vanguard ETFs

or if you wanted an all-in-one mutual fund that's a mix of all 3 (plus international bonds), take a look here: https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/all-in-one-funds

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

I've said it before, but when you see market turmoil like we did this year, I really like leveraged index funds. One of the leveraged funds I follow was cut about 80% and is nearing bouncing back in less than 12 months time from March when it hit bottom. That's almost a sure thing had you been sitting on a stack of cash and ready to execute a buy order when it got that low....

Leveraged funds also have a ton more volatility, which means even on a slow day...there's movement. There's opportunity to play peaks and valleys and scrap out 5-10% gains in just a few days and compound your gains even more. It just takes market and news knowledge to know what may drive the S&P to rise and fall sharply. It's very much a guessing game for me, but I've played it pretty safe this year and still done well.

Last edited:

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Maybe the rise in the markets in the last few days is The Selfie Bump. When the markets saw the selfie of the Washington D.C. police officer smiling next to one of the rioters inside the the capitol building the markets thought everything is fine so let's keep going. I had it posted in the 2020 thread forgetting the thread was "'discontinued" so carried it over here.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Do explain...

They make 1 seater EV's in Canada and are expanding in America opening several showrooms and looking to build a production plant. I have 1000@6.90.. They are making larger EV's. The market cap is $530M, but they have as high as $1B before pulling back.

Hard to say what happens in the short term, this is just pure speculation. They will eventually start building a two seater with four wheels that doesnt look too bad: https://electrameccanica.com/tofino/ ,although the practicality of 2 seater is about the same as a 1 seater.....and I've owned three different Miatas!

What I've noticed so far is that this company gets no love from the market makers. It struggles to rally with the other EV stocks, and the MM's knock it down the second someone sneezes in Washington. The range on this looks like $6-$7, barring any news.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

VTSAX all day! almost 70% of my Vanguard money is in VTSAX, the rest is just a few individual stocks, I think. And all of my separate 401k/IRA whatever are generally some comparable version of VTSAX (sometimes also a Vanguard fund, but one of those "Vanguard for TIAAF" funds, you know.), with also some "VTSIAX" thrown in...so whatever "total international" fund is available. These are a little "costly," but that is in perspective to normal Vanguard funds, where "costly" = anything more than 0.1% in fees, lol.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Apple is not backing down or backing off autonomous EV's.

Apple, Hyundai to agree on electric car tie-up early this year - Korea IT News

SEOUL, Jan 10 (Reuters) - Hyundai Motor and Apple Inc plan to sign a partnership deal on autonomous electric cars by March and start production as early as 2024 in the United States, local newspaper Korea IT News reported on Sunday.

The report follows a statement on Friday from Hyundai Motor that it was in early talks with Apple after another local media outlet said the companies were aiming to launch a self-driving electric car in 2027, sending Hyundai shares up nearly 20%.

Citing industry sources, the latest report said the pair plan to build the cars at Kia Motors' factory in Georgia, or jointly invest in a new factory in the United States, with a plan to produce 100,000 vehicles in 2024 at the proposed plant with an annual capacity of 400,000 vehicles. Kia Motors is an affiliate of Hyundai Motors.

The report said Hyundai and Apple plan to release a "beta version" of Apple cars next year. Both Hyundai Motor and Apple did not have any immediate comment.

Reuters reported last month that Apple was moving forward with autonomous car technology and was aiming to produce a passenger vehicle that could include its own breakthrough battery technology as early as 2024.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
BA likely to fall tomorrow. Anyone buying into BA?
You talking the 737 that went down or the max settlement?

The stock shot up as a result of the vaccine approval in October. I really feel like manufacturing is going to be cut because a lot of used planes hit the market this year.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
SOLO presenting at Needham 1/12. Stock up 10%. Tempted to take profits...

Last edited:

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
God, I don't want to jinx myself, but.....

Come on, PFE. Find some serious traction. I need you high as possible a week from now.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
God, I don't want to jinx myself, but.....

Come on, PFE. Find some serious traction. I need you high as possible a week from now.

If Pfizer was making electric cars or mining bitcoin they would be doing well, but since they are only making hundreds of millions of doses of vaccine at $20 a pop, it doesn't seem to move much.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
If Pfizer was making electric cars or mining bitcoin they would be doing well, but since they are only making hundreds of millions of doses of vaccine at $20 a pop, it doesn't seem to move much.

PFE's problem is lack of enthusiasm more than anything else. It just can't gain momentum with investors. They'd rather throw their money at companies like Modena and NVAX.

And thanks O, for offering 10,000,000 new shares without any clear guidance on what's going to happen with the proceeds. That pretty much ends my O experiment right there.

I'm buying back my puts and selling low calls until its gone.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
And thanks O, for offering 10,000,000 new shares without any clear guidance on what's going to happen with the proceeds. That pretty much ends my O experiment right there.

I'm buying back my puts and selling low calls until its gone.

• Realty Income (NYSE:O) commences a public offering of 10.5M shares of its common stock, plus up to an additional 1.575M shares if underwriters exercise their over-allotment option in full.
  • Estimates net proceeds of ~$609.7M.
  • Use of proceeds: To fund property acquisitions.
REITs do this all the time. They have to give most of their earnings away through dividends so they can add debt or sell shares when they want to grow. I am neutral on the raise. If they can turn around, buy some property on the cheap and get a higher rate of return than the extra dividend required by the new shares, then its a good move. I would have preferred they added new shares when the price was at the peak, but its better than adding new shares near the bottom.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
O was my first venture into RIETS. It'll be my last for a while. I did make some money by selling both calls and puts on the shares.

They laud their great annual return since they opened (1994 iirc). But I can make more money elsewhere.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Sold SOLO shares and shorted the $8 put expiring Friday. Short 40 $8 puts @.90 expiring Friday. Current ask is .26. :)

Last edited:

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
It's kind of funny how options can go haywire very once in a while.

The market value of my 2/19 $3 SRNE puts flipped from $70 to $750 overnight. After being up like $680 for a long time I'm now down slightly on the puts. No other SRNE options I hold were affected.

It happened with STX this summer as well. I had puts at 52 and STX was at around 57 or 58 and rising so the puts had lost most of their market value. Then I open my account one day and they're suddenly worth 10x what they were. In the long term nothing happened but it still sent me scrambling to find out if something was up with Seagate.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Infinite short squeeze happening in GME. Incredible. Wallstreetbets asylum inmates are in control now and running the show. WSB autists have accomplished what I thought was impossible. They have shown they are now more powerful group than any Wall Street investment banks or firm. Even more powerful than old media such as CNBC. The inmates are running the asylum. Bravo!

Reactions: IEC and FelixDeCat

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Infinite short squeeze happening in GME. Incredible. Wallstreetbets asylum inmates are in control now and running the show. WSB autists have accomplished what I thought was impossible. They have shown they are now more powerful group than any Wall Street investment banks or firm. Even more powerful than old media such as CNBC. The inmates are running the asylum. Bravo!

I hope this market madness lasts forever. I've been watching the trend on Tilray and bought 1000@15, shorting Fridays 15C for .73.

Long live WSB! :)

Reactions: IEC

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
It's kind of funny how options can go haywire very once in a while.

The market value of my 2/19 $3 SRNE puts flipped from $70 to $750 overnight. After being up like $680 for a long time I'm now down slightly on the puts. No other SRNE options I hold were affected.

It happened with STX this summer as well. I had puts at 52 and STX was at around 57 or 58 and rising so the puts had lost most of their market value. Then I open my account one day and they're suddenly worth 10x what they were. In the long term nothing happened but it still sent me scrambling to find out if something was up with Seagate.

I covered my SOLO 8 put short @.26 this morning. No need to be greedy. ;)

Sometimes you have to grab the fruit before it gets to ripe w/options.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I covered my SOLO 8 put short @.26 this morning. No need to be greedy. ;)

Sometimes you have to grab the fruit before it gets to ripe w/options.

I'm learning.

I haven't even thought about day trading in a long time now. I sell as many options as I can, right up to my trading limit. Then I buy back the ones that don't work out. I have 27 open contracts as of now.

Counting every options transaction I've made (including buying back a few options at a loss) I'm up to about $9400 this month.

Of course - I don't think this strategy would work as well if I had to secure my options with cash.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I was about to write off my January GME $30 calls yesterday. But I decided to "diamond hands" it for S&G.

Well, that epic short squeeze just happened. I sold today and funded all my hobbies for a few years...