Discussion ***Official*** 2021 Stock Market Thread

Page 52 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

Another 712k filed for unemployment this week. The actual unemployment rate has been going down but only because people are running out of eligibility. PUA claims are continuing to increase.

There are jobs out there in the post COVID economy if you want one. I just don't think that most people want to work as an Amazon warehouse worker, a Doordash delivery guy, or a grocery store employee. I'll bet that you could easily get a job helping out with vaccinations as well.

If you don't want to do those jobs, you can always learn how to code and get an IT job somewhere. Or, better yet, get a cybersecurity job where you get to make $100K sitting on your ass watching security dashboards all day.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Ya know, RBLX stock went up 50% today in their IPO. Probably not a bad investment... I'd imagine that a lot of kiddies will be getting Robux gift cards from their parents this year.
RBLX was on my radar last year as the dark horse IPO to buy. I was more excited about RBLX IPO than ABNB because I thought there was potential for RBLX to be undervalued and miss priced by the market. It turned out RBLX execs were smart and got more than full worth of RBLX. I love RBLX but not at current valuation. So I'm on the sideline with RBLX and ABNB because of valuation. At current valuations, I rather buy ABNB. But both are great businesses I would love to buy at the right price.

he would be wearing those tesla short-shorts
I actually tried on the Tesla short-shorts and about tore it. My ass is too fat and big to fit into the shorts. :p

• Haha
Reactions: brianmanahan

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
There are jobs out there in the post COVID economy if you want one. I just don't think that most people want to work as an Amazon warehouse worker, a Doordash delivery guy, or a grocery store employee. I'll bet that you could easily get a job helping out with vaccinations as well.

If you don't want to do those jobs, you can always learn how to code and get an IT job somewhere. Or, better yet, get a cybersecurity job where you get to make $100K sitting on your ass watching security dashboards all day.
Fedex and UPS warehouse package handler is always open for a reason.

;)

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

While I agree about anyone could do warehouse/delivery/grocery/vaccination jobs but coding and cybersecurity jobs are not that easy/attainable.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
My stonks are back to only going up again.

mrteoyw94w941.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: FelixDeCat

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
i cant believe those aholes are suing them for saying things like " the future is Electric" and such. its just a side show to take away attention to the real investigation, the huge trade the night of the announcement and the sudden wind change to Oshkosh from workhorse.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
i cant believe those aholes are suing them for saying things like " the future is Electric" and such. its just a side show to take away attention to the real investigation, the huge trade the night of the announcement and the sudden wind change to Oshkosh from workhorse.

Lawyers. Go figure.

LordNoob

Nov 16, 2003
Got any good recommendations? Im all ears!

Edit: When I make any suggestions Im also trying to point out any flaws with the particular stock. I think it's good to be aware of both positives and negatives before making a choice to buy or sell.

There is always the unknown of course so you have to keep that in mind as well. So it's good to try and see a bigger picture of what might be ahead.

For the next few years the biggest risks are rising rates, tax increases and new regulations on certain sectors.

I wish I had some good recommendations, as I would surely share them. This is an awesome community which I have been following for 20 years now, despite the fact it took me a few years to make an account.

I find myself incredibly busy with my young family and work. It leaves me little time to research investments. Therefore I think my contributions here would be lacking. Thus, I listen to you guys. Keep up the great thread.

I am still kicking myself for not getting in on Rambus. J/K!

Edit: In all seriousness, I can share one prediction: Taxes will inevitably have to increase; perhaps substantially. Anyone with a 20+ year time horizon to retirement would be a fool not to consider Roth 401k/IRA options. Sure, I know this is nothing groundbreaking, but it seems fairly clear. We can't keep printing money and running such massive deficits.

Last edited:
Reactions: FelixDeCat

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I went too crazy with EYES and got restricted to settled funds only.

That cost me as Boeing decides to go kaboom today.

I'm going back in and not leaving again for at least a year.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
We can't keep printing money and running such massive deficits.

We also can't stop. We're at a point where no amount of tax increases can make up for how big the deficit is. You could tax 100% of Bezos wealth, assuming that's even possible without crashing the markets, and fund the govt for what? Two weeks? You'll quickly run out of rich people.

Just enjoy the ride until the world ends.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
We also can't stop. We're at a point where no amount of tax increases can make up for how big the deficit is. You could tax 100% of Bezos wealth, assuming that's even possible without crashing the markets, and fund the govt for what? Two weeks? You'll quickly run out of rich people.
The thing is, we actually do have many, many people in line behind Jeff Bezos. Not with the exact same wealth, but there are over 600 American billionaires. There is no logical plan to tax only the top--I would never suggest doing so outside a forum example. If we did however tax 100% of their wealth, it would easily pay for the typical US budget for the whole year. And the money doesn't disappear, it just gets funneled elsewhere. Much of the money would funnel right back into their hands within a few months using the same mechanism that got them wealthy to begin with. Again, I wouldn't suggest doing so. I'm just opposed to your "quickly run out of rich people" comment.

The deficit is huge and needs to be reduced drastically. We just in this case, had no other feasible options that didn't result in a devastating depression or worse a total collapse of our economy. All we need to do is have a roughly balanced budget for a generation and the debt would be solved. That would require spending cuts and tax increases. To get rid of our entire debt in 30 years would require an average cut of $2750/person/year in spending / increase in taxes. That would be painful. But, $2750 is not impossible.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Just enjoy the ride until the world ends.
Once inflation gets to where it needs to be we can raise taxes. In the meantime, raising taxes on the wealthy has a huge multiplier effect on the deficit because if you are Bezos and the gubmint is going to take your taxes anyway you might as well shovel it onto your employees instead like God intended. Then all the people making way more money will pay way more taxes as a result. Imagine if wages kept pace with productivity like it did until 1980 or so. Not sure what policy changes happened in 1980 but maybe we'll figure out we were sold a tanker of horse piss someday.

Reactions: repoman0

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Why worry about future taxes now? All I know is the people who write and pass the tax laws are all rich. They're not going to write tax laws to screw themselves.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The issue with wanting to raise taxes is taxes only really affect the middle and lower class. Until they fix that raising them only hurts more than anything. Once you get rich enough you have access to lot of loopholes that are legal. This is one of the reasons nothing ever came out of the panama papers, what they were doing is corrupted as hell but is not illegal. If rich people actually had to pay the 50%+ tax like the upper middle class has to pay most countries would no longer be in deficit. (I'm counting ALL taxes here, income, property, sales, capital gains etc... by the time you factor all that it's at least 50% if more)

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
The deficit is huge and needs to be reduced drastically. We just in this case, had no other feasible options that didn't result in a devastating depression or worse a total collapse of our economy. All we need to do is have a roughly balanced budget for a generation and the debt would be solved. That would require spending cuts and tax increases. To get rid of our entire debt in 30 years would require an average cut of $2750/person/year in spending / increase in taxes. That would be painful. But, $2750 is not impossible.

I do agree with you but I hear that line (bolded/underlined)before so many times before and so far all lip service and the deficit and the total debt are going up and up to the roof and beyond.

As a person who is into FIRE ( Financial Independence, Retire Early), I am planning to get out of the rat race within 5 years or less. I am very worry about the potential of sky high inflation which will devalue my money into almost nothing.

One more thing, per the Debt Clock, the US debt is about $28 Trillion and growing fast - https://usdebtclock.org/index.html?taxpayer=

pbchart2.png

pbchart1.png

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The issue with wanting to raise taxes is taxes only really affect the middle and lower class. Until they fix that raising them only hurts more than anything. Once you get rich enough you have access to lot of loopholes that are legal. This is one of the reasons nothing ever came out of the panama papers, what they were doing is corrupted as hell but is not illegal. If rich people actually had to pay the 50%+ tax like the upper middle class has to pay most countries would no longer be in deficit. (I'm counting ALL taxes here, income, property, sales, capital gains etc... by the time you factor all that it's at least 50% if more)
People have to remember the government can get more taxes from the rich but it is under no obligation except political turnover to spend it first on the smallest and most vulnerable people first or to spend the money well.

If any party ends up in a position where it can be safely mono-party, you can expect more taxes yet not see the money going back to the constituents very much.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I do agree with you but I hear that line (bolded/underlined)before so many times before and so far all lip service and the deficit and the total debt are going up and up to the roof and beyond.

As a person who is into FIRE ( Financial Independence, Retire Early), I am planning to get out of the rat race within 5 years or less. I am very worry about the potential of sky high inflation which will devalue my money into almost nothing.

One more thing, per the Debt Clock, the US debt is about $28 Trillion and growing fast - https://usdebtclock.org/index.html?taxpayer=
Inflation is a valid concern when it comes to early retirement. However, I am not aware of any strong link between taxation and inflation. Do you know of any link?

I personally think that globalization and low interest rates have both really helped keep inflation in check. Globalization is easy to understand. If something (like labor costs) goes up in price in one location, we can just shift to another location. Prices stay fairly constant.

The concept that low interest rates keep inflation in check is controversial. It flies in the fact of economics 101 lessons: low interest rates spur demand which leads to inflation. However, I think there is enough evidence now that we are in a different normal: low interest rate loans in the last decade have really been going mostly to businesses. Thus low interest rates spur production which leads to lower prices.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
The thing is, we actually do have many, many people in line behind Jeff Bezos. Not with the exact same wealth, but there are over 600 American billionaires. There is no logical plan to tax only the top--I would never suggest doing so outside a forum example. If we did however tax 100% of their wealth, it would easily pay for the typical US budget for the whole year. And the money doesn't disappear, it just gets funneled elsewhere. Much of the money would funnel right back into their hands within a few months using the same mechanism that got them wealthy to begin with. Again, I wouldn't suggest doing so. I'm just opposed to your "quickly run out of rich people" comment.
Oh wait, you're serious?

Of those people you mentioned, about 99% of their wealth is in stocks. Who would buy it at current prices? No one of course. That money literally doesn't exist. That's like saying we could fund moon bases if just everyone sold their house at current market values.

Too late. Once you give people the free supply, you can't shut it off. 30 years of sustained cuts and simultaneous tax hikes are about as realistic as me growing horse legs.

Reactions: IEC