Discussion ***Official*** 2020 Stock Market Thread

Page 116 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
NOW....one could argue, without the FED printing tonnes of money and the government borrowing over 4 TRILLION DOLLARS to calm markets down, we might still be at those lows or might have recovered part way on our own merit.

It bothers me greatly that we doled out so much money, when a smaller amount might have worked - and we are not done yet.

Now they even want another $2 TRILLION in student loan forgiveness. LOL!!

Everyone has their hand out, including millionaires. And there is nobody to say NO except the small Republican minority who will be hounded mercilessly by the Democrat media and late night Democrat comedy shows for the next two years until Republicans take the House in 2022 (the party opposite the president usually always takes the House in mid-term elections).

Last edited:

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Short-term I've stopped caring what the fed does after I bought our first home a few months ago. I've hedged against future inflation with a fixed low rate mortgage. Rates are even lower now but conversely home prices are also higher. And it's not just the US printing money - it's the entire world.

Long-term I do care because these kinds of decisions the dinosaurs in office make are impacting the kind of society and maybe even where my son will grow up after they're gone from this planet. I will no longer vote by party but instead vote by age - that is whoever is the youngest on the ballot gets my vote. So at least if we screw it up, then it wasn't fully at the mercy of the generations above.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
On 2/20/2020 I posted this......

..I actually had no idea TSLA would be $3,500 by YEAR END!! (split adjusted).

On 2/20/20, the price of TSLA was $895 (split adjusted), dipped to $361 during the depths of the panic COVID selloffs, and recovered to unthinkable highs, all in one year.

Incredible.

That reminds me... the price went over $694.20.

Time to wear the short shorts, Ponyo :)

• Haha
Reactions: ponyo

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
TSLA strength this morning is surprising me. Sure the stock is down from the $695 Friday printed close but I don't view that as the true price. Around $674-$680 was the true Friday closing price. For TSLA to only be down like $10-$15 this morning after that epic month long S&P inclusion run is super bullish. It's absorbing the selling pressure extremely well. I was expecting way bigger and stronger hangover after the S&P event. I think some of the S&P benchmark funds are buying shares of TSLA today and could buy all this week and into the end of the year. These are the active managed funds that try to beat the S&P 500. I think they didn't want to buy with the S&P into the frenzy and planned to buy after the inclusion during the hangover. So maybe they're giving the stock some bid and support today and will continue to give bid all this week. So I bought back some of the TSLA shares I sold $680 at the close on Friday at $654 this morning. It's big net loss after taxes compared to if I just kept my shares but that's history and in the past now. Going forward, I have higher cost basis on the new shares so I will freely trade these as I see fit and not worry about taxes anymore.

Towards the end of next week, we should see other active mutual funds and hedge funds buy TSLA for the end of the quarter and yearend window dressing. What that means is these funds did not own TSLA or only briefly traded TSLA all quarter/year. But they want to buy TSLA before 12/31 and have it on their books to show their fund clients and shareholders that yes they owned TSLA this quarter and this year. Basically they want to make it appear they caught the giant move in TSLA this quarter/year. Because if TSLA is not on the fund holdings listings at the end of the year, their clients might ask, "Hey, how come our fund doesn't own TSLA? Did you guys not do your homework and miss the stock of the year and the massive TSLA move in 2020?" So these loser fund managers will buy TSLA before the end of the year to make it appear they owned TSLA all year when they didn't. They need to show TSLA as holding in their funds when the fund end of the year statement and new marketing materials go out. That's how these loser fund managers keep their job and stay in business.

Last edited:

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
RE S&P500 inclusion: Lol it now looks like I directly own 2 shares of TSLA in my WF500 direct indexing account, I also must own some via VTI as well:

Transactions_-_Wealthfront-2.png

Last edited:

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I think the market is still going higher, on the way to QQQ 330, maybe early next year, despite some small pullbacks.

I think. ;)

Last edited:

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Well Biden just came out and said he wants a third round of stimulus checks as part of yet another pork-laden stimulus package. Sky's the limit as long as money printer go brrrrrrrrrrrr

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
^ And Trump wants to go out with a bang by insisting this round's payments be $2000 per person. Money just grows on trees now. Its not that hard to make a currency worthless.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Man I wish I had not flipped BLNK so fast...made about a grand on 600 shares @ $30.

If had waited 7 more days I would have made over $11,000 :(

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I hear you. man. I'm down like $15000 from where I was on my Pfizer deal. I'm surprised - I figured PFE might take a downturn to around 40 but not to this extent.

But I'm still up like $10,000 (VTRS shares included) so no reason to panic. And Pfizer's not going away. I'll just have to be patient (which is not my strong suit).

They're about to sell another 100 million doses to US gov.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Watching the drop in BABA with interest. Bought small amount of BABA Jan 2022 deep in the money leap calls. Not trying to be a hero as today is just day 1, and I doubt today is the bottom. When a stock drops like this, it takes days/weeks for the drop to fully play out. But I wanted to get my toes in the door in case I'm wrong and today is the bottom. Xi and the Chinese ruling party are going to teach Jack Ma a lesson he will never forget.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
2021 thread created...

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Anyone think Electra Meccanica could work for day trading? Symbol SOLO, closed at $2.64 Friday. To make a little over $250 usd on a single buy/sell per day based on hoping the stock goes up 0.03 (3 cents) at some point during the day you'd need tens of thousands of dollars to buy. (Edit: about $25K) But some people here have that so it's probably not that big of a deal overall for this forum.

They make the one occupant 3 wheeled electric cars, named the same as their ticker symbol.

When you asked me about this back in late October, I gave my honest opinion. I was skeptical and did not consider it any further.

Who knew within 30 days the stock would go from $2.64 to over $10.50. A 400% return just a month away. Wow.

It has since pulled back to $7, and who knows if it winds back up in $2'ville. But it was actually a damn good play, wish I kept my eye on it.

Be sure to post more stock ideas, I love good trades. :)

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
When you asked me about this back in late October, I gave my honest opinion. I was skeptical and did not consider it any further.

Who knew within 30 days the stock would go from $2.64 to over $10.50. A 400% return just a month away. Wow.

It has since pulled back to $7, and who knows if it winds back up in $2'ville. But it was actually a damn good play, wish I kept my eye on it.

Be sure to post more stock ideas, I love good trades. :)
The only one I may be able to suggest is Terrascend Corp, TRSSF but it's OTC. I didn't get in on their nice rise from Feb 2020. It's a cannabis company.

As for the stock in your post, Electrameccanica, SOLO, I also missed its big jump up and I got in kind of late and wound up making a little over $12k, much lower than what it could have been. And I haven't bought since. Waiting for it to go down to $4 or $5 so I can buy a lot and let it sit for six months in hopes they can build cars to sell to the over 50,000 people on a waiting list.

Reactions: FelixDeCat