**Official 2018-19 NFL Post Season Trilogy: CHAMPIONSHIP SUNDAY!!**

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Id take it one step further and allow you to challenge non calls. Like that Saints PI. The coach should be able to exhaust one to say he was interfered with. If he is wrong eh loses a time out. Basically id keep the same rules in play they have now, except id make all calls and non calls challenegable.
How is that one step further? That's pretty much the exact same thing I said lol.

Nov 29, 2006
So would have better coaching by Sean Peyton prior to that play happening.

You could say that about every team every down though. Refs still need to do their job. That PI was so blatently obvious the ref who didnt call it should be lynched.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You could say that about every team every down though. Refs still need to do their job. That PI was so blatently obvious the ref who didnt call it should be lynched.
My point is that putting an entire game on one play in a game full of around 100 plays is dumb. We also have no clue what transpires after that play, IF the penalty was called. Sure it was a chip shot FG, but we don't know.

And on top of that, the Saints had the ball first in OT, and everyone crying about the OT rules in this thread making it sound like it's an automatic win for the team that wins the coin toss, the rules didn't help the Saints in that game. They had the ball first with a chance to drive it down the Rams throat and Brees made a bad decision to throw the ball that got picked off, and the Rams took advantage of that and won.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
NFL OT rules are fine as they are. They were better before the whole "if you score a FG the other team has a chance to score" bullshit too. College rules are dumb.

So if both teams are allowed to get the ball, and team A scores a TD, then team B scores a TD, then what? Then is it just back to sudden death at that point? And if so, why not just do that from the start as they do right now?
no you keep playing with each team getting a possession until 1 team doesnt score or the period ends

just like Soccer does it

sudden death is the worst of any type of system. period

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
no you keep playing with each team getting a possession until 1 team doesnt score or the period ends

just like Soccer does it

sudden death is the worst of any type of system. period
So then your problem with the OT rules doesn't have to do with both teams not getting a chance to score. It has to do with sudden death. Gotcha.

Soccer OT is the worst with PK's. Games being decided by PK's is the worst possible thing in any sport in OT. I hate it in the NHL too but I'm glad they change the rules for playoffs. At least in hockey though in regular season you get a point for losing in OT.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
So then your problem with the OT rules doesn't have to do with both teams not getting a chance to score. It has to do with sudden death. Gotcha.

Soccer OT is the worst with PK's. Games being decided by PK's is the worst possible thing in any sport in OT. I hate it in the NHL too but I'm glad they change the rules for playoffs. At least in hockey though in regular season you get a point for losing in OT.

they play 2 periods before PKs. and ive never been a fan of PKs

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
1. make OT in the NFL more like the NCAA
2. make non-calls challengeable in the NFL like the CFL

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I can't stand NCAA OT rules. I kind of get why they do it though, because defense in NCAA is pretty much non existent.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
IMO what they need to do is just make every play reviewable instead of these arbitrary reasons for some being challengable and some not. And keep the same challenge rule where coaches have 2, etc.

Yep, everthing needs to be challengenable, keeping the same challenge rules in place as far as the amount of challenges and lost challenges costing a timeout.

Reactions: woodman1999

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
They were changed just a few years ago, previously if a team kicked a FG it was game over, now the other team gets a chance after a FG.

Most people complaining about that don't want Brady in the Super Bowl. They forget that the Chiefs didn't use a time out and played all world bad on defense in OT.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Also, about the missed call, Sean Peyton's play calling was atrocious.

He passed the ball on first down and third down (the no PI call) and the clocked stopped for the Rams, conserving one timeout.

He should have ran the ball 3 times in a row, forced the Rams to use their remaining 2 TO's, kicked a pretty automatic FG, then the Rams would have hardly had any time to go down and try to get a FG to tie the game.

Yep, totally agree. I think he was overthinking it as we all knew that the Saints needed to run it. These coaches need to call the game the right way. Stop trying to be clever when you're trying to close a game out.

Peyton, I think, was doing one or two things: (1) trying to out think the Rams defense, or (2) letting his pride get in the way because he wanted to prove they couldn't prevent him from getting a TD (like they had most of the game).

Yeah, Peyton takes a LOT of the blame for that.

Reactions: purbeast0
Aug 11, 2008
I think the refs were bad in BOTH games, especially the Saints game.

I can see coaches perhaps having the ability to challenge one flag/non-flag per half or per game.

No way the refs should get away with that Saints call. THAT was blatant.

One of the worst non-calls I have ever seen in a playoff game. I view it as delayed karma for Bounty Gate and the intentional beating they gave Bret Farve in the NFC championship game when he was with the Vikings. (Yea, I am a bitter Vikings fan, and hate the Saints, and especially Sean Peyton with a passion).

As for the chiefs, their defensive line was terrible. Hard to win a game against the Pats when you give up big chunks of running yardage and Brady will still tear you apart if you give him a clean pocket. I do give a lot of credit to Mahomes and the offense. Couldnt have asked for more from him, but they certainly need to upgrade the defensive line to be a consistent Super Bowl centender.

Aug 11, 2008
NFL OT rules are fine as they are. They were better before the whole "if you score a FG the other team has a chance to score" bullshit too. College rules are dumb.

So if both teams are allowed to get the ball, and team A scores a TD, then team B scores a TD, then what? Then is it just back to sudden death at that point? And if so, why not just do that from the start as they do right now?

This is professional sports, the highest level. The rules shouldn't change in overtime to be 'fair'. It is perfectly fair. The whole game the defense needs to make stops to win the game so it should continue in the overtime.

Chiefs fans whining about it right now is straight loser talk.

Straight from a losers mouth too...

Kirk Cousins, now there is an expert in playoff football!!

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
LOL what are the chances Goodell would line the teams up and replay that last Saints drive seeing how bad that non-call was?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
true, every time it got to third down you just knew they were going to leave a huge hole open.
They had the Pats in 3rd and 10 three times in a row I think, and the Pats converted.

But nope! It's not the Chiefs defenses fault that the Pats converted and the Chiefs didn't get the ball back. It's the coin flip!

(even though the Saints won their coin flip and lost the game)

Reactions: Retro Rob

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Saints were only robbed on one call. After that they gave the game away, literally.

True, but with that call being called as 100% of the football world knows it should have been called, the Saints could have kicked the field goal (at worst), and effectively run the clock down to something like 10 seconds.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Also, about the missed call, Sean Peyton's play calling was atrocious.

He passed the ball on first down and third down (the no PI call) and the clocked stopped for the Rams, conserving one timeout.

He should have ran the ball 3 times in a row, forced the Rams to use their remaining 2 TO's, kicked a pretty automatic FG, then the Rams would have hardly had any time to go down and try to get a FG to tie the game.

yeah, there was a lot of dumbshit in that series because of Sean Peyton, which is basically his MO. the pass on 1st down was particularly atrocious. Still, getting 1st down on that PI that happened would have allowed them to more or less erase that saved TO from the Rams and after 3 runs, the Rams would have little left that they could do.

Reactions: Retro Rob

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

This is professional sports, the highest level. The rules shouldn't change in overtime to be 'fair'. It is perfectly fair. The whole game the defense needs to make stops to win the game so it should continue in the overtime.

Chiefs fans whining about it right now is straight loser talk.

Straight from a losers mouth too...

I prefer the current OT rules. It is way better than kicking the FG to win on first possession, but still, I don't think that is the worst. People like to forget that these are professionals on defense as well. They have a job to do, and their job is stop the team from scoring. There seems to be this desire to remove half of the team from their extremely well-paid responsibility when it comes to complaining about the OT rules.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
yeah, there was a lot of dumbshit in that series because of Sean Peyton, which is basically his MO. the pass on 1st down was particularly atrocious. Still, getting 1st down on that PI that happened would have allowed them to more or less erase that saved TO from the Rams and after 3 runs, the Rams would have little left that they could do.
People are also forgetting about the missed facemasking call against the Saints on Goff on the drive that resulted in a FG instead of that penalty putting them at like first and goal on the 2 yard line. That's pretty much a 4 point swing.

I just hate when people put an entire 60 minute game (longer than that in this case due to OT) on 1 play when it's not even the last play of the game.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
People are also forgetting about the missed facemasking call against the Saints on Goff on the drive that resulted in a FG instead of that penalty putting them at like first and goal on the 2 yard line. That's pretty much a 4 point swing.

I just hate when people put an entire 60 minute game (longer than that in this case due to OT) on 1 play when it's not even the last play of the game.

As much as I agree with this all the time, this is a situation where it really should have been the last call, practically last play of the game. Sean Peyton was stupid to call a pass on that first down, but then here we have what would have been a second set of downs, in essentially the same situation. Does the same stupid thing happen? (maybe--it is Sean Peyton) Likely it does not, and the Saints finish that drive with no worse than the same 3 point advantage, but also no more than ~10 seconds on the clock for the Saints to run one play.

Yes yes, all of the dumb plays and calls leading up to this are their thing, because things happened after those to make them less meaningful....and this no-call actually is that that thing, lol.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Yea, usually I'm with the whole it's only one play, but the fact it was so god damn blatant was the issue. The defender didn't even try to go for the ball to disguise it. It's one thing for a ticky-tacky holding or PI call, but was just soooooo bad with refs right there watching AND even fucking discussing it after it happened.