***Official*** 2013 Stock Market Thread

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bookem dano

Oct 19, 1999
AMD for the long haul is a gamble to me. I have a few shares I bought awhile ago and am now uncertain about their future. I'm keeping them b/c I think they will eventually pull out of the funk, but I am not sure how much I would add to what I already have.

Had I played them properly I would be very happy, but hindsight is 20/20.

They are low enough to add to if you are comfortable with hanging on to it for the very long haul.

Why have I not gotten rid of something I am overall down almost 50%?
Well, the PS4 is including some AMD tech that I think may help them.
They are coming off having to take some big hits on the books.

Most analysts say hold, only a few say buy and I would think the above are part of that reason. There could be some exciting things in the future for AMD.

Downside....they have had some issues with exec management overturn. direction and some assets have been shed without increasing value to the stocks bottom line. Banking on the PS4 to help may be a blunder, look at the Nintendo U...it uses AMD GPU but that hasn't helped boost the shares.

They are an underdog and at a disadvantage for the PC market, but I think they are more of a competitor for the GPU market. However, that market is in an odd state and the computer market is going the way of the tablets.

At this point I'd only gamble some leftover dividends or some other leftovers that are not high enough to use on your favorite stock. At that point I'd also look hard at Sprint. Yes....sprint.

Why is that? I bought it at 2.90 and it's now $6. AMD is just under $3. Sprint is coming into having LTE instead of WiMax and has one of the better all inclusive data plans while now including access to the iPhone.(see why I got it so 'cheap'). I've more than doubled my investment in sprint, but it was done with leftovers in my account so I figure I may as well keep it for quite awhile.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
As per standard practice I set a limit order to sell at 2X the entry price. It filled.

jessieqwert

Jun 21, 2003
I'm out of most of my speculative positions, holding only a few long term plays. Waiting for a nice dive.

What's everyone else playing these days?

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
I'm out of most of my speculative positions, holding only a few long term plays. Waiting for a nice dive.

I have been waiting for a dive for weeks. It just doesn't seem to go down even when jobs numbers were so bad. Finding good values is getting harder.

I am about 50% in, 50% cash. The 50% is in stocks that I think are still undervalued and that haven't seen as big a gain as the rest.

BP (still waiting for the court case to finish)
SAIC (they will pay out a $1 dividend in June and split the company in 3rd quarter, FWD PE is around 10)
FCX (copper has been down and may be at near bottom. Company will soon get Oil assets in earnings from acquisitions)
MSFT (perpetually undervalued. I am hoping the new Xbox will push them up a bit)

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001

MU has been an absolute gold mine and I expect it'll continue to go up.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Finally positive in GMCR, waiting to see how thing look near ER, then I'll decide to keep or sell.
NVDA and OCZ seem like lost causes, at least NVDA has the dividend.
Rest are long term holds.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Dafuq happened to MSFT? I stop paying attention for a few days and it's up like $1.50 (5%-ish). Yes, I hab sum.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Dafuq happened to MSFT? I stop paying attention for a few days and it's up like $1.50 (5%-ish). Yes, I hab sum.

Some capital investment manager talked about MSFT and its decent dividend (2x 10-year treasury yield) on CNBCs squawkbox. Then the lemmings started flocking to it.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Anyone go into oil/gas trusts for dividends? Thinking of holding them for a few years and then bailing before they get anywhere near the end.

ie. WHZ (18%) or CHKR (17%)

LordNoob

Nov 16, 2003
Re OCZ: Pretty much any company with exposure to the PC market tanked today. New figures on the PC market decline came out today.

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
Re OCZ: Pretty much any company with exposure to the PC market tanked today. New figures on the PC market decline came out today.

Ah that makes sense. Also appears they missed some SEC
filing deadline.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Some capital investment manager talked about MSFT and its decent dividend (2x 10-year treasury yield) on CNBCs squawkbox. Then the lemmings started flocking to it.

Funny. Looks like a pump & dump.

It went up about 5% over 2 days from the lemmings and the second the "OMFG, PC sales down, MSFT fuxxored" hit on day 3, it dropped back to the price before the pump and stayed there.

Speaking of pump & dumps, BB/BBRY got dumped hard from one report of a huge rate of returns. How are "research companies" and "capital investment managers" allowed to do shit like this...

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I heard last week it was the highest its ever been. We were discussing it in my corporate accounting class.