***Official*** 2013 Stock Market Thread

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Have a limit order in but it is going to take a 20% drop in share price for me to buy.

I am always concerned about that type of buying. If the stock drops 20% in one day on som sort of bad news, you can get your trade triggered when you might hae not bought considering what the news is.

I prefer to get sent an alert rather than having a limit order in.

If I were to just want the stock, just not at the current price, I tend to sell uncovered puts and wait to get put. If I don't, at least I make the put premium (so I don't lose upside). I would only do that for stocks I consider to be the type that would become core long term holdings but some sort of momentum trading appears to have raised the price too much temporarily.

Michael

Sep 29, 2004
Michael,

I try to approach investing in a way as to not care about getting burned on short term movements. If I view a stock as being worth $10 and I think my assumptions are sound, I will more than gladly buy it for $5 even if it drops to $4 two minutes later. I just paid 50 cents for a dollar. I don't worry about the fact that I could have paid 40 cents for a dollar. When things like this happen, I don't really care. Inevitability is usually on my side (eventually).

As strange as it sounds, reading about psychology and how your one;s emotions can work against them is a sound thing to do as an investor. If one understands why they get upset over such things, it's easier to ignore one's emotions. It's more important than most investors realize.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases

Confirmation Bias is HUGE! Pretty much explains why people could be loosing money day trading while they think they are making money.

On that note, FBN is near a 52 week low today!

Last edited:

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
That's not my point.

Let's say I like KLIC also (and I should have enough knowledge about the industry they serve plus their management to make a judgment). I have looked at it and for whatever reason I like the longer term prospects, but I think the stock is a little over vaued right now.

My two choices are to wait until it goes down (your choice) or to "buy" it at a lower price today.

So I look at the July Puts.

I can sell a Jul $10 Put at $0.55. If I get Put, I am buying the stock at $9.45 which is about an 11.5% discount from today's close. If I don't get Put, I make the option premium. If the stock goes up, I "missed" the upside, but I already made the choice not to buy it. If the stock trades sideways or down but not below the Put price, then I make the option premium.

You said you have an order in at 20% less than the current price. That is about $8.54 at today's close. If you are already willing to buy regardless of what causes it to go down 20%, you can sell $9 Jul Puts for about $0.30. The prices out to a net price of $8.70, not too far from your target and you make money over the next 5 months or so if it does not go down to your target price.

This all ties into you thinking that you are fine owning the stock and are not so concerned about shorter term movements.

Michael

ps - I think the $10.67 I used above is an afterhours price and the close was $10.82. Doesn't change my basic point much

Last edited:

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
In the case where I have decided on a target price and a decision to exit a stock, i can do a similar trade, but with covered calls. Let's say I bought KLIC a while ago at $9 and I am happy to sell at $11. I can sell July $10 calls at about $1.40. If the stock gets called away from me at $10, then I actually sell if for a net $11.40. As long as the stock stays over $10, I hit my target. If it falls below $10, then I have $1.40 "protection" built in.

Both the Put and the Call strategy I just mentioned come with higher transaction costs plus they only make sense if you have made a firm buy or sell decision with a target price.

Michael

Last edited:

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Sell FAZ Mar 2013 $12 calls @ 30 cents. These things were 3 cents just two trading hours ago. I wish I could say I got them for that price. Almost did but 10 cents wasnt a bad price either.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
wow, SGMO is over $10 now...bought some last yr around $5 because of the Berlin patient story and you know how much I love risky biotech stocks.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
It also helps to give you armor against "regret" for setting the target price too low because if the stock goes up, you make money on the Put premium you pocket.

Michael

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
Jack Welch (former chairman of General Electric) last September:
"one great statistic is most of these businesses are operating at about 70% or 80% of the 2007 peak in revenue. their profitability is back to 2007/2008 levels. because they cut the heck out of jobs. yes. 30% fewer people working in these jobs. and automation has taken out tons of jobs). the old belly to belly salesman is replaced with an ipad and other information. we don't have to have all these people chasing inventories. the stories of productivity are incredible in these plants. you're not going to get some of those old jobs back. unless you get big demand. because you've got to put more people in the street for that. but in general, the stories are the same. oh, we're recovering. yeah, we're back to 75% of where we were in '07. but our profits are back to where they were. but we're 30% down in people. it's a common theme. business after business after business."

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000117011&play=1 (specific comments are around 2:40 mark, but I recommend starting at 1:40 point for greater context)

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000114304&play=1 (start at 2:45 mark, where Brandeis economics professor says we have lost as many jobs to robotics as have been outsourced to China)

I remember reading an article on Zerohedge last year where a Goldman paper had listed fair value for market around 1600 and Fed's model putting it at 1700 (S & P 500, not Dow).

A lot of macro tail risks have been removed or at least contained and economy does appear to be growing (albeit sluggishly right now).

Morningstar recently had market at about fair value / slightly below it: http://www.morningstar.com/cover/market-fair-value-graph.aspx

And just yesterday Warren Buffett said that stocks are still cheap, at least relative to all other assets, and especially given how low interest rates are:
"Anything I bought at $80 I don't like as well at $100. But if you're asking me if stocks are cheaper than other forms of investment, in my view the answer is yes. We're buying stocks now. But not because we expect them to go up. We're buying them because we think we're getting good value for them."

He said stocks are not "as cheap as they were four years ago" but "you get more for your money" compared to other investments. He added, "The dumbest investment, in my view, is a long-term government bond."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100515743

He was asked about his acquisition of Heinz, and he said it was a great business, but the price he paid was just on the edge of what he considered acceptable.

Wonder if the great rotation out of bonds into stocks, which I think had a false start last spring, might be starting now, though as a glacially slow process, rather than discrete event completed in a blink of the eye.

Technical analyst Louise Yamada had previously talked about central bankers trying to walk the tight rope between inflation and deflation last fall (whole video clip is good, but inflation deflation tightrope implications start around 4:15 mark: http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/brea...mada-120820358.html?desktop_view_default=true) and she is on CNBC's Fast Money this evening, so interesting to see if she updates those previous comments. Yamada commented that the bull market was long in the tooth then, but that uptrend had not yet been broken.

Permabull Thomas Lee of JP Morgan (http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?play=1&video=3000144148) said the bull market he says started in 2009 was only about mid-cycle and would ultimately top out 4 years later at Dow 18000 - 20000 (S & P 500 peak earnings of $150 with 17 multiple). More recently, he has been calling for a tactical pull back, though.

(If we are really at the incipient stages of a new multi-year bull market, then I would look beyond what politicians say, but details of policies they put in place, and how market reacts to supposed bad news (politicians just kicking the can down the road), and see if elements of stealth Grand Bargain (http://www.economonitor.com/dolanec...ns-underline-need-for-goldilocks-budget-deal/) stabilize debt over 10 years are being put in place in bits and pieces, just not as a single piece of sweeping legislation that politically can be viewed as great victory of Obama over wing nut Republicans in House of Represenatives, and then if things such as corporate tax reform / repatration of foreign profits, and once debt is stabilized, whether Republicans will allow Obama to proceed with large infra-structure stimulus program to get the economy growing at faster rate)

Last edited:

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
Technical analyst Louise Yamada:

- August 2012 (bull market is long in the tooth, but the uptrend has not been broken, yet): http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/bull-market-long-tooth-yamada-120820358.html (inflation / deflation tightrope and necessity for choosing stocks with substantive growth in tepid inflation environment starts around 3:50 mark)

- Today: (new structural bull market?; lots of Dow stocks appear to be completely 10 year bases or are emerging from them: IBM previously and now consolidating, Disney, Coca-Cola, MMM, Johnson and Johnson, Proctor and Gamble, Home Depot, Verizon, and Walmart): http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?play=1&video=3000152069 (start around 1:55 mark)

I heard comment elsewhere that S & P 500 1600 is apparently the top of current uptrend channel.

(If we make a run at that, or through that, as a simplistic intellectual construct for me at least, if current tail risks continue to be contained (e. g. Japanification of Europe, China not imploding), then catalyst for a real breakout into new sustained bull market could be a stealth Grand Bargain that stabilizes our debt over 10 years, hopefully includes reforms that improve our competitiveness globally going forward, and an infrastructure stimulus bill to promote faster growth here in the U. S. Would obviously think the market moves well before evening news is broadcasting, well after the fact, that a Grand Bargain had indeed been pieced together in bits and pieces over time).

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
One of those companies that is priced for death:
https://www.google.com/finance?client=ig&q=NYSE:FBN

Bought in a few days ago at $1.05. Wanted to get in for 90 cents but never got in. As it broke a dollar I just bought it.

Lucky I did.

Their problem is that they are furniture. That industry is becoming more and more commodity driven. Brands mean less and less. the thing is, this company does high end, mid tier and low end through all sort of brands which I always like.

AS housing recovers, more furniture should be purchased in theory. I forget the average lifetime of furniture (7-10 years I think) but many people that bought in 2000-2007 are going to start replacing their old furniture soon. I would guess that many people (like me) are waiting for signs that the economy is doing great.

If anyone researches FBN, be sure to read a few of their competitors annual reports to learn more about the state of the industry. I don't think FBN is the best run business but I also think it is a business that an idiot could run.

core2slow

Mar 7, 2008
Anyone got any insights on BBRY? The blackberry Z10 will be out on all carriers by the end of march, but I don't know if the current security certification with the UK will have any affect on the stock price..

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
Anyone got any insights on BBRY? The blackberry Z10 will be out on all carriers by the end of march, but I don't know if the current security certification with the UK will have any affect on the stock price..

second that. Oddly there was a huge leap yesterday even after the UK declared the security issue. I've been holding and been twitching to sell but am indecisive so am holding by default.

core2slow

Mar 7, 2008
second that. Oddly there was a huge leap yesterday even after the UK declared the security issue. I've been holding and been twitching to sell but am indecisive so am holding by default.
I would guess that yesterday's bump was in anticipation for the release of the Z10 on AT&T...which will be tomorrow. Hopefully I'm wrong and that many investors don't think that rimm will have any problem getting the certification in the UK. I'm anxious ad well!

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000

I bought at $17 to ride the wave higher a month or two ago... I've been down up to about 30%, now I'm almost back to par. It's so high risk that I only bought a few shares and wasn't willing to add to my position when it went down.

Sep 29, 2004

Love the biased media ....

Here's the official word from CESG on the matter:
"Discussions with BlackBerry are ongoing about the use of the BlackBerry 10 platform in government. We have not yet performed an evaluation of the security of that platform, but we expect to be issuing Platform Guidance in the summer. This will cover a number of platforms including Blackberry 10 (and the use of 'Balance'). We have a long standing security partnership with BlackBerry and this gives us confidence that the BlackBerry 10 platform is likely to represent a viable solution for UK Government."

To answer other question. The run up a day or two ago was due to an upgrade. Goldman I think? Put a target of $22 on it (up from $10) while saying they think 34 million (or so) BB10 based phones will sell in the next fiscal year (FY2012 ended just a month ago)

I have put about 10% of my portolio into BBRY stock through stock and options. Mostly options. It's hard to put a number on it, but I am up about 600% right now (on average). FWIW: About 40% of the money I invested was done so near the bottom of $7 or $8. My best options (2 lots) are up about 2000%.

I will start to sell when BBRY breaks $20. I'm thinking of slicing 5% or so of my options off my portfolio.

But I have absolutely no worries about BBRY long term (5 years out). People need to stop reading about the hate in the USA and start reading about what has already happeed in places like Canada and the UK and India and ..... the list goes on. Blackberry is expected to have 8-16% smartphone market share in Canada in 1 year according to one poll. I quite frankly think the Z10 already has about 1% in Canada. Stop being overly worried about what a portion of 5% of the worlds population thinks. There is another 95% out there.

Last edited:

core2slow

Mar 7, 2008
I bought at $17 to ride the wave higher a month or two ago... I've been down up to about 30%, now I'm almost back to par. It's so high risk that I only bought a few shares and wasn't willing to add to my position when it went down.
It's definitely high risk at this point but once they re-established their market penetration I think they'll be back in the $30-40 no problem.
But I have absolutely no worries about BBRY long term (5 years out). People need to stop reading about the hate in the USA and start reading about what has already happeed in places like Canada and the UK and India and ..... the list goes on. Blackberry is expected to have 8-16% smartphone market share in Canada in 1 year according to one poll. I quite frankly think the Z10 already has about 1% in Canada. Stop being overly worried about what a portion of 5% of the worlds population thinks. There is another 95% out there.
I'm definitely holding it for the long term. It's still a bargain at sub 20s and I think RIMM has their eyes wide open to what's around them rather than being stagnant 2-3yrs ago. The reviews for the Z/Q10 from all the major tech sites have been nothing short of stellar and the only hurdle left for them to tackle would be marketing. I'm not sure which direction they will approach with the marketing considering the dichotomy of the BB10 platform.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Executing another FAZ call option trade. This one is for the April $11 call at 40 cents. I have another extremely bearish chart pattern. The last one ended up exploding into a 40 pt rally, and maybe this one will too. I doubt it, but either way I dont care. I expect extreme volatility on monday/tuesday regardless of where we end up on friday.