***Official*** 2013 Stock Market Thread

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Tempted to short AMZN prior to webcast. Too expensive though

Clearly if it was gauged on earnings as a primary metric, Amzn would be the easiest short in the world. Amazon's key that isn't talked about when discussing its clear indications of being overvalued, is its P/S.

If they sold more sheet, likely, it's gonna pop even if their earnings don't match the rest of the market requirements for growth.

For the market Amazon is about sales, not earnings. This is why the PE is astronomical and climbing. If AMZN were valued as AAPL, AZMN would trade at <$1. AAPL just made 3x as much profit in one Q as AMZN has made during it's entire life.

Cliffs: Don't short AMZN unless you think their sales during the Holiday Q were down.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
lots of chatter on BIDU - anyone hear of them?

It's like the Chinese google. Fairly popular over there so their numbers are decent, been an interesting stock since it came on the NYSE.

--

Damn, played the wrong way with Ford. Stupid Europe and it's troubles. Oh well, looks like it settled at 13, which is nice enough. Wait and see if it forms a bottom here and then double down. Really should have sold it yesterday at 13.80 after entering at 13.45 pre-market.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
This amazon earnings is one for the ages.

Ugly as a three headed pig and soaring in AH trading.

I can't envision any rational person getting an early look at the earnings report and deciding to do anything other than short the hell of the stock.

You have to ask if this was a human reaction or a high frequency trading algorithm used to simply squeeze smart money that went short into earnings because that's where most the money to be stolen was.

Edit: NM, sales were up 22% and looks like some sort of one off with a tax rate that caused earnings to be substantially lower than they otherwise would have been. Up we go.

Last edited:

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
It's like the Chinese google. Fairly popular over there so their numbers are decent, been an interesting stock since it came on the NYSE.

--

Damn, played the wrong way with Ford. Stupid Europe and it's troubles. Oh well, looks like it settled at 13, which is nice enough. Wait and see if it forms a bottom here and then double down. Really should have sold it yesterday at 13.80 after entering at 13.45 pre-market.
I told you it wouldn't be good today. :whiste:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i dont get why people give a crap about the DOW index. it has what, 30 stocks? and they are equal weighted, not market cap weighted?

the S&P has the top 500 weighted by market cap. and the wilshire 5000 has basically every publicly trading company in the US.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
i dont get why people give a crap about the DOW index. it has what, 30 stocks? and they are equal weighted, not market cap weighted?

the S&P has the top 500 weighted by market cap. and the wilshire 5000 has basically every publicly trading company in the US.

DOW's actually price weighted, if I remember right. Meaning that the higher priced stocks (not higher cap) move the index more... If I didn't screw that up, then yep, it's a POS.

But come on, would you rather hear that an index went up 200 POINTS or 20 points like the pussy S&P...

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
LOL McGraw-Hill. Looks like payback by Uncle Sam. Wasn't S&P involved in questionable ratings a year or two ago?

More amazing is that that drop isn't as severe as what AAPL shares have seen since reporting the best earnings quarter in company history in which they saw 30% yoy iPhone sales increase, 50% ipad sales increase, and 27% yoy revenue increase on a weekly basis.... which themselves were above a record blowout quarter from Q1 2012.

Market could be fugly for awhile. The S&P revenue growth yoy averaged just 3.8%, I think the valuations have got ahead of themselves in the recent runup and we have a lot of uncertainty ahead, something markets are not kind to. If todays action doesn't shore up by end of week I expect a lot of folks are going to take money out before the debt limit talks just to not be in risk on situation for possible crash.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Thought I was going to break even on GMCR and then it took a 10% drop. Guess there's still the ER tonight but since guidance is down I don't see much pop after ER.

HopJokey

Platinum Member
May 6, 2005

It's not the most reflective index today but from a historical standpoint it carries the most significance. The reason the weighting/scale hasn't changed is to allow a comparison of the different values of the Dow Jones throughout its existence. I.e. you can compare the DJIA from 1896 to 2013 without any conversions.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
So will Schmidt selling a lot of Google shares result in a drop of price? Does he get his price locked when he announces he's going to sell? Would suck to announce and then watch the price drop because of the news and then execute at a lower price. hmm maybe Google buys the stock directly.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
This amazon earnings is one for the ages.

Ugly as a three headed pig and soaring in AH trading.

I can't envision any rational person getting an early look at the earnings report and deciding to do anything other than short the h*** of the stock.

the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent :awe: