***Official*** 2012 Stock Market Thread

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
F looks like it's going to open over $13.00, and then I'm getting out sometime today. Their earnings tomorrow are not going to please investors.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
They're not going to beat analysts' expectations, I can promise you that. I'll be getting back in soon, but I don't want to be around on Friday.

PimpJuice

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2005
What the hell are you on about? Do you even know what you're saying?

Everytime AAPL goes up like this, he posts about how its only a matter of time before it all comes crumbling down. Its annoying and just someone is investing in AAPL now doesn't mean they are stuck with the stock and can't get out whenever we want. Not everyone has the same investment timeline for a stock.

I don't think it was that hard to understand, but I guess we all have different reading levels.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Everytime AAPL goes up like this, he posts about how its only a matter of time before it all comes crumbling down. Its annoying and just someone is investing in AAPL now doesn't mean they are stuck with the stock and can't get out whenever we want. Not everyone has the same investment timeline for a stock.

I don't think it was that hard to understand, but I guess we all have different reading levels.
Yeah, but you were replying to MY post...

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Thoughts on the overall market? I'm 50% cash but I'm conflicted with whether or not I should be buying with cash or selling what I have left. The rally this month has been crazy and it feels very artificial but the 30-day moving average is on an uptrend and about to cross the 200 day SMA on the S&P500. I want to take that ride but have that itch that a correction is coming.

jessieqwert

Jun 21, 2003
out at 13.01.

Had a buy back in for 12.50 but you guys made me rethink. I'll wait till Friday afternoon to see where it lands.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
I got out earlier at 13.01 also. A 30% return is a nice run. I could probebly stop now and beat the S&p 500 for the year, although I might buyback at $12 or $11.50.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Everyone is a winner in the stock markets on the internet forums :)

I always get a chuckle. A screen shot of a realized gain from a brokerage firm report is the only way to confirm the truth.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
I took a small loss on all that F, which I bought at different times throughout 2011. I don't know why people get butthurt about people saying what they traded or what they made. Who cares if they're lying.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
People aren't lying... it's that they are more likely to brag about wins and keep quiet about losses which skews perception of actual success rates. Even Azurik took a huge hit and we know that because actually discloses his trades. And this is a new 2012 thread and it's not too far fetched to think there has been a lot of profit taking this month due to the run up.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Thoughts on the overall market? I'm 50% cash but I'm conflicted with whether or not I should be buying with cash or selling what I have left. The rally this month has been crazy and it feels very artificial but the 30-day moving average is on an uptrend and about to cross the 200 day SMA on the S&P500. I want to take that ride but have that itch that a correction is coming.

I've been 75% cash and up (currently 90%) since the beginning of the year. Yep, I missed out on the huge 10-20% rally. I've been expecting/hoping for a crash (wrongly), but now, after such a big rally, chances of a correction/pull back are way higher. The Dow is where it was before the crash in August right now...

Things bounce off the 200 day SMA back down sometimes (or break through big: 50-50 ya!). At this rate, I would reflect on what could push the market/economy higher... US manufacturing/numbers are apparently good, Europe's shitty as ever with Greece still up in the air, Asia is slowing down, etc. But hey, US "economic indicators" have been good, so eff yeah! Ya, I effed up the entire January rally, so good luck.

chusteczka

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2006
Looks like CIM dividend today? Up over $3/share too.

Yes, I have been watching that price rise and am so absorbed by it that it distracts me from work.

Since November when the price ranged $2.55-$2.64, I quit actively trading and put all my play money into CIM as a way to refocus on work. About $15k worth. I had expected the price to return to above $3 months ago but gave up and merely hoped for $2.80.

There have been 2-3 market rises in these past couple months that provided many here with enjoyable 10-15% increases. One guy here, Intel17, enjoyed a nice run with AMD that I would have otherwise put money into. During this time, I was nervously worrying if dividends were so good when the market volatility continued with the implication that active daily trading would have been a better course to continue with.

Additionally, so many articles have come out these past few months saying bad things about CIM that have scared me sick. Now the price starts coming back up and the articles are providing an improved outlook.

So now, I am sitting comfortable again while watching the price securely rise a penny a day. That Fed announcement yesterday concerning keeping interest rates low until 2014 was unexpected and helped greatly. My play money of $15k is all in CIM now and I plan to quietly keep it there for the next year or two, maybe longer.

I have another $24k in MMC, which seems more of a HOLD but possibly slipping into a BUY situation. There was a recent article stating UBS likes MMC. I personally do not like MMC since they were a previous employer and they seem to follow AIG's example with poor corporate executive behavior following all the negative stereotypes of insurance companies but their employee stock plan has performed well enough these past couple years to continue keeping that 401k with them.

EDIT:
s/chomping at the bit wondering/nervously worrying/

Investing 101: UBS Loves These 10 Highly Profitable Stocks

Last edited:

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
THQI took a beating last year. Interesting. I've always wanted to "own" a game company... it's been hovering around $0.70/share since they downgraded estimates for this year. I see them pushing back up to $3-4 as the year progresses though, if not on their own most likely via being a huge acquisition target right now.

Solid IP portfolio to be had assuming they don't turn things around on their own.

*Disclaimer: Don't listen to me, I'm just as bad as the next guy on picking stocks.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
"Thoughts on the overall market? I'm 50% cash but I'm conflicted with whether or not I should be buying with cash or selling what I have left. The rally this month has been crazy and it feels very artificial but the 30-day moving average is on an uptrend and about to cross the 200 day SMA on the S&P500. I want to take that ride but have that itch that a correction is coming."
Based upon nothing more substantive than my take on the tenor of a lot of talking heads comments on tv (i. e. use this as food for thought for your own research before making any investing or trading decisions!):

Everyone seemed (at least up to the WTF was that decision and comments by the Fed yesterday) to be hoping for a pullback, not to play the downside move, but as an entry point to participate in the rally. And the fear doesn't seem to be about a substantive downside move (at least right now), but fear that in a figurative blink of the eye market could be at 1350 - 1375 (I don't know exact technical levels, that is just ballpark number, but Teranova seemed to be eyeing 1365 as next point of technical resistance, and some hedge fund research guy on opening segment of Fast Money corrected Ternaova to precisely 1363 as his potential upside target).

No one may believe that such a powerful whoosh up is fundamentally justified right now (one more fundamentally based money manager on CNBC said he thought U. S. market was 20% undervalued - market was 1325 at that point, but I would guess that somehow presumes Europe could be quarantined until it works out its problems (no risk of contagion), but also no further destruction in demand in Europe at same time), probably don't have a specific catalyst for such a move, but it just has to be convincing enough and believed to be sustained enough that money managers on sidelines and who are constantly judged on a relative performance basis, are forced into the market to chase.

But it also seems like there is a lot of confusion about what the Fed announced yesterday (QE 2.5?), what the real reasons they really feel justified it (just an insurance policy against minor unanticipated shock in coming months, is world economy really that fragile, are they just trying to buy time for grand bargain on U. S. debt by keeping borrowing costs artifically low, something totally different), and perhaps we are just pausing while markets digest real significance (is it good or bad news?) of Fed's move yesterday (?)

Doesn't seem like market is random crapshoot it was at end of last year (http://www.tradingmarkets.com/stocks/commentary/the-cuckoo-s-nest-1578737.html vs. http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000069242, but risk of being whipsawed by unexpected macro headline still seems to be there...*

* I have not read any of Cramer's books, so my take on his trading strategies is based upon what I've seen him say on tv. He seems to be a very nimble opportunistic trader who just takes advantage of whatever transient opportunities he sees market giving him. What he says one day may be totally reversed the next day, not because he is being intentiously disingenuous, but just that the stock market winds for that day changed directions drastically. (I find him mainly useful in explaining what seemed to be driving stock market action, after the fact, i.e. opening Mad Money segment on days when there is a particularly large amount of stock market volatility or tremendous intra-day down move; opening segment of Fast Money (comments are retroactive comments on market that has already closed) seems to provide more market insights on more consistent basis, but I mainly try and glean if tenor of their comments suggests real fear / desperation / exasperation in stock market action or perhaps a lot of divided opinion with conviction suggesting we are at inflection point where market could break higher or lower, we just don't know yet, or if it was just a matter of fact day where show contents are basically a time filler for the day).

Last edited:

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
I'm eying $11.80-$11.90 to get back into Ford. Wouldn't be shocked if it happened tomorrow.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Meanwhile, NFLX rebounded nicely. Should have jumped in at 70s, I was distracted...

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Meanwhile, NFLX rebounded nicely. Should have jumped in at 70s, I was distracted...

I was considering them when they crashed but there was the risk they might just burn completely with the higher cost of content and more players in the game.

chusteczka

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2006
I was considering them when they crashed but there was the risk they might just burn completely with the higher cost of content and more players in the game.

I expected Netflix to continue dropping to the $45-$50 range. However, they possess a database of films that are not easily obtained elsewhere; specifically they have older, foreign, documentaries, BBC, National Geographic, and similar movies, along with tv shows. These are the reasons I continue my subscription.

endervalentine

Jan 30, 2009
any thoughts on picking up additional goog shares ... thinking once the attention to the recent aapl reports subside it move back up?