***Official 2006 ATOT Secret Santa Thread**** -- NOW WITH LIST!

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by: AStar617
Originally posted by: Coquito
Anyone who did not send a gift, or simply forgot, please rectify the situation.

Between Thanksgiving (when assignments were handed down) and Xmas (when gifts were due) I dealt with the passing of my grandfather *and* the theft of my car, and still found time to fulfill my commitment. I also shipped USPS Priority w/DC as requested, whereas there's still no tracking info available for my gift AFAIK.

Secret Santa participants should be required to show Heatware trading references next year, and should get negative feedback if they don't follow through, just like any other forum-based transaction. Just my $0.02 as someone who is still waiting 43 days after the initial pairings / 17 days after Christmas. :( I know most people got theirs, but admittedly I'm not left with a very good impression after my first go-round in ATOT SS.

BTW, I join Coquito in thanking Skip and Marty for their efforts.

I have a better idea.

To sign up, we all send Skip and Marty $20 and SASE. Once your money is received you are allowed to participate.

Once your gift is received your money is mailed back to you. If you do not send a present by a certain date, your money is sent to the person that you were supposed to send a present to.

With this method, I would guess that everyone that participates gets a present.

AStar617

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2002
Originally posted by: GoPackGo

Between Thanksgiving (when assignments were handed down) and Xmas (when gifts were due) I dealt with the passing of my grandfather *and* the theft of my car, and still found time to fulfill my commitment. I also shipped USPS Priority w/DC as requested, whereas there's still no tracking info available for my gift AFAIK.

Secret Santa participants should be required to show Heatware trading references next year, and should get negative feedback if they don't follow through, just like any other forum-based transaction. Just my $0.02 as someone who is still waiting 43 days after the initial pairings / 17 days after Christmas. :( I know most people got theirs, but admittedly I'm not left with a very good impression after my first go-round in ATOT SS.

I have a better idea.

To sign up, we all send Skip and Marty $20 and SASE. Once your money is received you are allowed to participate.

Once your gift is received your money is mailed back to you. If you do not send a present by a certain date, your money is sent to the person that you were supposed to send a present to.

Ehh... I know what you're getting at, but besides the fact that I doubt Skip/Marty want a centralized $2K liability on their hands (temporary or not), I would also forsee *lots* of $20 entry fees having to be forwarded around since participants would have no real obligation to do anything further (if they feel their received gift is "not good enough", for example). IMO this is ultimately worse than the gift card route and defeats the purpose of what is supposed to be a thoughtful gift exchange.

It's a tough one to call... There's no easy answer, I know, and there are drawbacks to making it so that not everyone who wants to participate necessarily can, but the bottom line is that people get way too much credit for being able to follow through without any proof to back it up. Heatware would be a step in the right direction towards addressing that and making sure the quality of the experience is more uniform across the board for everyone.

Again, just my $0.02. I'm just glad that people are still willing to discuss this at all, given the current date.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by: GoPackGo

I have a better idea.

Ehh... I know what you're getting at, but besides the fact that I doubt Skip/Marty want a centralized $2K liability on their hands (temporary or not), I would also forsee *lots* of $20 entry fees having to be forwarded around since participants would have no real obligation to do anything further (if they feel their received gift is "not good enough", for example). IMO this is ultimately worse than the gift card route and defeats the purpose of what is supposed to be a thoughtful gift exchange.

It's a tough one to call... There's no easy answer, I know, and there are drawbacks to making it so that not everyone who wants to participate necessarily can, but the bottom line is that people get way too much credit for being able to follow through without any proof to back it up. Heatware would be a step in the right direction towards addressing that and making sure the quality of the experience is more uniform across the board for everyone.

Again, just my $0.02. I'm just glad that people are still willing to discuss this at all, given the current date.

Just so you know...youre not the only one waiting.

eve

Nov 14, 2006

Originally posted by: Juice Box
Originally posted by: amdskip
Midwest List

LolaWiz minendo Zap
mzkhadir Cameron AgaBoogaBoo
Herm0016 Cheesehead msi1337
amish Beller0ph1 datalink7
bamavoo Unheard DainBramaged
eits salt9876 GoPackGo
FallenHero jmebonner keeleysam
Juice Box MartyMcFly3 blurredvision Azndude51
rgwalt Yzzim FoBoT

azndude51 says he wasnt my SS :(

who was skip?

i was:)

like i said im sorry if you didn't like it, i tried forever to figure out what you would like, finally gave up
you almost just got a plain gc

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com
Overall this year it ran pretty smoothly. There HAVE been some hiccups though and I know Jeff is working hard at dealing with everything. There are going to be users NOT participating in future ATOT secret santas. Im sorry to those who have not received or are still waiting on a gift. We really hate when this happens, not just because we have to rectify the situation, but because that COMPLETELY defeats the purpose of this. I want to say thank you for all the people who DID take the time and responsibility of getting your gifts out on time to your secret santa.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: minendo
Originally posted by: Zap
Originally posted by: amdskip
LolaWiz minendo Zap

minendo, was I your SS?
Wasn't sure what to get you and was pressed for time so I hope the Shirts were all right.

Okay, so our little grouping was right, as long as you (minendo) received something from LolaWiz.

Anyways, I always like neato tshirts. :thumbsup:
Zap's thumb's up
I still haven't worn the other shirt, but have already worn this one a few times. Thanks!

Originally posted by: LolaWiz
woot! got mine last night.
Cool stuff! I will take a photo tonight and post what i got!

Thank you SS... who ever you might be! (i just know your real name!)
:)

That was me! Pics? Glad you liked the stuff. OMG, trying to think of stuff for you was difficult for someone like me...
Dislikes: tech stuff
I'm totally into tech stuff. :eek: