*official* #2 USC Trojans vs. UCLA Bruins 12/2 1:30pm PST

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rahul

Nov 1, 2004
Originally posted by: DLeRium

They were an illegitemate team last year--as shown by the THRASHING USC gave them. Watch them get thrashed again. fUCLA got thrashed by ARIZONA of all teams last year. They had a lot of random@$$ comebacks they did not deserve. Their no-defense team obviously struggled once they had to play a real team like USC.

Go Trojans.

I'm a Cal fan, but this is where I like to see fUCLA get crushed and all their fans STFU about how Cal has troubles against U$C.

So, how about those troubles, eh? I heard Cal had troubles against Stanford, too.

herbiehancock

May 11, 2006
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl
You know, this type of thing kind of pisses me off. You've got a sh!tty little team in UCLA coming in at 6-5 with quality wins over teams like Stanford, Utah, and Rice. They're not playing for anything. The only thing going for them in their pathetic little season is the chance to screw a much better team out of something meaninful.

And for the record, not a college football fan.

Obviously, with a comment like that, you truly do not understand what a rivalry game between teams, esp. in-state college teams, can bring out in even the "sh!ttiest little team" like UCLA. Typically, in rivalry games, the records usually mean little, as they did today.

But if you were a college football fan instead of a casual watcher, you'd understand that.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
You know, this type of thing kind of pisses me off. You've got a sh!tty little team in UCLA coming in at 6-5 with quality wins over teams like Stanford, Utah, and Rice. They're not playing for anything. The only thing going for them in their pathetic little season is the chance to screw a much better team out of something meaninful.

Mostly I'm just pissed because Ohio St. vs. USC would have made a hell of a NC game and now garbage UCLA (along with USC, obviously) has helped deprive us of that. <cartman>Godammit!!!</cartman>

Congrats UCLA. You managed to play one impressive game this year. Maybe you can parlay this into a good recruiting class and go an impressive 7-4 next year.

And for the record, not a USC fan.

In order to be the best team in college football you have to beat everybody, every game. 2 losses aint gonna cut it.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Mostly I'm just pissed because Ohio St. vs. USC would have made a hell of a NC game and now garbage UCLA (along with USC, obviously) has helped deprive us of that. <cartman>Godammit!!!</cartman>

Congrats UCLA. You managed to play one impressive game this year. Maybe you can parlay this into a good recruiting class and go an impressive 7-4 next year.

And for the record, not a USC fan.

They also won possession of a bell. And bragging rights.

UCLA deprived USC of nothing. USC blew their chance. They had it on a blue and gold platter, and they blew it.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: her209
Originally posted by: thegimp03
Pete Carroll was so bitter in that interview, it was hilarious. The University of Spoiled Children just lost. Yay!
WTH? He wasn't bitter. He was disappointed.

Yeah, I thought he handled it very well.

thelanx

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2000
As if there weren't enough quirks with this crazy, contrived BCS system of ours, there's a certain bit of irony that has added yet another layer to the madness. It goes something like this: He who pops off soon gets whacked.

Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville started it way back in early October -- even before the first BCS rankings were released -- when he stated that an unbeaten SEC team couldn't be left out of the championship game again.

Next scene: Arkansas thumps unbeaten Auburn by 17.

Next up, Louisville coach Bob Petrino politicked for his Cardinals after a big win over West Virginia. A week later, Rutgers stopped that train with a last-second field goal. Then Rutgers coach Greg Schiano repeated the Big-East-lacks-respect refrain. No sooner had those words rolled off his lips than the Scarlet Knights lost to Cincinnati.

Why, oh why, would Southern California coach Pete Carroll join the fray knowing the karma that awaits? Because the Trojans actually are the best one-loss team in the country, that's why.

"We played a heck of a schedule," Carroll says. "We'll play anybody anywhere, and I think we'll be hard to beat."

It's hard to argue with that. And this much is undeniable: The Trojans have played 10 bowl-eligible teams. They've beaten two division champions from BCS conferences (Nebraska and Arkansas), and they lost by two points on the road against an Oregon State team that has eight wins.

All that's left is a tester at rival UCLA this weekend, a game that will determine whether the revamped Trojans can find their way to their fourth consecutive bowl game with national title implications. This game won't be anything like last year's 66-19 laugher, when a nine-win UCLA team put up less fight than the wind. This Bruins team can play defense -- and this Trojans team, minus the stars of the past, has just enough uncertainty on offense to make things dicey.

Last week's rout of Notre Dame was a bit misleading; the Irish defense is horrible, and the Trojans have problems in the running game and protecting quarterback John David Booty. UCLA, meanwhile, is 14th in the nation in run defense and fourth in sacks.

It all sets up one final, wild weekend of the regular season. A time to celebrate conference championships and put to rest -- if for a few hours, anyway -- the weekly BCS blather.

Besides, we've heard enough politicking to last through the offseason.

Interesting piece I read before today's game. link

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: herbiehancock

Obviously, with a comment like that, you truly do not understand what a rivalry game between teams, esp. in-state college teams, can bring out in even the "sh!ttiest little team" like UCLA. Typically, in rivalry games, the records usually mean little, as they did today.

But if you were a college football fan instead of a casual watcher, you'd understand that.

Lol, I like how you changed my post in your quote. Incredibly clever. And for the record I understand exactly what a rivalry game means.

Anyway, I'm not going to put a lot of faith in your reading comprehension skills at this point but my general point is that it sucks that a crappy team sucked it up and played one good game in a garbage season to beat a much better team and deprive us "casual watchers" of a good National Championship game.

Do you really want to see a Michigan vs. Ohio St. rematch? If you do does that mean you're not a real college football fan? Ohio St. already proved their point against Michigan. I want to see a good game which I think USC could have given Ohio St. given 6 weeks to prepare. But I guess that's just me being a casual watcher and wanting to see a good game. Silly, I know.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: herbiehancock

Lol, I like how you changed my post in your quote. Incredibly clever. And for the record I understand exactly what a rivalry game means.

Anyway, I'm not going to put a lot of faith in your reading comprehension skills at this point but my general point is that it sucks that a crappy team sucked it up and played one good game in a garbage season to beat a much better team and deprive us "casual watchers" of a good National Championship game.

Do you really want to see a Michigan vs. Ohio St. rematch? If you do does that mean you're not a real college football fan? Ohio St. already proved their point against Michigan. I want to see a good game which I think USC could have given Ohio St. given 6 weeks to prepare. But I guess that's just me being a casual watcher and wanting to see a good game. Silly, I know.

True college football fans would be pulling for a OSU v Michigan rematch. Why?

Another fvcked up BCS result. More bitching. More push for a true playoff.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: BlancoNino
Please god let Florida just kill Arkansas so Florida can play OSU. Please god don't let the worst possible finish in the history of college football happen where 2 teams play each other 2 times in a row from the same conference for a chance for a split national title that would piss everyone off. Please god don't let Michigan from the crappy Big-10 in...they don't deserve it.

Split national title? The only way that would happen is if the AP does it out of spite for the BCS. It's not like OSU blew UM away in the regular season game. They won by 3. At home. There's no reason not to give UM the national championship if they lose on neutral ground when it matters. It's not at all like the USC situation in 2003, because USC was robbed of their chance to prove themselves in the national championship game. Ohio State will have their chance. If they lose, game over. When you have an underdog win a national championship in any other sport, you don't have people complaining that they aren't the legitimate national champions.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Wreckem
True college football fans would be pulling for a OSU v Michigan rematch. Why?

Another fvcked up BCS result. More bitching. More push for a true playoff.
The BCS is screwed regardless of if they choose a rematch or not.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
look at it this way, you got to see a great tension filled USC v UCLA game today, and a fun Arkansas v Florida game too.

and it will be Ohio State vs Florida for the national championship, I predict.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
AHAHAHAHA DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!! and im glad that i was there to experience it all first hand. and 2 guys got into a fight right in front of me over seats. GO BRUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

udonoogen

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Syringer
How about that helmet to helmet hit on Cowan near the end of the game? That was BS.

dirty play. other than that play and a few plays later when an sc player was try to jab the ball out of a running play (looked more like he was punching the la player), it was a rather good clean game. sc didn't show up, probably because they were looking ahead.

also, i noticed that with the exception of arkansas, all of their big games were at home ... so perhaps the change in scenery spooked them. i enjoyed this defeat of sc vicariously through ucla. :)

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
He had to have been concussed from that play too. No human should've been able to survive that unscathed..I'm guessing the adrenaline from the game kept him focused though.

After the game when they interviewed him he was talking as if he was in another world..which he might as well have been though without the hit.

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
been almost 1 week and this loss still sucks, i cant imagine usc winning a NC with JD Booty under center. I say let Mark Sanchez have a go next season. Lets see show they play Michigan, it UM plays like they did against OSU its going to be hard, oh well

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: kalster
been almost 1 week and this loss still sucks, i cant imagine usc winning a NC with JD Booty under center. I say let Mark Sanchez have a go next season. Lets see show they play Michigan, it UM plays like they did against OSU its going to be hard, oh well
Or it could be like the Rose Bowl in January 2004. :D