*official* #2 USC Trojans vs. UCLA Bruins 12/2 1:30pm PST

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
The hype before kickoff is always the best time period, as the potential for anything to happen is at its peak. SC has won 7 straight while the Bruins won 8 in a row before that..the longest streak for either team in the series.

Line opened at -12 for SC, and now ranges from -12.5 to -14.

Last victory was in 98 when Deshaun Foster scored 4 TDs giving #3 ranked UCLA the win and a trip to the Rose Bowl.

Likewise, this year a UCLA win would also mean that one of the teams would be heading for a trip to the Rose Bowl..

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Feldenak
Doesn't UCLA suck?

Well let's say only one of these two teams were able to slaughter Oregon St. this year, I'll let you guess which one.

Ophir

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2001
Unfortunately for us Bruins, USC needs to slaughter UCLA to solidify its spot in the BCS title game in the eyes of the country. A weak victory would cast many doubts, though it's doubtful they would slip below Michigan.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Seems like an age since Ohio State played USC, when was their last meeting ?

anyway, I hope USC doesn't blow this game, one game a year against Michigan is enough !

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Syringer
Originally posted by: Feldenak
Doesn't UCLA suck?

Well let's say only one of these two teams were able to slaughter Oregon St. this year, I'll let you guess which one.

Then it's a lock :D

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
This will complete the trifecta of USC beating 3 teams that beat Oregon State. I'm predicting 15+ win.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Ophir
Unfortunately for us Bruins, USC needs to slaughter UCLA to solidify its spot in the BCS title game in the eyes of the country. A weak victory would cast many doubts, though it's doubtful they would slip below Michigan.

I don't think so. IMHO, not many people outside of Michigan wanna see a rematch. So even if close, USC will stay at #2.

Having said that, I think USC will win easily (by 2, 3 or even more touchdowns).

Fern

SpanishFry

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2001
hmm...USC should win.

USC wins: Michigan vs. LSU in Rose
UCLA wins: USC vs. LSU in Rose.

either way, I'm happy :D

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
This will complete the trifecta of USC beating 3 teams that beat Oregon State. I'm predicting 15+ win.

I don't know why anyone cares about that, but I keep seeing it mentioned. Does anyone REALLY believe Oregon State is a better team than USC? No! So who cares if USC beats three teams that beat Oregon State, all that proves is that USC is likely a better team than Oregon State, something we already know. It doesn't make the loss to Oregon State any less significant in my opinion, because a top team like USC should not lose to a significantly lesser team. It still reflects very poorly on USC that they blew that game.

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by: mugs

I don't know why anyone cares about that, but I keep seeing it mentioned. Does anyone REALLY believe Oregon State is a better team than USC? No! So who cares if USC beats three teams that beat Oregon State, all that proves is that USC is likely a better team than Oregon State, something we already know. It doesn't make the loss to Oregon State any less significant in my opinion, because a top team like USC should not lose to a significantly lesser team. It still reflects very poorly on USC that they blew that game.

yeh, its does look bad when you lose a conference game after almost 3 years with a completely new offense essentially (minus WR's)

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Fern

I don't think so. IMHO, not many people outside of Michigan wanna see a rematch. So even if close, USC will stay at #2.

Having said that, I think USC will win easily (by 2, 3 or even more touchdowns).

Fern

While I agree the BCS isnt supposed to be about who wants to see what. But thats exactly what it is. Its flawed, its media shaped and its pointless.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Gnrslash4life

Fern

While I agree the BCS isnt supposed to be about who wants to see what. But thats exactly what it is. Its flawed, its media shaped and its pointless.

Well fwiw, the computers put them at #2 as well.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001

Name one good team in the top 15 who hasn't had a bad game, and I'll call you a liar. USC had a bad week, and ended up a couple points on the losing side. Killing UCLA and completing the trifecta affirms just what you said, that they are most likely better than Or-St and most likely would beat them in a rematch. That is huge for something referred to as "style points". Reread Gene Woj's Espn article on this... USC has to definitively beat UCLA in order to gain favor in the eyes of human voters. I think if they sneak by on the last play, then there's a small possibility that the majority of human voters will switch their vote for Michigan (remember they comprise 66% of the BCS standing via Harris&Coaches) and send them to the title game (regardless of what the computer thinks) instead of USC.

So in summary, completing the trifecta for USC could have a big effect on the Harris/Coaches polls if they barely win (say they have 4-5 Turnovers and win on a last second FG). Human voters are more sympathetic for the closer-than-it-should-have-been 6 point win at Wash St since Jarrett was out and the fact that for the most part USC had the game in hand. The solid win vs Cal was big too, but they have no excuses not to win big at UCLA or they may find themselves out of the NC game.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
Yeah, USC was pretty much sleep-walking through their pac-10 schedule until Oregon State woke them up.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: BlancoNino
Yeah, USC was pretty much sleep-walking through their pac-10 schedule until Oregon State woke them up.

09/30 at Wash St W 28-22
10/07 Washington W 26-20
10/14 Arizona St W 28-21

If by sleep-walking you mean not being prepared and only winning by a posession in each of the games then yes.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001

09/30 at Wash St W 28-22
10/07 Washington W 26-20
10/14 Arizona St W 28-21

If by sleep-walking you mean not being prepared and only winning by a posession in each of the games then yes.
Yes but don't forget they didn't have their biggest playmaker for those games, and handily beat all of their big game opponents (Cal, ND). That means the O-St loss did wake them up and they got better as the season went on. We'll see if they have a mental letdown after the big ND win.

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002

09/30 at Wash St W 28-22
10/07 Washington W 26-20
10/14 Arizona St W 28-21

also called growing up and maturation when you have lot of new/first year players

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Name one good team in the top 15 who hasn't had a bad game, and I'll call you a liar. USC had a bad week, and ended up a couple points on the losing side. Killing UCLA and completing the trifecta affirms just what you said, that they are most likely better than Or-St and most likely would beat them in a rematch. That is huge for something referred to as "style points". Reread Gene Woj's Espn article on this... USC has to definitively beat UCLA in order to gain favor in the eyes of human voters. I think if they sneak by on the last play, then there's a small possibility that the majority of human voters will switch their vote for Michigan (remember they comprise 66% of the BCS standing via Harris&Coaches) and send them to the title game (regardless of what the computer thinks) instead of USC.

So in summary, completing the trifecta for USC could have a big effect on the Harris/Coaches polls if they barely win (say they have 4-5 Turnovers and win on a last second FG). Human voters are more sympathetic for the closer-than-it-should-have-been 6 point win at Wash St since Jarrett was out and the fact that for the most part USC had the game in hand. The solid win vs Cal was big too, but they have no excuses not to win big at UCLA or they may find themselves out of the NC game.

They may need a decent win against UCLA to go to the national championship game, but I don't think that has anything to do with UCLA beating Oregon State. It's more because USC SHOULD beat UCLA soundly if they're a national championship calliber team. They don't need to prove they're better than Oregon State, we all already know that. They wouldn't be number 2 in the polls if people thought Oregon State was better than USC.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Gnrslash4life

Fern

Well, on the one hand college football is really nothing more than entertainment. So I can understand the "media" aspect.

Still USC has already beaten Mich. So, Mich isn't better (although they could win a rematch - who knows? Anybody can beat anybody else on any given Saturday). So I think if USC wins, no matter the score, they're in the title game.

With Florida at #4 (who don't seem very impressive), the whole thing seems to boil down to who's number 2 & 3. Given that Mich has already lost to OSU, the game (championship & #2) is USC's hands now.

I hope USC wins because I've been very impressed with their offensive execution. Same with OSU. So, I'd like to see them matched up. I rather suspect Mich would win a rematch, it's hard to beat the same team twice. But kinda feel that's unfair to OSU and would cause a possible split title if OSU lost. Who's the best? - Each have beaten the other once.

Fern

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Whoo, UCLA wins is leading in the poll, looks like the people of Anandtech believe the Bruins will win :)

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005

09/30 at Wash St W 28-22
10/07 Washington W 26-20
10/14 Arizona St W 28-21

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. They did have a lot of injuries (I think I heard around 8-9 key injuries), but they still could have played better. Conference games are tough...just ask Ohio State. They beat Illinois (a much much worse team than WSU, UW, and ASU) by only 7 points too.