Officer seen on bodycam shooting, killing woman in her own home

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Clearing a house in that manner is ridiculous.

Did not announce presence. Moved in alone for no reason. Shot instead of retreating to cover. Assumed a lack of immediate compliance was a threat.

That's what I don't get. The door is literally open. Go in the door and take care of shit.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
That's what I don't get. The door is literally open. Go in the door and take care of shit.
I read that the screen door was closed. Maybe it was hot and main door was open for ventilation? Either way, this does not bode well. Hell, even if she had gun in hand it is her right to protect her house. I don't even like guns but if someone came up on my house yelling with a flashlight and a gun in hand, not identify as LEO I would shoot his/her ass in a heartbeat.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Wow this is terrible. That cop needs to be locked up and made an example out of.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
"I called my police department for a welfare check," Smith told WFAA. "No domestic violence, no arguing, nothing that they should have been concerned about as far as them coming with guns drawn to my neighbor’s house."

Definitely excessive. All the cops had to do was walk up to the door and knock. "Hello, anybody home. This is the police doing a welfare check. Hello. Please come to the door so we can make sure everything is OK."

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
re: Did not announce presence. Moved in alone for no reason. Shot instead of retreating to cover. Assumed a lack of immediate compliance was a threat.

Based on the audio clips played on local news, the demand was unrealistic for an impossible "instantaneous" compliance. (There couldnt have been much more than second between the sound of the fired shot and the officer's shouted verbal demand.)

Similar to fire fighters, the job of police officer is one that is specified to include risks to life. As such, and in general, police are paid a monetary premium for hazardous duty and which typically also includes eligibility for full retirement at 55 years of age.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Just read he resigned. Probably best if he just takes the easy way out.

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019
The Second Amendment is killing you Americans
To many guns followed by bad laws!!!!
The world keeps telling you that: you have to change.

You don't.
confused.gif
confused.gif

Inherit the wind.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

how is this even remotely related to the second amendment?

Nov 29, 2006

To me that is not good enough. If he truly did not announce he was the police then this is no different than murder. He needs to do prison time and be made an example of how not to police.

Imagine if you are just playing games at night in your house with a family member and all a sudden a flash light hits you in the face from outside and then bang bang your dead. Such crap.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
yea, that poor guy. he thought he was doing the right thing. saw a interview with him in tears.
I know he meant well and who wouldn't be concerned if you saw your neighbors door open at O'dark thirty and didn't see them.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
To me that is not good enough. If he truly did not announce he was the police then this is no different than murder. He needs to do prison time and be made an example of how not to police.

Imagine if you are just playing games at night in your house with a family member and all a sudden a flash light hits you in the face from outside and then bang bang your dead. Such crap.
I really can't see how this is not murder. With the info released and the fact that he resigned really points to guilt and murder. Either he offs himself (easy way out), or flees the country, he's going to jail and longer than 10 years like that other jumpy cop got.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Cops are so jumpy because everyone and their dog has a gun in this country.

Cops are so jumpy because they are taught that their job is so dangerous and that everyone is out to get them and any day could be their last. And they are spoonfed stories of some other rando cop 1000 miles away 2 years ago who got shot and they genuinely believe it could be them next. They are led to believe that they should be scared and too damn middle of the road IQ levels to question that shit.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Nov 8, 2012

Given the body cam I see 2 points of views here:

1) It's just an open door. Christ, just go see what the deal is. What could go wrong?

2) It's an open door. There could be a robbery in progress with one or more armed individuals. It's dark as shit. Get backup with 10 officers surrounding the scene for safety and get a loudspeaker as if it's a hostage scenario...

Obviously wrong fucking move, but I can honestly say when it's dark as shit I wouldn't go exploring around late at night like that without some major cover. At the same time, it seems ridiculous to expect 5+ officers just for a non-emergency call for "open door at my neighbors house".

Tough call, but stupid call. Glad I don't put myself in situations like that to make those kinds of decisions - and I'm honestly sad to see the results here.

Nov 8, 2012

...Wut? How is resigning the "easy way out"?

Are you insinuating that any and all investigations will be like "OH HEY GUIZ! He resigned! No need for criminal investigations lol move along" ?