Office depot inventory & price check

feb

Oct 2, 2000
The deal seems to be you buy a scanner PDA with (may be? ) wireless function. with the software application customized to OD that you can use the PDA to check inventory and price anywhere.

This is the newest trend of shopping. Symbol (more than 14 months ago) already announced applications of their barcode scanner PDA. For example, customers, kids, etc. will use the PDA to scan whatever the items they like to buy, download teh data to kiosks in the mall which will be uploaded to the web, and parents can order the stuffs on line that the kinds shopped for.

Or, customer scan what they want to buy from different stores in the mall, then check out at one location. without picking up the goods and carrying bulky shopping bags, the goods will be delivered.

Not merchant-lost-money-to-customer hot deal but at least give you an update that now these products are in the market.

Nice find, cyberguy.

LordGord

Aug 9, 2000
Some peoples icon's ....

Nice find Cyberguy. I guess if this thing has up-to-date pricing info then yes, you could find lots of hot deals at O.D ! As we all know ;), they have some great clearance prices which very rarely match the price labels on the shelves. A quick scan with this (what looks to be an enhanced Palm) and you can make yourself look really cheap in any OD store!!

unclebud

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2000
for pete's sake, he's saying that now one can go in and just scan the product to find out if it's on clearance instead of waiting to convince an employee to do it. i hate standing around at lunchtime (listening to inane questions and warranty selling), only to find out what i came to purchase isn't on clearance in my area. this is dope. i'm going to try a group buy with my co-workers
thx dude
edit: didn't see the last two posts, i agree, it's a nice find, and impressive at that.

Willith

Dec 30, 2000
Ok, now I see the deal hea was talking about. It sounds like it would be nice as long as it has up to date info in it. Thanks.

daid

Oct 13, 1999
This IS cool. I don't think it has to have "up to date info in it"... it just scans the product and gives the bar-coded price. I think this would be really handy for clearance items... Now to get the price down to half that! :)

lzpoof

Jan 20, 2001
The link isn't taking me anywhere .. can someone post the applicable specs and SKU ?

unclebud

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2000
have you right-clicked and chose open in new window? just asking
Office Depot Scanning PDA, Symbol SPT 1500 Model
Enjoy all the functionality of a Palm-powered handheld organizer, with an integrated laser scanner, with the Office Depot Scanning PDA(tm). Bundled with customized applications, such as Office Depot Quick Purchase(tm) powered by BarPoint, the Scanning PDA makes purchasing direct from Office Depot quick and effortless. Create your office supply shopping list by simply scanning in your favorite products. Then, place your order with the click of a button! Additionally included are some of today's hottest Palm applications, including PDActivate(tm) 2.0 and My BarPoint Mobile(tm), which gives you anytime, anywhere access to your My BarPoint account and allows you to save products to your personalized have and want lists.
List Price: $499.99
Our Price: $449.99
Units: each
In stock
Quantity:
Product Details
Item # 662541

lzpoof

Jan 20, 2001
The link brings me to Office Depot window to enter ID or zip and continue shopping. I enter my zip and click to continue. It brings me to a window that says not all their services may be available. I click continue again, it brings me to their homepage. Not browser, human, or clicking error.... soethign weird with that link or something...

Edit: Thanks for the specs :)

unclebud

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2000
no prob. well, you can take the sku/product name and type it in the search at the front and it should take you where you need to go. try that.
gl

Urinal Mint

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2000
I just got mine, it's really cool! But I'm having a problem, maybe someone here can help... I keep scanning items on the screen but nothing happens! I'm mad I paid a lot of moneys for this piece of junk and I get no price updates!!! What gives???

daid

Oct 13, 1999
hmmm... Are you saying that you are pointing it at your monitor trying to get price checks off of OD's website? PLEASE say you are joking. Good one! :D

Lore

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 1999
So you spend $500 to try to find good deals @ OD? You'd have to save a ton of money just to recoup the money you spent originally on the unit.

daid

Oct 13, 1999
Seems like it would work just as well as a stand-alone Palm, though I don't know which one, with the scanner built in. If you need a palm anyway this could be cool, but, as I said, half the price would be nice!

Mysterie

Jan 7, 2000
What would be nice is a springboard module that performs the same functions. Much more easier ans cheaper, unless you need a $500 Palm that has the added scanning option.

fargopilot

Jan 27, 2001
As far as I know, the bar code does not contain the price in it, or they would have to change to bar code/upc everytime a price chances, and they would suck, especially for someone who works at Office Depot :)

It just scans a number that brings up a database entry, which is the item with its price. If you were using it to try and scan prices, you would have to have the database with the current prices in it.

daid

Oct 13, 1999
Duh! You're right... I didn't even think about it that way. I'm sure you could download/update the database in the Palm on-line.