Off topic: Forum Thread of the Day : The Beowulf cluster :) on the AT news page :)

chsh1ca

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2003
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but isn't calling it a Beowulf cluster a bit of an outright falsehood? I mean, all it is is a bunch of machines on racks running separate from one another. From everything I've read about it, it's not really a cluster, except in the physical world sense of a bunch of machines being near one another. By that definition I have a pretty hefty Beowulf here at the office...

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: chsh1ca
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but isn't calling it a Beowulf cluster a bit of an outright falsehood? I mean, all it is is a bunch of machines on racks running separate from one another. From everything I've read about it, it's not really a cluster, except in the physical world sense of a bunch of machines being near one another. By that definition I have a pretty hefty Beowulf here at the office...

I believe the original intent was to have a real beowulf but plans change ;)

CkG

chsh1ca

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2003
Yeah, I understood the original intent, but it's Beowulf Beowulf Beowulf everywhere, and in reality it's just a bunch of machines in a spiffy rack casing...

A very spiffy rack casing I might add. :)

I just think it's a little weird to call a bicycle a motorcycle, that's all.

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: chsh1ca
Yeah, I understood the original intent, but it's Beowulf Beowulf Beowulf everywhere, and in reality it's just a bunch of machines in a spiffy rack casing...

A very spiffy rack casing I might add. :)

I just think it's a little weird to call a bicycle a motorcycle, that's all.

You are correct - it is a misnomer, but one that has simply stuck with the project regardless.

When the project was first set up, the Beowulf design was what some of the founders had in mind, but since we didn't have enough folks with Beowulf experience to actually set it up that way, it evolved (or devolved if you prefer) into a simpler crackrack.

As one of the core members of the project, I'm still open to setting up a true Beowulf if we can for the SETI project, but we would need some additional people with Beowulf experience to aid us in this. As it stands, I'll be purchasing one of those "very spiffy" cases for my own use, and if I can use it to set up a true Beowulf project, that would be great indeed. At my house in "the basement", the project would either need to be SETI or D2OL. If you or some others can aid me in setting up a true Beowulf I'd welcome the help. :)

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The original specs were for a true BEOWULF. I have offered to go out to the site with LANMAN and assist. If we get enough of the original spec there is no real reason why that "segment" of the rack can be a true BEOWULF.

SHUX

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Adul
Originally posted by: Assimilator1
Thanks for the link Adul:) ,I hadn't noticed:eek:

just like many people haven't notice i do news for anandtech now ;)

wait, I am confused. are you saying you are USEFUL now? :confused:

:D:p

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
WooHoo! We've got a DC'er doing news! Congrats, Adul! :)

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Evadman
Originally posted by: Assimilator1 Thanks for the link Adul:) ,I hadn't noticed:eek:
wait, I am confused. are you saying you are USEFUL now? :confused: :D:p

shocking isnt it :Q

Hehe, if you can't stop a neffer, turn them into a reporter.....:p

;);)

:D

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: RaySun2Be
Originally posted by: Evadman
Originally posted by: Assimilator1 Thanks for the link Adul:) ,I hadn't noticed:eek:
wait, I am confused. are you saying you are USEFUL now? :confused: :D:p

shocking isnt it :Q

Hehe, if you can't stop a neffer, turn them into a reporter.....:p

;);)

:D

TFF! I like her new icon anyway.......

SHUX