Off to Taiwan on hols - what should I see?

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm off to Taiwan in about a week or so (that's Taiwan, rather than Thailand - a worrying number of people seem to get the two confused).

As Taiwan is a some way off the beaten track, I've only a little information about things to see and do.

Does anyone know what the 'must see' sights are? Or do you have any recommendations about what to do?

Any information would be most appreciated.

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Ugh, I was in Taiwan all summer. In Taipei, the heat and pollution was horrendous, and watch out for them taxi drivers, more dangerous than NYC taxi drivers. Basically the only think I did was visit the night markets, find all sorts of cheap stuff, and the food wasn't bad... not the best compared to other Asian destinations.

Lastly, there's an electronics district in Taipei. Forgot the name or how to get there, but a bunch of my friends bought a lot of stuff there. Especially small LCD screens to put in our cars. Around a hundred bucks for a 5.7 inch! Of course, remember, you gotta HAGGLE HAGGLE HAGGLE. Just get on the monorail... think they call it the MRT. There's a couple of destinations that you want to hit. There's a place forgot the damn name, but basically a day time nightmarket.

I wrote a journal during my stay in Taiwan. It's here:
Taiwan Journal

It might give you some places to go if you scan through it... rather long and boring though.

Have fun...

Bluga

Banned
Nov 28, 2000

Well, since i'm Taiwan, i guess i can answer some of the questions. ;)

You'll arrive at CKS int'l airport, and its about an hour drive to Taipei. For foreigners,The National Palace Museum is a must see and the food is awesome, it will be like nothing you've tried before. You might want to see some night markets too to get an "real" feel of what's going on. I recommend not driving in Taipei since its mess :) (and the english signs are small) I do suggest however you ride the MRT (subway). Don't think about riding buses since there're no english signs.

I don't know if your are going around the island if so there're tons of sceneries and places to explore.

shiznut123

Banned
Dec 22, 2000
Whenever i go to Tai Chung, i go to that lake place. i like rowing the boats and chasing the turtles.

Bluga

Banned
Nov 28, 2000
dcdomain:

The food in Taiwan is regarded the BEST (if not the only) in Asia. You've probably went to the wrong places i believe.

Bluga

Banned
Nov 28, 2000
Taipei City Guide ==> This is the ultimate guide for what to do in Taipei. Most foreigners won't go to these places because they don't know about it. If you can find some people to translate it for you it will be great.

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Nah Bluga... I was there all summer, went to all kinds of places. Had some natives dragging me around, and one of my friends was from there. It could just be my tastes... thats all. I really really really like Malaysian food, so yeah, it's probably my tastes.

Oh and yeah, go to the Snake place... some night market, but they'll kill a snake in front of you if you buy the blood and venom to drink. It was... an experience you can't get anywhere else. And since I don't normally drink, those things were a doozy. They mix the blood and venom with alcohol to kill of bacteria I think...

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks guys, this is most useful stuff. Unfortunately, I don't know any Chinese so the city guide link is of little use, however, I have managed to find some English links as well.

Oh and to dc, you haven't really convinced me that that snake blood/venom drink is a particularly good idea. :)

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
LOL Mark R... let me put it in this perspective...

I've been a straight edger all my life, all through high school, I'm almost half way through college, I don't drink, smoke or do any drugs. The thing was that this was definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity. And since it's suppose to be good for your health, I said what the hell...

So even I went and did it ... just so I could say I did it ... It was cheap too, thinking it was around $5?

Bluga

Banned
Nov 28, 2000

.........., actually local Taipei people don't go to snake place. It's mainly for visitors or tourists.
I've lived in Taipei for 18 years and have never been to that place ;) Neither do anyone of my friends. Just my two cents. ;)

Bluga

Banned
Nov 28, 2000
by the way, Taipei Zoo is pretty good. They've got koalas and some new penguines too. lol

kyutip

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2000
shiznut123 : That must be Sun Moon Lake.

Don't forget A Li Shan too (Mount A Li), and there is a place with Pagoda near the sea and the road there is awesome, inside a rock by the seaside.

jimmygates

Platinum Member
Sep 4, 2000
Taiwan is not about the sights you see but the food you eat! :p

The food there is wonderful. I gained like 15lbs after visiting in 96'

-Jimbo

Croton

Banned
Jan 18, 2000
Go to Snake Alley.

I've been there twice and each time I have the snake soup, the venom, and the blood drink. Good stuff. Seems sick, but it's good. and the snake soup tastes like chicken. HONEST.

on the other side of snake alley (when you cross the main road) is the red light district. literally. red lights everywhere. there are tons of prostitutes there you can see. it's pretty crazy stuff. me, i've just walked around there w/some friends. HONEST.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i was in CKS airport for about an hour last friday... gotta say its one of the uglier airports i've been to. and the coke label was in mandarin so i don't know if it had actual sugar or just corn syrup. i did want to try a rice dumpling but my flight was boarding. changi airport is much nicer.

seewhy

Jan 22, 2000
Well, personally I would go to Taiwan just for food. There are lots of night market with great food, gosh I missed that. But I am not sure if non-chinese will enjoy that....note, so called Chinese Food in the US is very different from real Chinese food. But you can still go to normal restaurant to get pretty good food, but IMHO night market has the best stuff.

As for sight seeing, there are a few national park, Yu Shang (Jade Mountain), Ali Shang (Ali Mountain), Ken Din national park (A national park in the south near the sea), they are all ok. The Gu-Gong (somehting like that) National musieum is great if you wanna look at ancient chinese arts...etc.

Shopping in taiwan require lots of experience and haggling skill, or else you will get bad deals. You may be able to get some computer parts really cheap if you know your way around...it would really help if you can find a friend to go around with you if you wanna do shopping.

Bakwetu

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
You could visit the MSI factory and perhaps pick up some unreleased mobos in their gift shop? ;)