of cars and computers.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
just a year ago, I was VERY happy when I spent $130 for a IBM 75GXP hdd and $170 for a Voodoo5 5500, I am satisfied.

now, to retain a similar level of satisfaction, I need to spend $800 on new rims and tires, $700 on suspension, and $120 bucks on interior indiglo lights.

sigh, I wish I never drive a car.

PS: no, I didn't spend 2 grand to decorate my car.

AkumaBao

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2001
LoL. I'm glad I don't drive too much. I just put my $$$$ into my computer. I've already spent about $250 on just decorative mods for my current case, and about $600 in the past month upgrading. I guess it's not much cheaper than a car, at least the way I mod my computers so often. I feel for you though, especially during this time of year. After buying all the X-Mas presents, I just barely slid through the price of my new mobo. I think one of these days I'll be filing a Chapter 11. :p If I was using Intel parts I would have already. :p What kind of suspension are you doing? Are you replacing them all, or adding hydros?

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You'd get a MUCH better ROI with real estate. Why blow money on transportation? It only breaks down, rusts away and depreciates. You afraid girls won't look your way if the ride ain't kewl? :confused:

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

<< Why blow money on transportation? >>

You know everytime I buy a new car about half way through paying it off I always think that maybe I should have kept my old car and put some money into it instead of spending so much for a new ride. Then it rains and I don't have to worry about my car breaking down and all those thoughts about the old car vanish!

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000

<< You'd get a MUCH better ROI with real estate. Why blow money on transportation? >>

Because it's fun! It's a hobby, not an investment.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's one thing to keep the old buggy rolling, or purchasing something more reliable, but spending thousands for aesthetics is pretty wasteful. Seems to me, the folks that can afford to throw away the money buy a car that's all 'dialed-in" from the start. Otherwise, I see a lot of people making mortgage sized payments on a car or two, and living in an apartment cause they can't scrape up the down payment for a house! :confused:

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
At least you get some use from the cpu parts. They improved your cpu's performance. The car parts, don't do anything except look better. The actual job they don't do any better than the stock parts....in fact, the tires probably wouldn't last as long as stock, and your butt thanks you for not changing your suspension.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Let's see, if I just put in the big things, my car has demanded the following in the 3 and a half years I've driven it:

4 new dampers (shocks) to replace the OE dampers at 170,000 miles, $200
Two new front coil springs after the OE's cracked at 178,000 miles, $600
Rebuilt Alternator and Water Pump to replace OE units at 193,000 miles, $300 (included timing belt change)
A/C condensor replacement and R134a retrofit at 198,000 miles, $550

When the other miscellaneous things are added in (new distributor cap and rotor here, new plug wires there...) I probably spend about $1,000 each year keeping my car running right. I could get away with spending a lot less money on the necessities, but I'd rather have the best running car in my group of friends than the best looking. No point in buying another car as a daily driver since my yearly repair bills would not drop significantly (can't afford a new car, it'd have to be used) and I'd end up spending more money when the loan was factored in. Cars are expensive mistresses, but there's not much one can do about it.

ZV