Oddsmakers have USC and Oklahoma the best College Football Teams

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother
SURPRISE! you can still have bowl games even while there are playoffs.

Only if money wasn't involved. The postseason NIT basketball tournament is only solvent because it is supported by the preseason NIT tournament.

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
As long as the BSC exists there will be a reason why USC is "screwed" out of a championship game.

Nobody in the country wants to play USC right now. This is coming from an Oklahoma fan. People get all caught up on who's the best based on the past. Who is the best right now? Who's playing very good? Oklahoma and USC are two teams who fit that. Any team in the top 15 excluding hawaii can beat any other team on any given day.
People get caught up on who's best based on the past? Excuse me if I'm ignorant, but that really doesn't make sense, not that the BCS does as many claim, but still.
I understand the BCS system is strange, but I don't think the entire season of a team's performance should be negated. USC is simply not the #1 or #2 team in the nation.

With 32 bowl games on the schedule, Walker said betting has been slow since opening lines were posted and the LSU-Ohio State matchup is generating little excitement.

"It has been very quiet," said Walker, who has seen few significant line moves and only a minor amount of wagering.
This is all about sports betting. The bookies are pissed that they arn't going to make a killing.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: sciencewhiz
Don't forget that right now there are 34 bowl games that could not survive if a playoff was implemented. It would take a 32 team playoff to get close to the number of post season games as there is currently.
We could call it the Bowl Championship Series!!!1

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004

Only if money wasn't involved. The postseason NIT basketball tournament is only solvent because it is supported by the preseason NIT tournament.

What do you mean? Are you saying that the only reason anyone cares about the Poulan Weed Wacker Bowl is because the top teams are not in a playoff?

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005

or because it's owned by the NCAA

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
doesnt like every other Division in college football do a playoff tourny, it would work just as well for the top division as it does for them

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Chryso

What do you mean? Are you saying that the only reason anyone cares about the Poulan Weed Wacker Bowl is because the top teams are not in a playoff?

ROFL, exactly. Open your eyes people. The Poinsetta bowl will be just as (ir)relevant with or without a playoff. No bowl is going to suddenly be considered worthless just because of a playoff system.

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Anubis
doesnt like every other Division in college football do a playoff tourny, it would work just as well for the top division as it does for them

Neutral sites would not work for more then the last round or two of a playoff, because most fans can't afford to travel multiple times. They would have to do it like the Div 1-AA playoffs, which are held at the higher seeded teams home field.

I checked the attendance for Appalachian State (who plays in the championship game this week). Their first and second round attendance was far worse then any regular season game this year. Their semifinal game had worse attendance then all but one regular season game this year. I spot checked a few other teams and found the same phenomenon.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

Don't forget that right now there are 34 bowl games that could not survive if a playoff was implemented.

and good riddance.

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Originally posted by: slsmnaz

or because it's owned by the NCAA

The NCAA purchased rights to the NIT 2 years ago, as part of an antitrust settlement, because they were pushing the NIT out of business.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl
Originally posted by: ElFenix
everyone knows that much more money would be made with a tournament than the bowl system,

Not to be rude, but you don't know what you're talking about. In fact, you've got it completely backwards. Money is what gave us the BCS and keeps us from having a playoff.

Not to be rude, but it's you who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Best 8 teams = 4 BCS games.
Best 8 teams in a tournament = 7 Playoff games with an National Championship.

7 sold-out games with sponsorship and TV > 4 sold-out games with sponsorship and TV.

Even with a playoff system you're going to get those 9 and 10 teams bitching because they feel they should have made it. But, it's the best solution to see the top team is.

Best 8 teams...
1. Ohio State 11-1
2. LSU 11-2
3. Virginia Tech 11-2
4. Oklahoma 11-2
5. Georgia 10-2
6. Missouri 11-2
7. USC 10-2
8. Kansas 11-1

So 1 vs 2 check....although the number 1 seed is almost a touchdown underdog because they have played a cake schedule. Also the no 2 team has squeaked by or lost most of their games this year.

No 3 vs No 4 umm, no
No 3 plays no 8
and no 4 plays No 9

No 5 vs no 6 umm, no
No 5 plays a joke of a no 10 team
no 6 plays an unranked team after being the no 1 team in the nation going into their championship game

No 7 vs no 8 umm, no
No 7 plays no 13

When they took strength of schedule out and margin of victory, they pretty much made the BCS an absolute joke.

It should be USC vs Oklahoma
and they will play the winner of
LSU and VaTech(rematch beetches)

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: ctark
Nobody in the country wants to play USC right now. This is coming from an Oklahoma fan. People get all caught up on who's the best based on the past. Who is the best right now? Who's playing very good? Oklahoma and USC are two teams who fit that. Any team in the top 15 excluding hawaii can beat any other team on any given day.

See that's inaccurate. I'm not a UGA fan, but since I live in Atlanta there's alot of them around. And every UGA fan here would LOVE to go up against USC. UGA is probably the hottest team right now on one of the best winning streaks against good opponents. I'm against having a playoff system. The bowl system is more fun and any person who isn't fooling themself knows that the bowls that aren't the big ones wouldn't survive in a playoff system because no one would care. But this year I would like to allow Hawaii, Ohio State, VT, UGA, USC, OU, LSU, and either Kansas or Missouri (yeah I know they already lost to OU twice) to play in an 8 game playoff system. Most years I think it hasn't mattered as there's usually a decent standout team, but this year here's alot of teams playing on the same level.

I predict that next year UGA nad Florida will be nasty teams. Both return experienced, talented QB's and UGA's Knowshon Moreno is only a Freshman and proved to be a beast this year.

USC and LSU both have to replace Senior primary QB's and it's unlikely they'll be able to continue success to their current level. Also look for Oregon to have some potential with Dixon healed up.

The end of this season will likely prove nothing to anyone, just boost the ego of an LSU team that will likely beat an inferior opponent. Let them play USC, OU, or UGA and then they can say they played an equal opponent.

JasonCoder

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: kalster
And no one had any issues with sending USC to NC games when the Pac10 was a joke - bad joke at that.

for one they didn't play a piss poor schedule in the year they played in the NC game

2004, opened on the road at Virginia tech
2005, played arkansas

also they were not totally outclassed in the NC game the year before

'05 Arkansas was a quality opponent, eh? My memory lapses on their ranking that year.

And I don't think anyone believes OSU played to their level last year.

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: JasonCoder
And no one had any issues with sending USC to NC games when the Pac10 was a joke - bad joke at that.

for one they didn't play a piss poor schedule in the year they played in the NC game

2005, played arkansas

'05 Arkansas was a quality opponent, eh? My memory lapses on their ranking that year.

Texas was a quality opponent, and I don't think anyone doubts that it was a very good game between two evenly matched teams.

JasonCoder

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: JasonCoder

2005, played arkansas

Texas was a quality opponent, and I don't think anyone doubts that it was a very good game between two evenly matched teams.

One of the best NC games I can remember :beer:

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare
everyone knows that much more money would be made with a tournament than the bowl system,

Not to be rude, but you don't know what you're talking about. In fact, you've got it completely backwards. Money is what gave us the BCS and keeps us from having a playoff.

7 sold-out games with sponsorship and TV > 4 sold-out games with sponsorship and TV.

Even with a playoff system you're going to get those 9 and 10 teams bitching because they feel they should have made it. But, it's the best solution to see the top team is.

Best 8 teams...
1. Ohio State 11-1
2. LSU 11-2
3. Virginia Tech 11-2
4. Oklahoma 11-2
5. Georgia 10-2
6. Missouri 11-2
7. USC 10-2
8. Kansas 11-1

So 1 vs 2 check....although the number 1 seed is almost a touchdown underdog because they have played a cake schedule. Also the no 2 team has squeaked by or lost most of their games this year.

No 3 vs No 4 umm, no
No 3 plays no 8
and no 4 plays No 9

No 5 vs no 6 umm, no
no 6 plays an unranked team after being the no 1 team in the nation going into their championship game

No 7 vs no 8 umm, no
No 7 plays no 13

When they took strength of schedule out and margin of victory, they pretty much made the BCS an absolute joke.

WTF are you talking about? It should be seeded like March Madness

1 vs 8 = Ohio State vs Kansas
2 vs 7 = LSU vs USC
3 vs 6 = Virginia Tech vs Missouri
4 vs 5 = Oklahoma vs Georgia

Look at those match-ups. LSU vs USC? OK vs GA? Great games.

sciencewhiz = Don't forget that people can still have bowl games. It's no difference than having the BCS top 4 games and then all the other bowl games as it is now. Those other games are meaningless currently under the BCS. They are only for the fans of each of those teams. Nothing would change.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: Nitemare

Best 8 teams...
1. Ohio State 11-1
2. LSU 11-2
3. Virginia Tech 11-2
4. Oklahoma 11-2
5. Georgia 10-2
6. Missouri 11-2
7. USC 10-2
8. Kansas 11-1

No 3 vs No 4 umm, no
No 3 plays no 8
and no 4 plays No 9

No 5 vs no 6 umm, no

No 7 vs no 8 umm, no
No 7 plays no 13

All of the top teams this season have serious flaws. LSU may have "squeaked" by in several games, but USC sure didn't blow out everyone by 30 points this season.

LSU, VT, and USC had injury issues and fought through them.

What made the difference is the quality of losses. There's no reason USC should've lost to Stanford. There's no reason Oklahoma should've lost to Colorado. THAT is the reason why they aren't ranked higher. If LSU would've beaten Kentucky but lost to Tulane or Louisiana Tech, THEN LSU would've been shit out of luck.

I think LSU deserves to be in the game based on strength of schedule and quality of losses, but the opponent is a toss up between VT/USC/Oklahoma/Georgia.

My top 5 would probably be LSU, VT, Oklahoma, USC, Georgia, Ohio State.

I would've loved to see LSU vs. USC...

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
OSU - LSU is what the human polls wanted to see. The computers wanted to see VT in the national Championship (they received 3 of the 6 1st place votes). There is too much based on the legacy of the program and not the past season. The Big 11 needs to be burnt to the ground....come on, when OSU's "quality" win is beating a team that lost to a DI-AA school! And don't cry to me that they had to play in state opponents. I think VT vs Oklahoma would be a good game.