Odd Windows Update

SkyDiver

Aug 3, 2000
Hi All,
Until the recent change in Windows 7 updates, my Windows Update setting was set to "Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them." In the last few days, I changed my setting to "Never check for updates."

This morning when I fired up the PC, it went right into a (unauthorized) Windows Update installation, complete with a percent complete and a "don't turn off your computer" message! After it was done, I opened up Windows Update and tried to see what had been updated, but there was no listing of the update that just happened.

Has anyone else seen this type of behavior before? I looked through Event Viewer and couldn't find anything to indicate that it had happened. ????

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Hi All,
Until the recent change in Windows 7 updates, my Windows Update setting was set to "Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them." In the last few days, I changed my setting to "Never check for updates."

This morning when I fired up the PC, it went right into a (unauthorized) Windows Update installation, complete with a percent complete and a "don't turn off your computer" message! After it was done, I opened up Windows Update and tried to see what had been updated, but there was no listing of the update that just happened.

Has anyone else seen this type of behavior before? I looked through Event Viewer and couldn't find anything to indicate that it had happened. ????

You could re-run "Check for Updates" to see if it changes the update history.

This observation you've made seems like one of the symptoms I worked through when my systems wouldn't complete updates -- call it for many forum members the "Great Win7 Update Crisis of 2016."

If your system is properly configured for the Volume Shadow Copy Service, you should be able to roll back to a checkpoint before the puzzling updates and go through the sequence without leaving the system unattended. You could change your update settings so that you can review the updates and perhaps choose them one or two at a time for installation to see if you encounter any problem.

SkyDiver

Aug 3, 2000
Hi BonzaiDuck,
I think I found the issue in Event Viewer / Windows Logs / Setup area. The first entry in the list said: "Package KB3177725 was successfully changed to the Absent state."

There were 17 KB's that were changed to the "Absent state" when I fired my computer up this morning. It looks like 20 or more KB's were changed the night before. Looking around the web, it sounds like this might be a normal clean-up process for Windows Update when new KB's supersede old ones.