Odd artifacts on GTX 280 on ATI tool

ajaidevsingh

Mar 7, 2008
Ran ATI tool for about an hour scanning for artifacts after which i saw these yellow dots i gave that to may be overheating but at 78C thats hard to believe.

Even after a restart this odd thing has taken a front seat and now it pops up after the card exceeds 65C or so.

Anyone tell what the hell the yellow dots are and how to get rid of them i tried reinstalling the drivers and also tried opening a side of the case without any solution.

http://img411.imageshack.us/my...e=gtx280notocedbt9.jpg

SergeC

May 7, 2005
The yellow dots are indeed artifacting errors.....Only happened on my 8800GTS 512 when I OCed too high, or it got too hot (90C+).

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Is this the same card that your friend wants to trade for your two 4850s and your board?

Originally posted by: error8
Has your card been overclocked?
The file name of that image indicates that it's not OCed.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: AmberClad
Is this the same card that your friend wants to trade for your two 4850s and your board?

Originally posted by: error8
Has your card been overclocked?
The file name of that image indicates that it's not OCed.

No, I was asking if he overclocked the card before, even though it now runs at stock. Maybe he went too far with the clocks and somehow damaged the card and it gives errors now even at stock clocks.

imported_Scoop

Dec 10, 2007
There's nothing 'odd' about those artifacts. That's what ATITool gives you if you're running too high clocks.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
It would help to have the entire screenshot of ATI Tool to see how far it clocked the card before those artifacts come up. Try to include the clocks in another pic.

ajaidevsingh

Mar 7, 2008
The card was OCed to 630 / 1410 and i ran a stability test with this for an hour thats when i noticed the dots.. So i was thinking heat must be the culprit so i brought it back to 602 / 1296 "default" after a quick restart and still the same problem...!!

Shut the whole dam thing down and after an hour the same dam thing again... "I can not open the heatsink since the card is not mine and after my luck with 3870X2 my steal balls got liquefied" This whole affair seems a bit odd. How can i damage a card by software overclocking!!

BTW At least this seems to be less than noticeable on Crysis or bioshock so i can blame the drivers for it!!

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Wait...what were you running at 1410 and 1296? If that's RAM clocks, there's a good chance you fried it and permanently damaged it. Unlike core overclocks, which usually do not leave residual problems, memory does have memory....

1296 is still way above the rated speed for this RAM, try 1100. If its still artifacting then you can probably call the time and see if your friend is still your friend. :)

firewolfsm

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2005
Also, you only need to run ATiTool for about 5 minutes, if you see nothing, you should be safe.

ajaidevsingh

Mar 7, 2008
BTW I have read forums and ppl say they clocked their 280's way high like 670Mhz, etc so mine was not that high nor was it hot so why was this thing damaged.

firewolfsm this problem started when i ran a stability test 280@ 630 for an hour or so now it comes up every and i mean every time my card crosses 65-67C and remains there.

Aberforth

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2006
Don't overclock GT200 without proper cooling, NV has over abused their architecture- there is not much left in it.

Anyway, those artifacts looks more like special effects. I like it :)

TaylorTech

Jul 24, 2008
I mean I know you don't wanna hear it but chances are the card could be fried man.

Try popping off the RAM heatsinks and adding some paste and just letting it sit for a while, or upping the fan speed.

Other than that, it seems like the chips might be damaged.

ajaidevsingh

Mar 7, 2008
I found a solution and the dam thing was so simple...

I has only touching core and shaders speeds and did not bother with the RAM and that was the corner stone of this whole problem... Thanks chizow for reminding me that GPU's have RAM ohh great just dropped the speed by 50Mhz and it works like a charm no artifacts what so ever i am returning this 2moro the first thing i do..

BTW How exactly do i flash this "Will NVflash handle the GTX280 BIOS" I want to mod the memory freq. and also will still be under XFX warranty if i flash it with a modded BIOS ??

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Huh? Ok, now I'm confused. You just said that you were returning the card. Now you want to BIOS flash your friend's card :confused:.

ajaidevsingh

Mar 7, 2008
I was thinking if i BIOS mod it and d away with the yellow dots once and for all he will not blame me for it and i will be free..

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: ajaidevsingh
I was thinking if i BIOS mod it and d away with the yellow dots once and for all he will not blame me for it and i will be free..
Let's hope you don't brick it trying to flash the BIOS :p, or you'll be in a real bind...

shangshang

May 17, 2008
What the hell are you thinking about flashing a card you're about to return! Does this make sense to anyone? LOL why do I get the feeilng that your friend was trying to hook you into buying a product he had damaged!

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Aberforth
Don't overclock GT200 without proper cooling, NV has over abused their architecture- there is not much left in it.

Huh? LOL. Im sitting with a 690 core and never see over 78C load @ 55% fans. Id call that good stock cooling.

ajaidevsingh

Mar 7, 2008
AFter what AmberClad said i feel its better to just gift wrap it and wave it away dont want things taking a worst turn i can still blame the drivers tough...

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Hmm, stock cooling, @ 670 MHz core (1215 Memory, 1458 MHz Shader). No artifacts. Stock cooling at full load is about 79~81C.

But the OP probably has a bad chip, there are some chips are seem to hit 105C even without overclocking.