Question ocing my cpu, safe?

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
Greetings,

I have a ryzen 2700X cpu on a TUF GAMING B450-PLUS II board.
if I'm not mistaken, setting the power scheme to performance results with an oc of 3.7 to 4.0 Ghz.

my hfs is a noctua towering one and the case has 4 fans, two cooler master and 2 are another noctua.

I was wondering, how safe it is to ok the cpu to 4.0?

Thanks,

Dagg

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
How exactly are you doing the OC? 3.7GHz is base clock for the 2700X, however, it should boost to 4.3GHz out of the box with decent cooling when needed. Anyway, the boosting is perfectly safe. An all core OC is a different story, if that is what you mean, and it depends on the voltage and frequency used, as well as temperature.

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
mmm I'm running mprime to test my ram and after 20 minutes, cpu temp went up to 95C, this is a fresh install, I don't think oc will be a good idea.
on the other hand, is it logical?

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
95*C is on the high side, but perfectly safe. These "EZ OC" type profiles tend to set the voltage higher than needed to account for silicon lottery losers. Which is probably why the temps are so high. Having said that, AMD is pretty good about running their CPUs pretty close to the red line out of the box. If you are uncomfortable with the temps, you are not losing a lot of performance if you run at stock speeds. You would probably gain more performance by enabling the DOCP/XMP profile on your memory kit from your other thread.

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
95*C is on the high side, but perfectly safe. These "EZ OC" type profiles tend to set the voltage higher than needed to account for silicon lottery losers. Which is probably why the temps are so high. Having said that, AMD is pretty good about running their CPUs pretty close to the red line out of the box. If you are uncomfortable with the temps, you are not losing a lot of performance if you run at stock speeds. You would probably gain more performance by enabling the DOCP/XMP profile on your memory kit from your other thread.
I didn't oc anything, I just wanted stress my setup prior to that ot see how it fairs

Just leave the CPU stock, and tweak the ram. That's the best boost you can get anyway, and at the lowest risk.
this was my initial plan, will stick with it. thanks

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Do not use EZ tune . Either run stock or see what kind of clocks you can get static with ~1.2v or so. I think your chip may surprise you.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
1.2v for the cpu only?

Yes. Unless you are doing a major memOC you should not have to touch other voltages. Also you need to be aware of how LLC is affecting vdroop on your particular motherboard, and try for a setting that will keep a steady voltage during an AVX workload like Prime95. Just don't use the highest settings available. Though with a base voltage of 1.2v (which is quite conservative), you will not be at a big risk of overshoot.

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
Yes. Unless you are doing a major memOC you should not have to touch other voltages. Also you need to be aware of how LLC is affecting vdroop on your particular motherboard, and try for a setting that will keep a steady voltage during an AVX workload like Prime95. Just don't use the highest settings available. Though with a base voltage of 1.2v (which is quite conservative), you will not be at a big risk of overshoot.
can this cause unstable mem OC at 3.2Ghz?

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
can this cause unstable mem OC at 3.2Ghz?
What memory are you using? Running DDR4 3200 using XMP is pretty standard, unless you have some cheap memory. I run 4 sticks at 3600 without problems (I do have B-die memory, which is not cheap, but not excessively expensive either).

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
What memory are you using? Running DDR4 3200 using XMP is pretty standard, unless you have some cheap memory. I run 4 sticks at 3600 without problems (I do have B-die memory, which is not cheap, but not excessively expensive either).

You mean DDR4-3200? That shouldn't require any extra vSoC. How much else I can say about that really depends on your DIMMs default speed/timings/voltage.

two kids of this
bottom line, I had a aorus mb which ran this setup in 3200 without an issue, that mb got fried and I got a asus board instead.
now it won't run that speed, get errors.
I know my cpu supports up to 2933MHz (see https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-2700x) so I thought this might require some OC from the cpu.
on the aorus board, there was no need for cpu OC.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
@daggs1 just play around with what DrMrLordX said - vDIMM. I seem to recall it's best to keep DDR4 at 1.35v or lower. I imagine you may be able to hit 1.4v if you have some active cooling blowing air over your DIMMs.

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
Overclocking your CPU won't improve your memOC. You would probably have to play with timings or just increase vDIMM a bit.
@daggs1 just play around with what DrMrLordX said - vDIMM. I seem to recall it's best to keep DDR4 at 1.35v or lower. I imagine you may be able to hit 1.4v if you have some active cooling blowing air over your DIMMs.

my dimm's voltage is 1.350. I don't have active cooling blowing air over my DIMMs

thanks for the info, looks like this is indeed not the approach I need to take.

Thanks.

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
I have this kit running at 1.42v. The only cooling coming from the front intake fans about 6 inches away. The temps on the DIMMs stay under 45*C when heavily loaded, like during a memory stability test. During gaming they go up to around 40-41*C and typically stay in the low to mid 30's when idle or lightly loaded. But with only two DIMMs so there is space between them. As long as you have airflow in your case, you can increase the voltage a little bit.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-19 161406.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-19 161406.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 8

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
my dimm's voltage is 1.350. I don't have active cooling blowing air over my DIMMs

thanks for the info, looks like this is indeed not the approach I need to take.

Thanks.
I have this kit running at 1.42v. The only cooling coming from the front intake fans about 6 inches away. The temps on the DIMMs stay under 45*C when heavily loaded, like during a memory stability test. During gaming they go up to around 40-41*C and typically stay in the low to mid 30's when idle or lightly loaded. But with only two DIMMs so there is space between them. As long as you have airflow in your case, you can increase the voltage a little bit.
My bad. I'm just used to settings on my x570 boards. Very different I see.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I routinely push 1.4v-1.5v through DDR4 2x8GB configs, though my case has a lot of airflow. 1.4v is not that much regardless.

There is a possibility that your 2700x wants higher vSoC before it can run those DIMMS @ DDR4-3200 14-14-14-28 with your current board.

daggs1

Mar 9, 2018
I routinely push 1.4v-1.5v through DDR4 2x8GB configs, though my case has a lot of airflow. 1.4v is not that much regardless.

There is a possibility that your 2700x wants higher vSoC before it can run those DIMMS @ DDR4-3200 14-14-14-28 with your current board.
looks like all my dimms are at 1.2v when running on 3066GHz, the temp is between 41C to 45C, I have no direct fan over the dimms as they are at the upper part of the case while the front fans are at the lower part of the case.
the hsf's fan is over the dimms.
I'm not sure how much ventilation I have.
assuming I bump the dimm's voltage, 1.4v, I don't know how much the temp will rise