Occupy protests set for May 1

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Employees are generally cost centers and lumped in with SG&A.
We're talking about two different things. You're talking about how their compensation is tracked in Accounting. I'm talking about the impact they have on business revenue and profitability. That's what drives hiring and employment decisions.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I'm a little late but I did see some of the May day protests in NYC in person so I'll add my thoughts. The most surprising thing to me was the dominant presence of public sector union employees demanding more money/benefits. Judging by the signs they made up 60% of attendees. The other 40% was split roughly evenly between what I would consider reasonable anti-wall street types and radical communists/anarchists.

I got the impression that the movement has been completely co-opted by the traditional far left. In the beginning there was some common ground with the Tea Party in opposing cronie capitalism and at least some original thought but both seem to be gone now.

I took a stroll though Madison square park round lunch time that day.

I was reminded of this exchange from good will Hunting

Chuckie: Are we gonna have a problem here?
Clark: No, no, no, no! There's no problem here. I was just hoping you might give me some insight into the evolution of the market economy in the southern colonies. My contention is that prior to the Revolutionary War, the economic modalities, especially in the southern colonies, could be most aptly described as agrarian pre-capitalist.
Will: Of course that's your contention. You're a first-year grad student; you just got finished reading some Marxian historian, Pete Garrison probably. You're gonna be convinced of that 'till next month when you get to James Lemon. Then you're going to be talking about how the economies of Virginia and Pennsylvania were entrepreneurial and capitalist way back in 1740. That's gonna last until next year; you're gonna be in here regurgitating Gordon Wood, talkin' about, you know, the pre-revolutionary utopia and the capital-forming effects of military mobilization.
Clark: Well, as a matter of fact, I won't, because Wood drastically underestimates the impact of social...
Will: "Wood drastically underestimates the impact of social distinctions predicated upon wealth, especially inherited wealth"? You got that from Vickers' "Work in Essex County," page 98, right? Yeah, I read that too. Were you gonna plagiarize the whole thing for us? Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter? Or do you, is that your thing, you come into a bar, read some obscure passage and then pretend - you pawn it off as your own, as your own idea just to impress some girls, embarrass my friend?
Will: See, the sad thing about a guy like you is, in 50 years you're gonna start doin' some thinkin' on your own and you're going to come up with the fact that there are two certainties in life: one, don't do that, and two, you dropped 150 grand on a fuckin' education you could have got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library!
Clark: Yeah, but I will have a degree. And you'll be servin' my kids fries at a drive-thru on our way to a skiing trip.
Will: That may be, but at least I won't be unoriginal. But I mean, if you have a problem with that, I mean, we could just step outside - we could figure it out.
Clark: No, man, there's no problem. It's cool.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I took a stroll though Madison square park round lunch time that day.

I was reminded of this exchange from good will Hunting

That bar exchange, and the 'apples' moment after it, is amazing in its accuracy of many of these 'super smart <insert interest> guys'. We get some infrequently through here at work. The ones that stay usually get depressed at the 2-3 year mark. They start to realize that Reality is so much different than studies, works of other super smart <> guys, etc.

It's both sad and amusing to watch at the same time....

Chuck

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I don't think you understand supply and demand when it comes to labor. With such high demand and such low supply, there isn't anybody that would do my job for much less. Plus I'm a profit center, I MAKE my company more money.

Same with those ba-ba-ba-banksters. They MAKE the business more money.

Yeh, you're a unique snowflake, that's for sure.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Here's an interesting article about the May 1st attempt by Occupy members to blow up a bridge and the Southern Poverty Law Center's reaction to that display of domestic terrorism.

&#8220;Isn&#8217;t that exactly what happened in Cleveland?&#8221; I asked. &#8220;These five men, all linked with Occupy Wall Street, attempted to blow up a bridge as an overture to the wholesale destruction of Cleveland, Ohio, and in the name of anarchism. They also looked to blow up the Republican convention.&#8221;

&#8220;They were anarchists,&#8221; he repeated.

&#8220;Yes?&#8221;

He paused. &#8220;We&#8217;re not really set up to cover the extreme Left.&#8221;

This was at least honest. He must have heard me thinking, because he continued, &#8220;Some people ask why we don&#8217;t cover prison gangs or the Crips and the Bloods, because they are violent, too. But they aren&#8217;t political, you see.&#8221;

&#8220;But Occupy is political,&#8221; I suggested.

Back to the honesty: &#8220;Well, take it if you will, or won&#8217;t.&#8221;

&#8220;Fair enough.&#8221;

He felt the need to keep explaining, so I let him. We only ever cover left-wing groups when they have a right-wing component, he told me. For example, &#8220;when anarchist groups are infiltrated by those on the right; Neo-Nazis, that sort of thing.&#8221;

I asked whether this was a little like the way the French do masculine and feminine plurals; that if there are a thousand women and one man, it becomes masculine. In other words, that the SPLC covers a group if there is even a minute &#8220;right-wing&#8221; component. &#8220;Yes, I suppose so,&#8221; he said.

I left it there, but I couldn&#8217;t help feeling that there was a little bit of a syllogism going on; that being that &#8220;Left&#8221; equals &#8220;good,&#8221; and &#8220;Right&#8221; equals &#8220;bad,&#8221; and therefore anything &#8220;Left&#8221; couldn&#8217;t be &#8220;bad&#8221; unless it were infiltrated by the &#8220;Right.&#8221; In my time covering Occupy Wall Street I have seen anti-Semitism, black nationalism, class hatred, and threats of violence; there have been rapes, a few murders, and now some domestic terrorism. One would have thought that these things would be sufficient warrant for a group like the Southern Poverty Law Center to stand up and take serious note, but, as I learned yesterday, there&#8217;s one problem: They&#8217;re just &#8220;not set up to cover the extreme Left.&#8221;

http://www.nationalreview.com/corne...outhern-poverty-law-center-charles-c-w-cooke#

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
This was a NATO protest. It was not Occupy Wall Street.

Part of occupy. One of OWS founding principles, along with the founding principles of communism - is to end capitalism. Or was this just another "isolated incident"?

Here's another show of what OWS stands for - taking from others that doesn't belong to you. Assholes were taking over land and using it for themselves.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_20619490/uc-police-move-occupy-farm-protesters-albany

ALBANY -- University of California police arrested protesters still occupying the university-owned Gill Tract on Monday morning, ending a standoff of sorts that had stretched out for weeks.

Dozens of officers clad in riot gear and brandishing batons began staging early in the morning near the 10-acre site near San Pablo and Marin avenues that is used for research by UC Berkeley's College of Natural Resources.

"The purpose of today's action is to ensure our faculty and students can conduct the research projects to which they have devoted much of their academic and professional lives," a prepared statement from university officials read. "Over the course of the last three weeks we have consistently stated that the field must be prepared for research crops by the middle of May, and we simply cannot wait any longer lest our faculty and students lose a full year of work."

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Is that what the voices in your head tell you? The story does not mention Occupy Wall Street at all.

Just google "occupy nato" in the news section. OWS is behind the NATO protests. And as I explained to you, the message is the same - end capitalism.

http://www.wgnradio.com/news/ct-met-nato-demonstration-plans-0513-20120513,0,4005698.story

Many out-of-town protesters have turned to the Internet to link up with others traveling to Chicago and to find places to stay, from spare bedrooms and empty couches to backyards where they can pitch a tent.

Several protest websites have message boards helping people set up carpools. Most sites also have message boards to help people find lodging, although that's been a trickier prospect, said Zoe Sigman, an organizer with Occupy Chicago.

Members of Occupy movements in several other cities are used to camping in public spaces, which Chicago authorities did not allow during Occupy protests in the fall and have said they will not allow during NATO.

"A lot of people said, 'We're Occupy, let's camp,'" Sigman said. "And we said, 'Um, this is Chicago, haven't you been paying attention?'"

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
That is not what it says. You do not know what you're talking about.
Right, right...this is an isolated incident, not connected to OWS at all.

That excuse doesn't hold water anymore, especially since some occupiers tried to blow up a bridge.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Right, right...this is an isolated incident, not connected to OWS at all.

That excuse doesn't hold water anymore, especially since some occupiers tried to blow up a bridge.

Actually "some" is more like "five"

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
This was a NATO protest. It was not Occupy Wall Street.
Uh huh...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-nato-protest-pictures,0,7067848.photogallery
69935632.jpg

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Just google "occupy nato" in the news section. OWS is behind the NATO protests. And as I explained to you, the message is the same - end capitalism.

http://www.wgnradio.com/news/ct-met-nato-demonstration-plans-0513-20120513,0,4005698.story
This is true. Behind all these different protest groups it's the same core and the same aim - to eliminate capitalism. These people aren't anarchists, they're just Marxists.

A "Week Without Capitalism" indeed. Like anyone would notice a week without THEIR contributions to capitalism.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
That is not what it says. You do not know what you're talking about.
You'll have to forgive Spidey. He's not burdened by reality like most of the rest of us. He sees the 3% and proclaims it to be whole truth, unable to even see the 97% that contradicts him. His "brain" simply refuses to acknowledge it.

In this case, he saw 3% of the article, specifically the words "protest" and "OWS". Never mind the vast majority of other words talking about the multitude of different movements and groups involved, never mind the Chicago Tribune article clearly states, "organized by the Catholic Worker movement", never mind that this protest was an anti-war protest, something America's seen for 45 years (which is roughly 45 years longer than OWS has existed), never mind any of that because Spidey knows better. He has seen the 3% and it comprises his entire reality.

Best just to nod your head and slowly back away.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Good God, American schools must suck even more than I realized. Apparently reading comprehension is a lost art in some sectors. Did you happen to notice the headline for the page you linked? It's those big, bold words at the top of the screen:

Catholic Worker NATO protest

And if that's too subtle for you, there's the very first sentence: "About 100 demonstrators, organized by the Catholic Worker movement, ..." But no, I'm sure you and Spidey know this is really secret code for Occupy Wall Street. It must be a media conspiracy, that's the only logical* explanation. (*Where "logical" apparently means "insane".)

Here's a hint. I have a Rolling Stones t-shirt. It doesn't mean I'm a member of the band, let alone a representative for them.

Edit: I should also commend you on your commitment to emulating Spidey. Eleven pictures showing scores of signs and shirts (almost entirely with anti-war messages), yet you managed to shut them all out except for the single, solitary one that included the word "Occupy". Here's another hint. Reality isn't just the 3% sliver of the world that corroborates your biases.

Last edited:

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
This is true. Behind all these different protest groups it's the same core and the same aim - to eliminate capitalism. These people aren't anarchists, they're just Marxists.

A "Week Without Capitalism" indeed. Like anyone would notice a week without THEIR contributions to capitalism.
Yep, that's the only reason people protest: eliminating capitalism. It's not about ending wars, the environment, fighting hunger, human rights, racial discrimination ... or ending corruption. Nope, it's all about ending capitalism. It must be true because that's what all the nutter infotainers say.

Are you going to break the bad news to the Tea Party protestors? Those fools thought they were protesting big government and high taxes. Good thing you and Spidey can set them straight.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Yep, that's the only reason people protest: eliminating capitalism. It's not about ending wars, the environment, fighting hunger, human rights, racial discrimination ... or ending corruption. Nope, it's all about ending capitalism. It must be true because that's what all the nutter infotainers say.

Are you going to break the bad news to the Tea Party protestors? Those fools thought they were protesting big government and high taxes. Good thing you and Spidey can set them straight.

Stopping/ending capitalism is one of the core messages of OWS and this group. They are one and the same - marxists/communists. And then we have the proof via the occupier in their group. Are you ignoring all the other "labor" groups (code word for commie) that are part of OWS? This is just another group "standing in solidarity" for OWS communists goals.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Stopping/ending capitalism is one of the core messages of OWS and this group. They are one and the same - marxists/communists. And then we have the proof via the occupier in their group. Are you ignoring all the other "labor" groups (code word for commie) that are part of OWS? This is just another group "standing in solidarity" for OWS communists goals.

LOL. I'm glad I unblocked you. You're hilarious with these extremist conclusions you come up with. Now all organized labor is nothing but a front for some imaginary communist movement in America. Thanks for giving me a good laugh.