Occasional boot up problem

Arbitrator

Nov 29, 2006
Hi,

Every few boot ups my PC freezes with the screen as shown. Sorry about the flash reflection.
Any ideas where to start looking?
980ti, I5, Win10

Boot.jpg

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Once it's up and running and there any issues? Any issues under load?

Sometimes a bad cable will do something like that, but a little odd if it only happens at boot-up.

What power supply? and how old it is?

Are you running UEFI? Because if you are only seeing it at bootup, I could see that as being the problem, in which case a BIOS update may be what you need.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If that's an analog VGA LCD, might need to hit the "auto-adjust" button, once you've reached the desktop... or maybe when it's in the "funky mode" too.

Does the PC eventually boot up, or does it freeze on that screen when it happens? Could be a PSU or GPU problem if so.

Arbitrator

Nov 29, 2006
It's fine once booted normally and runs well under load. When this happens the PC will not boot, I have to do a hard reset.
The PSU is a XFX PRO750 board is Z77-D3H, on latest BIOS.
Few years since I built it so I may just pull everything apart and re-seat it all.

Arbitrator

Nov 29, 2006
Couple of years TBH but that will be part of the 'pull everything apart' process.
I wouldn't have thought dust should affect boot up, more like overheating once running which is never an issue.
I'll let you know of any improvements.