OC question: P3700E or C566@850?

mobofreak

Jun 28, 2000
Hey guys,

Just wondering which setup would be ideal for the system that I have right now. I have a BH6 with the NV bios, so I know that both of those procs would be fine for my mobo. I also have a 128 megs of CAS2 PC100 memory.

I know that going the P3 route would be a little more expensive but would the performance increase be worth it over the performance I would get from the celeron? I mostly use my computer to play games and surf the web, so good game performance is a must. I know that without even overclocking the P3700 I would have the performance that could rival that of the oced celeron is that correct? So if I was to oc the 700, which I plan on doing, that performance would be much greater.
Right now I'm leaning toward the P3700, and another question, what would be a better choice, the Slot 1 Version or the FCPGA? And what about cooling? I'm not going to be doing massive ocing as I only have the PC100 ram, would a slot 1 orb be enough for say 868 (7*124)? Oh yeah, almost forgot, would it be worth it to shell out extra for cBo stepping if I don't plan on a massive overclock?

TIA for any info.

snow patrol

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2000
The Celeron 2, in all honesty, has been hugely crippled by Intel - and so I'd suggest that if you have the cash, definitely go for the P3. Even at 700mhz, the P3 will out perform a Celeron2 at much higher clock speeds. Take a look at Anand's recent C2 700 review for proof..:
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1264.

You'd be advised to go for the new stepping as they have higher potential speeds, and the Slot 1 and Orb should do nicely. If you can, perhaps try and look for a place that sells chips guaranteed to reach certain overclocked speeds...just a suggestion.

rigor

Banned
Mar 21, 2000
You'll more than likely need pc-133 ram and a GOOD video card that lets the agp run near 89 mghz to overclock the p3-700, you'll need none of the said about to overclock a celeron to say 850.

$135 for a celeron running at 850,slotket,fan is nominal.

the p3-700 will probably cost you double that amount.

how much more performance will you get?

If you can clock your ram and video/pci up with p3-700 , a bit more. Otherwise the celeron 2 solution would give you more bang for the buck it seems.

snow patrol

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2000
Bang for buck is all very well, but sometimes people actually want something that is going to give excellent performance. The 700e at 900+Mhz will far surpass the performance of a C2 at 850mhz, and will last you longer. I'd say it's worth paying extra for..

BTW mobofreak - you can get pre-tested P3 700e's guaranteed to 933+Mhz at http://cheapchips.virtualave.net/index.htm. Good luck.

mobofreak

Jun 28, 2000
Thanks for the input guys but one final question. Judging from the benchmarks, even without ocing, the 700 would still be faster than the overclocked 566@850 right? The benchmarks seem to put it a little above P3 600/100 performance.

Thanks again.

HellRaven

Feb 5, 2000
Just wanted to toss in a little to this discussion. It depends on how much you want to spend for how much performance. Yes, the PIII OC'd to 933 will run a good bit faster than a 850 celeronII. Not only because of the higher clock, but because of the advantages a true PIII has over a somewhat "Crippled" CII. However, the celerons go for $100 OEM, plus $30 for a slocket + cooler(golden orb is best). As for a PIII, you are talking $250 or more, plus $30 for slocket/orb (though orb not truly needed, some are doing 933 on stock heatsink/fan). Personally, as someone running on an AMD K6-2 400 and looking for a good bang for the buck, I am waiting for AMD Duron processors and the Socket A Motherboards to hit the market in quantity. Why?

1. Durons have excellent Overclocking possibilities on the upcoming ASUS Mobo. 950 mhz out of a $180 sounds sweet to me (though we wont know for sure until ASUS mobo hits the street).

2. Socket A is the platform that AMD will be using for the forseeable future which opens up the upgrade path. Also comparable if you get a flip chip, just that you may need a new mobo later on for it. So get new mobo now versus a new one later. Your choice.

3. I can wait another 1-3 months. I am an avid gamer so performance means alot to me, but I am also patient. I also happen like AMD =)

Anyway, just thought you might like to hear my reasoning. Sounds like you want a good solution now. So to sum up my opinion - If you must have a new Processor with really good performace go for the PIII OC to 933. If you must have a new processor but your not too worried about a bit less performance and you want to save some cash (who doesnt hehe) for the celly 566 to 850+

snow patrol

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2000

<< Judging from the benchmarks, even without ocing, the 700 would still be faster than the overclocked 566@850 right? The benchmarks seem to put it a little above P3 600/100 performance. >>

This is correct...the Celeron 2...um...isn't really that good!