OC problem!

djZOO

Dec 30, 2006
Hey lads
I got a e6400 and 2 gb ram corsair 6400 C4 800 MHZ
MOBO is a p5n-sli 650i

My problem is that when i overclock my computer is freezing in windows and so on, i mean when open a game it freeze etc

right now i got it as standard, but as soon as i try to oc it goes wrong
What do i do wrong?

I set settings like this bios

Ram volt 2.1
cpu volt 1.375
Ram i play them on 4-4-4-12

FSB 1600
RAM 800 1:1

With unlinked and sync it get 1:1

Spreadtum (cant remember how to spell) all off + all the cpu things + Qfan + exubite or something, hyper etc etc all disabled...

THen i safe and i boot to windows, but when playing a game it freeze and is unstable as hell.. What causing this? ?

drjman

Nov 23, 2006
1600Mhz FSB is whats causing it to crash. Thats pretty high and on the bring of unstable for most people. And that obviously includes yoU! crank it down in increments and see what works

djZOO

Dec 30, 2006
no i think that

Cuz on 1500 fsb its also freeze and is ustable

Atm im running at 2.4 ghz 1200 fsb gonna see if its stable here..

genec57

Nov 7, 2006
1600Mhz fsb is high but doable. I think the Vcore is a bit low for that speed. Somewhere around 1.4 will probably be more stable and the memory timings are probably a bit tight, might loosen a bit to see what happens.

gerwen

Nov 24, 2006
I'm not really familiar with the 680i chipset, but here's my thoughts anyway.

1600 FSB is the same as setting a 400 FSB on a 965P board, which i am familiar with. 1600 FSB is running your ram at its rated speed. Your ram should have no trouble with that at its rated timings, you should be able to leave them at auto, or set them manually. You can try 5-5-5-18, as that is looser than stock (assuming CAS4). You may have to bump the voltage to 2.1V or more to get it to run properly there. Check your specs to see if you can find a rated voltage for that speed.

1600 FSB would be 3.2GHz for your chip. Most find they can do that with the E6400 at or near stock voltage (1.325) There's a few that can do it at less than stock. (Myself included, 1.275V). Processor and voltage are probably not your bottleneck, but you can safely bump it up a few notches to eliminate this as a problem, and step it down later to find its stable level. Stay below 1.45 or so for now though.

Bottlenecks could be:
Pci-e Frequency- lock it at 100
Pci frequency - set it to 33.3 (if you can, my board doesn't let me)
Chipset voltage - could need a bump to stay stable.

Try and figure out what is causing instability. Booting to windows is good, you might be just a tweak or two away from rock solid.

Get orthos and run the blend test. See if it fails or freezes your computer. If not, it may just be graphics related. Might point back to the pci-e frequency.

Get coretemp or Intel's TaT to monitor your temps. Anything over 60C under orthos load is approaching too hot, and you may want to consider dropping Vcore.