OC for AMD X2 3600 newbie here ^_^

artazexel

Jan 21, 2007
I just bought a new system and i want to try to OC, just like what I said on the topic I'm a newbie when it comes to this, the specs of my computer is: Processor AM2 X2 3600 S940; Motherboard Asrock AM2NF6G-VSTA DDR2; Memory DDR2 512MB PC800; video card Palit 7100GS PCI-E 256MB DDR.

I have a plan to upgrade the memory of my system to 2 Gigs of memory and even my video card because i heared my video card is a very lowend type kind graphic card adapter.

To till you guys honestly i don't know what to do first, do i need a software to be downloaded first to test the capability of my hardwares or something like that...

Please help T_T

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
I'm not sure how good of a ocing/tweakers board your mobo is. But you need to set a lower multiplyer to the Hypertransport Bandwidth Link, Make it a 3x or 600mhz. And then set the memory ratio down to 133 or 166 or so.

I would start the htt mhz at 230mhz, and then ramp up the htt (fsb) in 10mhz steps or so until it starts getting unstable, and then lower by a mhz steps until you reach stability. You should have no problems getting to 2.4ghz with that chip. 2.7 or higher is possible if its a good chip and you have decent cooling.

That is pretty much the simplified way to oc with the A64's.

Jason

artazexel

Jan 21, 2007
My friend told me that i need to download a software before i do OC, can you give me all the tolls that i need to perform OC pls!

Ryan the newbie ^_^

Furen

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2004
You need no software to overclock, you can do it all through the BIOS. You CAN overclock in software if you want but since I have no experience in that regard, I can't help you there.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: artazexel
ahhh ok... can i ask if what will this software do? i have read one of the way to OC in this site the guy give this link http://www.memtest86.com/ and http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm what will the software from this site do?

Memtest will give you a test of the memory, to see if it's stable or not. Prime95 will do the CPU and RAM at the same time, but focuses more on the CPU.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
You can use software to oc if you want also. Clockgen will do it, so will SysTool and quite a few others.

Jason

artazexel

Jan 21, 2007
can you till me how to use the Prime95 pls? do i need to make a bootable CD? or i just need to use this software on windows mode?

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: artazexel
can you till me how to use the Prime95 pls? do i need to make a bootable CD? or i just need to use this software on windows mode?

You download the installer, install it, and run the program. No CD needed. A run of 12+ hours successfully means your overclock settings are good. Please remember to overclock in small increments and not to jump the gun and set the processor to a very high speed right away, as this is your first time and doing so might damage your chip. Good luck.