Obummer's overtures towards business falls flat

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
My understanding is that this bill that was signed today that basically only helped out public employees was originally part of a much larger bill designed for job growth. Due to a variety of reasons, the bill was cut back tremendously and it's where it is at now.

From what I read, Democrats in the Senate are planning to try and offer a bill that will make it easier for small businesses to get loans after the recess.

http://www.automatedtrader.net/real...drop-30-billion-fund-from-small-business-bill

There is some info about it, but from what I've read there are plans to resurrect it in a few weeks.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
By: Patrick Allen
CNBC Senior News Editor

Digg
* Buzz
* Facebook
* Twitter
* More Share

America is a "Mickey Mouse economy" that is technically bankrupt, according to Jochen Wermuth, the Chief Investment Officer (CIO) and managing partner at Wermuth Asset Management.

"America today looks like Russia in 1998. Consumers, companies and the government are all highly indebted. America as a result is a bankrupt Mickey Mouse economy," Wermuth told CNBC.

The comments followed news that the Fed was extending its quantitative easing program following what the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) described as a fall in the pace of growth in output and employment.

The Fed has spent the past three years on a route of aggressive rate cuts and purchases of trillions in various securities but it is running out of measures it can take, Pimco's co-CEO Mohamed El-Erian told CNBC.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Awww, are the little rightwing sock puppets following their orders again?

LOL no shit I just ignore them. I have about 12 users here in my ignore list. I am not naive or stupid enough to think those are 12 unique people. 4 or 5 at the most and their pathetic alts.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Now that we got that cleared up...besides constant whining and pointing fingers at everyone except themselves...what are the Dems going to do about it? A little clarity would be nice...no?
Pretty clear what the White House wants to do: let them expire AS SCHEDULED TO.

The only ones "unclear" are the ones that want them extended.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
the obama's bloated sense of personal destiny will continue to drag the country down the road of wrong. He will continue his attack on earned income and find more ways to confiscate it under the guise of earned income redistribution,fees and taxes. All the while insisting on more control of the economy.

Nov 30, 2006
Pretty clear what the White House wants to do: let them expire AS SCHEDULED TO.

The only ones "unclear" are the ones that want them extended.
You're correct...the White House has given business all the certainty they need in order to plan for future staffing levels.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Obama is only hostile towards business in the same way the cops are hostile towards citizens. If you do nothing wrong nothing will happen to you, but if you break the law ....

Should be how every president handles things, but businesses have gotten used to being able to break the law with impunity, and now they're crying because that's no longer the case.

Small businesses are where the bulk of the jobs are created. These businesses are not hiring because they do not know what the future will bring, so rather than expand they hoard cash reserves. Taxes, future regulations, healtcare mandates, etc... many do not want to take a gamble at the moment.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
In Obummer's view, anything that doesn't rapidly increase the size of government is a bad thing, so surely he'll want to make sure the tax cuts expire. Of course, the media will conveniently 'forget' to mention that he promised that taxes would not go up for people making under $250k. Not only was that an obvious lie, taxes are going to go up substantially for a lot of people making a lot less.