Oblivion question

Lazlo Panaflex

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2006
Hey all,
I recently bought a 'low end' horse, but now I can't find him. I backtracked to several stables, but no luck. Is there somewhere wayward horses end up? Tks for your help...

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
If he ran off somewhere chances are he is dead. Take a look at the stable where you bought him and see if he is there.

Lazlo Panaflex

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2006
Dangit..was afraid of that. He's probably gone to horsey heaven, then...

Is Shadowmere the only horse that won't die (easily)?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Yes .. Shadowmere is [ultimately] immortal - unfortunately he sometimes tends to get lost ...
i lost mine - for weeks .. then i came upon him by chance locked in an eternal battle with some NPCs
-it was a touching reunion
:heart:

Lazlo Panaflex

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2006
Originally posted by: apoppin
Yes .. Shadowmere is [ultimately] immortal - unfortunately he sometimes tends to get lost ...
i lost mine - for weeks .. then i came upon him by chance locked in an eternal battle with some NPCs
-it was a touching reunion
:heart:

Nice! Did you hop on his back and eliminate said NPC's? ;)

Lazlo Panaflex

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Lonyo
I lost my Shadowmere too, then he came back. Then he got lost again.

Bummer, man. I vaguely recall that someone found him horsing around (ha ha, bad pun) @ Fort Farragut, maybe try looking there?

Also, has anyone used the Unicorn as a horse? Seems kinda mean to dispatch such a majestic creature... :)

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I loved the idea of getting a horse, but to be honest he was more of a pain than anything else. He always got involved in combat, the NPCs would usually go for him first anyway, and then I would have to try and battle the NPCs without hitting my mount. When it was over I had to heal him. On top of it all I could outrun him pretty much from the outset.

I ended up getting the horse mod and just using him as a summonable backpack with majr-league carrying capacity.

Lazlo Panaflex

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2006
Yeah, I found the horse to be useful when outrunning the bears & those damn Spider Daedra & such (when I didn't feel like fighting 'em, that is :) heh)

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Anytime I lose my horse, I just fast travel to a town and the horse and I get reunited. Never had one disappear where that wouldnt work.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: oldhoss

Bummer, man. I vaguely recall that someone found him horsing around (ha ha, bad pun) @ Fort Farragut, maybe try looking there?

Also, has anyone used the Unicorn as a horse? Seems kinda mean to dispatch such a majestic creature... :)

I rode one once, but that was as part of a Daedra Shrine quest (where I had to kill it at the end).

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
I gave up on horses also once I had the gray cowl and enough strength. With that much feather I ran like a total maniac even with full heavy armor on.

Lazlo Panaflex

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2006

I rode one once, but that was as part of a Daedra Shrine quest (where I had to kill it at the end).

Yep, I recently completed that quest. I wonder if the Deadly Reflex mod would work with the unicorn? Haven't tried that mod yet.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: EvilComputer92
I gave up on horses also once I had the gray cowl and enough strength. With that much feather I ran like a total maniac even with full heavy armor on.

I think I have a total of about 350 feather now through 2 rings + cowl.
Almost tempting to enchant some basic clothes so once I've cleaned out a dungeon I can take all the loot.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I'm pretty sure even with tons of feather on, you still move faster on a fast horse.

If you lose a horse, it should return to the stables of the town you bought it at (unless killed)

Shadowmere returns to Fort Farragut (usually, sometimes it doesn't and I don't know why)

As far as making running away easier, build up conjuration. Summon something and leave, 90% of the time the monster will focus on what you summoned instead of you, and you're long gone before the summoned thing is dead. I recommend getting Conjuration up to 75% and summoning a Clannfear. They're fast and have a natural reflect damage. Also they deal pretty good damage themselves.

If you just want to forget the horse and munchkin so you don't care about running, read on.

Instead of enchanting your armors with Feather. I recommend pulling the stones from Oblivion gates and getting either Fire Shield, Frost Shiled, or Shock Shield. At high levels they'll give oyu 25% resistance to their named element and 25 points of armor. Your natural max armor rating is 85 (notice when you go over 85 it will still show 85). But you can get much higher. I have a character with a 185 armor rating in heavy armor. Plus a Ring of the Iron Fist (33% reflect damage), Mundane Ring (50% resist magic, 35% reflect spell), and Escutcheon of Chorrol (35% reflect damage), and Ayleid Crown of Lindai (35% resist magic), and a necklace I enchanted to give me 20% resist magic.

So if you're counting, my main character has
105% Resist Magic (magic does not affect me)
35% reflect spell
68% reflect damage
185 armor rating. (I actually am probably closer to 180 since the crown of Lindai offers less protection than a Daedric helm)

Even in high level games you're basically invincible with this setup. I never see my health bar go very low and it's kinda the most munchkin I could figure out to make a character in this game. At this point who cares about a horse for outrunning things, they kill themselves by hitting you.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: thraashman
I'm pretty sure even with tons of feather on, you still move faster on a fast horse.

If you lose a horse, it should return to the stables of the town you bought it at (unless killed)

Shadowmere returns to Fort Farragut (usually, sometimes it doesn't and I don't know why)

As far as making running away easier, build up conjuration. Summon something and leave, 90% of the time the monster will focus on what you summoned instead of you, and you're long gone before the summoned thing is dead. I recommend getting Conjuration up to 75% and summoning a Clannfear. They're fast and have a natural reflect damage. Also they deal pretty good damage themselves.

If you just want to forget the horse and munchkin so you don't care about running, read on.

Instead of enchanting your armors with Feather. I recommend pulling the stones from Oblivion gates and getting either Fire Shield, Frost Shiled, or Shock Shield. At high levels they'll give oyu 25% resistance to their named element and 25 points of armor. Your natural max armor rating is 85 (notice when you go over 85 it will still show 85). But you can get much higher. I have a character with a 185 armor rating in heavy armor. Plus a Ring of the Iron Fist (33% reflect damage), Mundane Ring (50% resist magic, 35% reflect spell), and Escutcheon of Chorrol (35% reflect damage), and Ayleid Crown of Lindai (35% resist magic), and a necklace I enchanted to give me 20% resist magic.

35% reflect spell
68% reflect damage
185 armor rating. (I actually am probably closer to 180 since the crown of Lindai offers less protection than a Daedric helm)

Even in high level games you're basically invincible with this setup. I never see my health bar go very low and it's kinda the most munchkin I could figure out to make a character in this game. At this point who cares about a horse for outrunning things, they kill themselves by hitting you.
Chameleon + high sneak + marksman + Daedric bow + high speed + the light armour thing with 35% reflect.
No one sees you, you can just rain arrows at the enemy.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
Originally posted by: thraashman

35% reflect spell
68% reflect damage

I have the ring of Iron Fist and Mundane Ring. Most expensive items I have right now. I'm still searching around for a daedric longsword though, not sure if I will see them at level 29.

Chameleon + high sneak + marksman + Daedric bow + high speed + the light armour thing with 35% reflect.

100% chameleon is practically a cheat. You can go around slashing enemies right in front of their faces and then just stand there getting beaten.

Yep, I recently completed that quest. I wonder if the Deadly Reflex mod would work with the unicorn? Haven't tried that mod yet.

If you use swords/blunt weapons a lot be sure to download that mod. It adds some very interesting features like decapitation and skull crushing, in addition to horse combat and shield bashing. Makes combat much more fun.

Also what kind of FPS do you get in oblivion? I was just wondering because I'm running on an 8800gt with 2gb along with Qarl's textures. The game still frequently drops to 15-20 fps in many areas, and it's especially frustrating in combat.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

100% chameleon is practically a cheat. You can go around slashing enemies right in front of their faces and then just stand there getting beaten.

I've done the 100% chameleon. In fact I always keep the Ring of Khadjit and a necklace and ring each with 30% chameleon on me to switch out when I want stealth. Then I can cast a low level chameleon spell that lasts 60 second and be 100% chameleon with almost no change in what I'm wearing. The problem with that is that it gets dull. There's alot less fun when you don't get some resistance back. I like the feeling of having a room full of people attacking me and watching them drop dead without me ever taking a single shot. Or I can fight back and just hack my way through them.

Really the only times now I bother with 100% chameleon is in Thieves guild quests that require stealth.

Lazlo Panaflex

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2006
Thanks for the tips, guys. Question - did you get those items from completing quests, or dungeon looting, etc? No spoilers, please ;) Just curious, since I'm @ level 22, & IMO seem to have rather blase stuff (Orc Curiass, Dwarven Shield, Ebony boots, ebony bow, fire greaves, some helm that bestows +20 magica, Elven longsword, debaser, etc.)

I'll have to give that mod a shot. Evil, did you get the drops before installing Qarl's? I'm running vanilla with a few visual mods (can't remember them off the top of my head), but no Qarls. 1600x1200, ultra high settings, HDR, no AA. I tweaked the .ini file using the tweak guide (www.tweakguides.com). Not sure my exact FPS, will have to run that. But I still get some slight but annoying stuttering/hitching when stuff is being rendered in the distance. Guess it's the engine?

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Thanks for the tips, guys. Question - did you get those items from completing quests, or dungeon looting, etc? No spoilers, please ;) Just curious, since I'm @ level 22, & IMO seem to have rather blase stuff (Orc Curiass, Dwarven Shield, Ebony boots, ebony bow, fire greaves, some helm that bestows +20 magica, Elven longsword, debaser, etc.)

I'll have to give that mod a shot. Evil, did you get the drops before installing Qarl's? I'm running vanilla with a few visual mods (can't remember them off the top of my head), but no Qarls. 1600x1200, ultra high settings, HDR, no AA. I tweaked the .ini file using the tweak guide (www.tweakguides.com). Not sure my exact FPS, will have to run that. But I still get some slight but annoying stuttering/hitching when stuff is being rendered in the distance. Guess it's the engine?

Some things get better as you level, but not all things. The Escutcheon of Chorrol I believe is best if gotten after level 29 and you get it from completing a certain quest that you get in Chorrol.

Ring of Khadjit I think is a Daedric Shrine quest. Mundane Ring can be rare dropped by a specific person or on occasion show up randomly and is probably the best single ring in the game. Ring of Iron Fist I have no clue. Most everything else you should go into Oblivion gates and get the sigil stone. The abilities on a stone are randomly generated as you grab it, so you can save and quick reload if you don't like what you pull. The Ayeleid Crown of Lindai is part of a quest you'll get in the main city.

I don't think I gave any spoilers.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004

I got those items through dungeon looting, although some daedric quests can grant you very useful items. I use Francesco's leveled creatures and items mod so my loot drops might be somewhat different than standard oblivion.

I would recommend getting into the Arcane University even if your not a mage type character because it allows you to enchant all your equipment, so even simple weapons/armor become very powerful.

I had the drops before and after Qarls, so I don't think it's that. The torchlight almost always takes off 10 fps for some reason. In the forests, FPS also drops very quickly. I also have the issue of the annoying stuttering except it gets much worse when I'm travelling to a new area, then the game becomes almost unplayable due to the stuttering. I'm running on 1280x1024, ultra high, HDR, no aa. This game has a very unoptimized engine, it runs abysmally considering how it looks by todays standards.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

I think I have a total of about 350 feather now through 2 rings + cowl.
Almost tempting to enchant some basic clothes so once I've cleaned out a dungeon I can take all the loot.
Max could outrun Shadowmere .. and keep up with the fast little freak, what's his name?

Max and i got to Level 92 without cheating or using the console
:p
.. and 8 million in Gold .. rich bastage
"You have achieved perfection .. perfection cannot be improved upon"

i started playing Oblivion on Day 1 and was the first player to report logging over 1,000 hours [with the vanilla game] on the official TES forum. Over 1,250 hours in all with the expansions and mods
rose.gif

now i can't stand to play it
:Q