Oblivion - Is the a mod to fix the crap map size?

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Google does not seem to know, or I am asking it the wrong question.
Basically, I think anyone who has ever played the game must think the map interface is terrible. I can't zoom in or out and the default size is such that I can't see more than one city at a time. Wtf? Is there an in game fix? A mod?

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
On my PC when I go to the world map, it only takes up a quarter of my screen. I have to use the mouse pointer to move it around to see everything.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Odd. I am playing on a 17" laptop...no such interface in my game. Have you used any of the patches or mods? I assume you are clicking on the compass icon at the bottom of the page to bring up the world map?

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
The map does suck horribly. There was a mod to improve it by adding roads and stuff, but it really didn't fix the stupid interface.

But the Skyrim map was even worse.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
There are many map mods for Oblivian, including full color with details. You just have to look on Nexus. As for the OP'S map being so small, I have no idea...never saw that before.
Is there an easy way to take a screen shot in game?
That might help give everyone an idea as to what is actually on your screen.

Truthslayer

Dec 21, 2010
I'm thinking the confusion may lie in what map the OP is using. Oblivion, by default has two map modes: the local, zoomed-in map that focuses on a single city/district/cave and immediate area when outside, and the overall map with markers for fast travel.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
I'm thinking the confusion may lie in what map the OP is using. Oblivion, by default has two map modes: the local, zoomed-in map that focuses on a single city/district/cave and immediate area when outside, and the overall map with markers for fast travel.
Very true...the single area map is for defining details only for a specific area, not the complete world.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012

This. I think it is very daunting for a new RPG player to understand the ui in oblivion. Heck, even I thought the map was weird when I first played. It was ony when I accidentally clicked that I saw the world map. But this was during the first few days of oblivion's release and fast travel wasn't yet included. Now, I think after you get out of the sewers for the first time, the game asks you whether you want to fast travel to Weynon Priory, thus exposing you to the world map.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
See? Not a useful size. For one, the map should use the ENTIRE screen. For two, if it won't let us zoom in an out, then it should be zoomed out a lot further. You are forced to forever use the mouse to move it around to find the city you want to fast travel to. And doing that is moving the map a couple of inches at a time because it is so small.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Aug 11, 2008
See? Not a useful size. For one, the map should use the ENTIRE screen. For two, if it won't let us zoom in an out, then it should be zoomed out a lot further. You are forced to forever use the mouse to move it around to find the city you want to fast travel to. And doing that is moving the map a couple of inches at a time because it is so small.

Havent played oblivion in a while, but I do not recall the map being long and narrow like that.
What resolution are you playing at?

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
I have never seen anything like that in Oblivian. It looks like some sort of windows/game setting problem, but one would think the world map would still be full screen,albeit small. Strange indeed. You might want to save the save games, delete Oblivian, reinstall, start a new game and then add in the saves...you will lose nothing of the original game. Have you installed the unofficial patch?

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
OP are you playing at some strange res? Like, is your screen one of the ultra wide screen monitors (21:9)? If so, that could be your problem, as the map only scales to a certain size. Otherwise, looks to be just another Bethesda poor coding goof; they have so many, who can even keep track of them all.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Here:

I did have it in the wrong resolution. However, the fundamental problem remains. Do I have another setting wrong, or is this simply the worst map interface ever? Notice that you can only see the Imperial City. If I want to go to another city, I have to awkwardly drag the map around inside that box to see the next city over in order to click and teleport there.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Here:

I did have it in the wrong resolution. However, the fundamental problem remains. Do I have another setting wrong, or is this simply the worst map interface ever? Notice that you can only see the Imperial City. If I want to go to another city, I have to awkwardly drag the map around inside that box to see the next city over in order to click and teleport there.

That's the city view. When you are outside the city it zooms out, or at least it should.