Obama's speech on race in America

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Personally, I thought it was a great speech. I felt that he addressed the issues head on and conveyed a clear message of what he envisioned for race relations in this country and the foundation he would like to put in place without being naive enough to believe that it can be fixed overnight.

I thought that he handled the part about the Rev. appropriately and head on and effectively painted those that will continue to try to push that angle as diverters attempting to keep Americans from discussing the real issues that are effecting us all.

Overall, I couldn't help but think that this must have been how people felt when they listened to Kennedy back in the early '60s. Truly inspiring to me.

What say you?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I'd say I didn't hear it :D:

Need to look it up

Prediction: It won't matter much, because those who have used this as an issue will be able to find two words and expound on them to invalidate the whole.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I didn't watch it, because all major politicians are full of shit and say what needs to be said.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
he is great at giving speech's. far better then anyone else i can remember.

i just loved it when he throws his grandmother under the bus. tells everyone how she would call people racial names lol

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy

i just loved it when he throws his grandmother under the bus. tells everyone how she would call people racial names lol

Yeah, that was real swell of Obama considering his grandparents paid for his private school education.

Meanwhile

About that same time, another letter crossed the Pacific, this one heading to Africa. It was from Barack Obama Sr. to his mother, Sarah Hussein Onyango Obama. Though the letter didn't go into great detail, it said he had met a young woman named Ann (not Stanley). There wasn't much on how they met or what the attraction was, but he announced their plans to wed.

The Dunhams weren't happy. Stanley Ann's prospective father-in-law was furious. He wrote the Dunhams "this long, nasty letter saying that he didn't approve of the marriage," Obama recounted his mother telling him in "Dreams." "He didn't want the Obama blood sullied by a white woman."

Barak went on to say:

"In the white community, the path to a more perfect union means acknowledging that what ails the African-American community does not just exist in the minds of black people; that the legacy of discrimination and current incidents of discrimination, while less overt than in the past ? are real and must be addressed ?"

How does the good Reverend Wright's "The US of KKK-A", "white greed", "Israel is a dirty word", "the government created AIDs to kill black people" among just a few comments help with race relations? That's not Wright "elevating what's wrong with America" as Obama put it. That's "blame whitey" rhetoric from the word go. And Obama echoed the "blame whitey" in his speech.

To me, Obama isn't showing the politics of hope or change. He's showing the standard politician double-talk and I have to question his judgement in light of the fact that he doesn't have a record to stand on.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Queasy

To me, Obama isn't showing the politics of hope or change. He's showing the standard politician double-talk and I have to question his judgement in light of the fact that he doesn't have a record to stand on.

QFT

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
It was cute, sometimes clever. The overall theme sort of dropped the ball by holding onto his mentor. I get the feeling Obama felt the same racist hatred in his youth.

So he?s not a perfect candidate. He?s human though, and likely not the worst candidate. It is tempting to forgive him so long as he truly has repented as he says.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I wonder if the same people defending Obama would defend a White politician going to a church where similar rhetoric was been preached by a White man? For some reason I don't think so....

And this shows the sad state of affairs in American politics when this guy, Hillary and McCain are the best we can put up.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: alphatarget1

QFT

Neither one of them have a long record to stand on but I'll take Obama's over Clinton's. I'll also take either of them over what we know all too well from McCain.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: waggy

It's called being honest.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Robor

QFT

Neither one of them have a long record to stand on but I'll take Obama's over Clinton's. I'll also take either of them over what we know all too well from McCain.

That's the thing though, Obama doesn't have a record. Bobby Jindal (the new young Louisiana Governor) has done more in a couple of months as Governor than Obama has done his entire career. Obama's appeal seems to be that he is a good speaker with a blank slate but not much of a resume to show that he's able to get anything done.

Obama claims he the candidate of change. Where's the change? What did he do to clean up corruption in Illinois? It looks like nothing as he instead got in bed with Rezco. Other than being a man of mixed heritage running for office, what has he done for race relations? Given that he attended a church with the mad conspiracy ranting of Rev Wright for 20 years, even that looks dubious now especially after this speech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Sawyer
I wonder if the same people defending Obama would defend a White politician going to a church where similar rhetoric was been preached by a White man? For some reason I don't think so....

And this shows the sad state of affairs in American politics when this guy, Hillary and McCain are the best we can put up.

FYI: that's what you are doing by defending Hillary and McCain, both of whom have "spiritual advisers" who have espoused racist and bigoted views in the past.

But you're right, this does show the sad state of affairs in American politics, where the most bizarre, least likely, and upside-down mudslinging is usually the most effective.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I doubt the same people would but I'm sure plenty of far rights would excuse it. Strom Thurmond ring a bell?

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I'm not defending the snake Hillary or McCain, I wouldn't vote for either of them.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001

I doubt the same people would but I'm sure plenty of far rights would excuse it. Strom Thurmond ring a bell?

Robert Byrd ring a bell?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic

FYI: that's what you are doing by defending Hillary and McCain, both of whom have "spiritual advisers" who have espoused racist and bigoted views in the past.

But you're right, this does show the sad state of affairs in American politics, where the most bizarre, least likely, and upside-down mudslinging is usually the most effective.

Humans have always enjoyed public hangings.

Rockinacoustic

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2006
Do you guys even listen to his play on words or does his voice simply soothe you to contempt?

Obama has such genius Oratory that he can take such matters, blame them on his mentor, blame his mentor's twisted views on white America, and Israeli relations, and then come to a complete tangent and give the feel-good lecture on how we have to face our current troubles as not the segregated country we are, but as Americans.

Can the man do any wrong?

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

I agree, people in general are full of BS and not worried about the state of our nation moving ahead, but cheering their "side" on and defending it no matter what, that is the problem with our political system.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Rockinacoustic
Do you guys even listen to his play on words or does his voice simply soothe you to contempt?

Obama has such genius Oratory that he can take such matters, blame them on his mentor, blame his mentor's twisted views on white America, and Israeli relations, and then come to a complete tangent and give the feel-good lecture on how we have to face our current troubles as not the segregated country we are, but as Americans.

Yes he can. We're just waiting for it to surface. The best argument against him to date has been that he's associated with someone who has serious issues with America. Obama served a number of years at a state level before he came to the Senate. If in that time he was seen to let this kind of talk affect his personal beliefs, would not Fox or Rush have searched for them? Yet they remain curiously quiet in that regard.

Personally I think it past time he addressed the racial issues in this contest. He's been trying to take the high road and not talk in terms of race, but the country as a whole. It was prudent to discuss this and speak plainly. That he did well cannot be held against him.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005

That's the thing though, Obama doesn't have a record. Bobby Jindal (the new young Louisiana Governor) has done more in a couple of months as Governor than Obama has done his entire career. Obama's appeal seems to be that he is a good speaker with a blank slate but not much of a resume to show that he's able to get anything done.

Obama claims he the candidate of change. Where's the change? What did he do to clean up corruption in Illinois? It looks like nothing as he instead got in bed with Rezco. Other than being a man of mixed heritage running for office, what has he done for race relations? Given that he attended a church with the mad conspiracy ranting of Rev Wright for 20 years, even that looks dubious now especially after this speech.

I think that you are confusing the powers and abilities of a governor and a state representative or U.S. senator.

The items that I believe you are referring to when referencing Jindal are things that, as the state's executive, he has more control and influence over. Couple the fact that the reform that he helped push through was some pretty common sense stuff and was being demanded by the constituency..... Also remember that not all of the things that he wanted to get passed did get passed and the ethics reform that he did get passed, his campaign actually had violated and he paid a fine for doing so. ;)

In contrast, Obama's ability to implement change is based on his power to convince hundreds of other people to vote with him on a topic that they might be willing to on their own, but those that are backing them are giving advice not to because they might upset donors or other constituents. Also take into consideration that he is only a member on committees because of he time (or lack thereof) in the legislature.

I know you are going to try to argue that they are the same, but they are world's apart.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

QFT

This line of argument doesn't make any sense. Obama was a state senator, and then a US senator. You are trying to compare him with someone in the executive branch of the state. Anyone with the slightest understanding of politics would not attempt to make that comparison. If you are trying to say Obama hadn't accomplished anything in his time in Illinois, etc that means you have not bothered to conduct even the most rudimentary look into it.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong

I think that you are confusing the powers and abilities of a governor and a state representative or U.S. senator.

The items that I believe you are referring to when referencing Jindal are things that, as the state's executive, he has more control and influence over. Couple the fact that the reform that he helped push through was some pretty common sense stuff and was being demanded by the constituency..... Also remember that not all of the things that he wanted to get passed did get passed and the ethics reform that he did get passed, his campaign actually had violated and he paid a fine for doing so. ;)

That was an error on Jindals staff's part that they self-reported and voluntarily paid the fine for it. Compare that to Obama's Rezco ties - "Oh, it was only $50k". During investigation proceedings it turns out to be more. "Oh, it was really around 150k or more".

And yes, Governor's do wield alot of power but so do Senators. Obama complained about the level of supplies making it to the troops in Afghanistan in a debate recently. In all his time sitting in the Senate, did he do anything about this? Introduce any legislation, resolutions, investigations?

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
Originally posted by: Rockinacoustic

Yes he can. We're just waiting for it to surface. The best argument against him to date has been that he's associated with someone who has serious issues with America. Obama served a number of years at a state level before he came to the Senate. If in that time he was seen to let this kind of talk affect his personal beliefs, would not Fox or Rush have searched for them? Yet they remain curiously quiet in that regard.

Personally I think it past time he addressed the racial issues in this contest. He's been trying to take the high road and not talk in terms of race, but the country as a whole. It was prudent to discuss this and speak plainly. That he did well cannot be held against him.

He is running on his judgment. Choosing to have close relationships with people like Rev. Wright and Tony Rezko for decades and later feign ignorance about their actions or words shows incredibly bad judgment.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

You know what happens when white people preach hate? They get embraced and celebrated for it. Jerry Fallwell said that the homos were partly responsible for 9/11... and yet there's John McCain giving a commencement speech at his university. John Hagee says that New Orleans was destroyed by god because of a gay parade there... and he's right up on stage with McCain shaking his hand. Pat Robertson says Asians look like white people with too much plastic surgery and then sits there like an asshole doing the china-man slanty eye thing. Yet he's invited to speak at the Republican Convention.

So, that's what happens when white people say these sorts of stupid and hateful things. They get an invitation to join John McCain on the campaign trail.