Obama's other race speech

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Biff, I also think you are confused. What I did was make a mistake in posting what I did. I was not trying to play that off as a joke. I was making a joke of myself by mentioning my ineptitude at playing the race card and blaming it on my being white.

The digging you keep talking about? Check your hands, the shovel you're looking for is right there...

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Biff, I also think you are confused. What I did was make a mistake in posting what I did. I was not trying to play that off as a joke. I was making a joke of myself by mentioning my ineptitude at playing the race card and blaming it on my being white.

The digging you keep talking about? Check your hands, the shovel you're looking for is right there...

You keep trying to explain yourself after posting garbage in between the OP and the explanation. This does not bode well for your credibility.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Show me one that has parent(s) from another nation. Wishing someone back to their family's country of origin is hardly racist.

But then again, everything is due to racism in the warped mind of a liberal. Seeing this now, since you bring up color rather than nationality, which is all I have been talking about.

Also, I changed my post before your last reply.

Mitt Romney's dad was born in Mexico...

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011

So? George Romney was an American born to American parents living in Mexico. His parents weren't Mexican citizens.

Also, I wasn't around during his farther's days as governor of Michigan so I can't say one way or the other whether people wished George Romney back to Mexico. Even if they had, it still wouldn't have been racist, just stupid.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
So, according to the OP, the content of the speech is not as important as how he said it? Or is it because he mentioned the bias in how the federal government treated the different disasters? Or is it because he mentioned his pastor?

I think what he's trying to say is, "I'm a mindless fool who watched the video trying desperately to see what Conservative Talk told me to see because it would make me feel better about my worthless self. My filtering was successful! Yay, I be so smarts and be so glad I be on da bandwagon!"

Feb 10, 2000

Indeed.

In my opinion the sentiment of sending the President "back to Kenya" reflects two notions, both of which are wrongheaded: first, that the President is a Kenyan rather than an American, and second, that it's appropriate to "send him back to Africa."

I personally would consider the latter sentiment racist since there was not, and never would be, any discussion of sending a white politician back to the European nation from whence his family came (Romney's family is not Mexican - if memory serves his grandfather moved there because American laws prohibited polygamy). I agree that is a legitimate topic of dispute, however.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
So? George Romney was an American born to American parents living in Mexico. His parents weren't Mexican citizens.

Also, I wasn't around during his farther's days as governor of Michigan so I can't say one way or the other whether people wished George Romney back to Mexico. Even if they had, it still wouldn't have been racist, just stupid.

The crux of your argument is basically, I'm not sure why they do it, but it's not racist? You have to be smarter than that. There is no rational in that defense.

Btw. I'm African. I've heard it before many times. And it wasn't people smiling at me me wishing me safe journeys home. It was people telling me my kind wasn't welcome in this country and I should leave,

Racism is a pox on our country, but those who lay cover for it. Worse in my book.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
The crux of your argument is basically, I'm not sure why they do it, but it's not racist? You have to be smarter than that. There is no rational in that defense.

Btw. I'm African. I've heard it before many times. And it wasn't people smiling at me me wishing me safe journeys home. It was people telling me my kind was welcome in this country and I should leave,

Racism is a pox on our country, but those who lay cover for it. Worse in my book.

How can it be racism when race isn't in question? Like I said, everything is racists with you liberals. You'll go through any sort of mental gymnastics to make it about race. You even brought up color in this discussion when I was talking just about nationality. Wishing that someone go back from where they came is hardly racists. Its idiotic and petulant, but hardly racist.

But I am guess that the American colonists who wished the other colonists who were still loyal to the crown to go back to England were racists. Oh wait, they couldn't have been according to some other morons in here. They were white Europeans after all. Who's the racist now?

Feb 10, 2000
How can it be racism when race isn't in question? Like I said, everything is racists with you liberals. You'll go through any sort of mental gymnastics to make it about race. You even brought up color in this discussion when I was talking just about nationality. Wishing that someone go back from where they came is hardly racists. Its idiotic and petulant, but hardly racist.

But I am guess that the American colonists who wished the other colonists who were still loyal to the crown to go back to England were racists. Oh wait, they couldn't have been according to some other morons in here. They were white Europeans after all. Who's the racist now?

I guess it's possible for someone to suspend disbelief to this extent, but I find it very difficult to understand how.

The President is not from Kenya. They didn't say he should go back to Hawaii (where he is from).

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005

However they were from england, Obama is not from Kenya.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Like I said, everything is racists with you liberals. You'll go through any sort of mental gymnastics to make it about race.

Have you ever heard about an event in recent times (within the last 30 years) with a non-white victim and thought "yes, that's definitely racism" or seen someone who is non-white and thought "they were a victim of racism"?

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
lol. It was. By the same guy who is reporting on it now, Tucker Carlson. Nobody cared. You can really detect the stench of desperation when the lunatic fringe is recycling 4 year old clips that nobody cared about the first time.

You should actually go listen to the speech instead of wasting your life watching Sean Hannity, btw. My favorite part of your post though is how Hannity and Carlson had a whole show about how Obama is talking too black and then your takeaway from that is that Obama is the one race baiting.

EDIT: All from the people who constantly shriek about the 'race card' any time someone might deign to mention that criticism of Obama might have to do with race. Your cognitive dissonance is impressive.
perfect post

why was this ignored?

the release of this video AGAIN is so transparently desperate from the echo chamber.

they must really want Romney to win. Seems a bit self defeating considering another 4 years of Obama would be good fodder for the right wing echo chamber. shrug.

It was a good video clip (from the perspective of the right)

1. They get to remind people of how black Obama is
2. Rev Wright's name gets to get back out there in the media

thats a good combo to stoke the outrage of the right sheeple. The strategy here is to abandon rational voters and get the apathetic republicans all fired up!

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
I guess it's possible for someone to suspend disbelief to this extent, but I find it very difficult to understand how.

The President is not from Kenya. They didn't say he should go back to Hawaii (where he is from).

Coming from someone who has no issue with telling Americans of European decent to go back to a European nation but has issue with telling Americans of African decent to go back to Kenya because its racist I am not surprised.

Those same Americans who you have no problem people telling them to go back to Europe aren't from there either. But in Obama's case it is wrong and racist.

Unless of course, you think there is an issue with telling those other American to go back to Europe instead of the state they were born?

Either way, none of it is racist.

Last edited:

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Not if they were born here. I said American colonists. Not English colonists.

What? Xbiff, you're all over the place. Your argument is weak and you've resorted to throwing ish to the wall and hoping something sticks. You're sinking deeper and deeper in your own bullshit.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
perfect post

why was this ignored?

I've noticed this behavior recently, though looking back further it was there, I just didn't recognize it. Basically people are more interested in trolling their own threads than having a productive discussion. Even people trying to call out trolls spend more time doing that than addressing posts of value and consequence.

It does seem to be a short list of people do this though... so maybe more of them will just come to be ignored and relegated to dealing with that lack of attention.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
What? Xbiff, you're all over the place. Your argument is weak and you've resorted to throwing ish to the wall and hoping something sticks. You're sinking deeper and deeper in your own bullshit.

How? American colonists wishing other colonists go back to England isn't racist. It's this exactly the same as wishing Obama go back to Kenya. But somehow that is racist. The American colonists (not English colonists) are from American (born here) exactly the same as Obama. In both cases, someone is wishing they would go back to the country of their ancestors.

Unless you are now saying it was racists to wish those colonists go back to England? Okay, back that one up.

Last edited:

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
The Daily Caller’s Tucker Carlson, an expert on blackness said of the video, “Let me just be totally clear for anyone who just watched it and who has seen Obama speak in public over the last ten years will note, this accent is absurd. This is not the way Obama talks — at least it’s not the way he’s talked in the dozens, the scores of speeches I’ve watched him give, or public appearances I’ve seen him make. This is a put-on. This is phony. That’s issue one. The second issue is he is telling a predominantly black audience something very clear: The federal government doesn’t like you because you are black.”

Tucker Carlson (blackness expert) :p

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Clearly, only white people are victims of racism. Everyone else is making sh!t up.

:rolleyes:

So I'll ask my question again: Have you ever heard about a situation in the last 30 years in which the victim was non-white and thought "yes, that's an example of racism"?

I'm not entirely sure what's worse; saying everything is racism or denying anything is racism.

Feb 10, 2000
Coming from someone who has no issue with telling Americans of European decent to go back to a European nation but has issue with telling Americans of African decent to go back to Kenya because its racist I am not surprised.

Those same Americans who you have no problem people telling them to go back to Europe aren't from there either. But in Obama's case it is wrong and racist.

Unless of course, you think there is an issue with telling those other American to go back to Europe instead of the state they were born?

Either way, none of it is racist.

Where are you getting that from? I never said any such thing.

Obviously the salient difference is that Americans of European descent are not, in the common parlance, minorities. They have held the overwhelming majority of political control and wealth throughout our nation's history, and have not been the victims of any meaningful discrimination as a result of their race. Moreover (to the extent it matters), white people of European descent are, in almost all cases, the descendents of free people who chose to come to the United States, whereas the majority of black people are the descendents of slaves who were brought here against their will, as the property of white people.

Telling a white person to go back to Europe is essentially a meaningless statement. Telling a black person to go back to Africa is essentially (in most cases) expressing a racist sentiment toward black people.

As I said initially, I'm not saying reasonable people can't disagree on this, but for you to act as though my interpretation is one you literally can't understand makes you, if viewed charitably, opaque, and, if viewed less charitably, stupid.

Feb 10, 2000
I'm not entirely sure what's worse; saying everything is racism or denying anything is racism.

That is an interesting question. I would personally argue that, when it comes specifically to African-American people, they have been more harmed during my lifetime by self-appointed "civil rights leaders" teaching them that all their problems arise from racism, than from actual racism. That being said, I think it's intolerable to allow people to act and speak in a racist way without being called out on it, because the reduction of racism is a necessary part of our evolution toward a more civil and healthy culture.

Last edited:

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
That is an interesting question. I would personally argue that, when it comes specifically to African-American people, they have been more harmed during my lifetime by self-appointed "civil rights leaders" teaching them that all their problems arise from racism, than from actual racism. That being said, I think it's intolerable to allow people to act and speak in a racist way without being called out on it, because the reduction of racism is a necessary part of our evolution toward a more civil and healthy culture.

Racism exists, against all colors (but you'd never know that by reading the responses in this thread). I'm just sick and tired of all the distractions; someone says something is racism when it isn't and, conversely, someone denies something is racism when it actually is.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Obama had a point about New Orleans actually...

Accent? It sounds just like him from the campaign, I'm really mind boggled as to that accusation.

Everyone knew he always supported Wright.