Obama's legacy so far (2008-2013)

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Pro:
Obamacare

Con:
The guy who started the $Trillion$ per year deficits. :mad:
under gw bush, it was only ~500B/yr (largest in US history till Obama took office).

you know its bad when you saw what Bush was doing, and one ups him by doubling the record :(

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Pro:
Obamacare

Con:
The guy who started the $Trillion$ per year deficits. :mad:
under gw bush, it was only ~500B/yr (largest in US history till Obama took office).

you know its bad when you saw what Bush was doing, and one ups him by doubling the record :(

Your information on the deficit is inaccurate. The CBO estimated a deficit of $1.2 trillion for 2009 before Obama even took office.

More importantly though, big deficits were exactly the right thing to do from an economic perspective. We needed larger ones than we had, but politics got in the way.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Democrats have a legitimate point that the 2009 budget was planned under Bush. Even if Obama signed off on it and implemented it. The President made no difference regarding how large the deficit was that year.

The real issue with trillion dollar deficits is their continuation. We have social programs to pay for, or expand, but before we even do that we're still skyrocketing our debt. Our financial situation is an untenable quagmire.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
hahahaha

Anyone who starts with obummercare as their main "pro" is obviously a miserable failure. His legacy is that of a miserable failure cheered on by millions of delusional followers.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Pro: Proved that demotards have no idea how to do anything without FUBARing it

Cons: FUBARd everything

EDIT:

I want to add one honest pro that people keep forgetting: He has been awarding the Medal Of Honor to living recipients. This is a great thing to do and he should be commended for it.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Yes, 2009 was Bush, but that was one time emergency spending. It was not supposed to be the new status quo.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yes, 2009 was Bush, but that was one time emergency spending. It was not supposed to be the new status quo.

Of course it was supposed to be the new status quo. The overwhelming majority of the deficits in 2010 to present came from legislation that was on the books long before Obama came into office. Unless you meant that we had previously passed laws we never intended to be implemented, of course.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Of course it was supposed to be the new status quo. The overwhelming majority of the deficits in 2010 to present came from legislation that was on the books long before Obama came into office. Unless you meant that we had previously passed laws we never intended to be implemented, of course.

so does that mean we can blame 2021's budget problems on Obama?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

What legislation was that?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Pro:
Nothing

Cons:
Killing US citizens without due process
Affordable health care act
Signed NDAA
More free trade agreements
Spending too much time on vacation
Easing sanctions on Iran
Allowing iran to import smart phones
Not closing gitmo
Turning back on isreal
Giving military equipment to egypt
Killing bin laden without bringing him to trial
Using children as props to promote gun control
Not enforcing immigration law
Suing states who enforce immigration law
17+ trillion national debt
Delaying the employer mandate of the aca
Bowing to king abdullah of saudi arabia

Honestly, I can not think of a single thing obama has done that I approve of.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
What legislation was that?

They are things such as food stamps, welfare, unemployment insurance, etc, etc.

In 2010, for example, the CBO estimated that automatic stabilizers and revenue reductions alone accounted for close to $500 billion of the deficit. Add in 'one time' expenditures like the ARRA and suddenly we have deficits that are right about the same level as Bush's without 'one time' expenditures.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Pro: gun and ammo sales have never been higher

Con: murdered American citizens for killing American soldiers

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
They are things such as food stamps, welfare, unemployment insurance, etc, etc.

In 2010, for example, the CBO estimated that automatic stabilizers and revenue reductions alone accounted for close to $500 billion of the deficit. Add in 'one time' expenditures like the ARRA and suddenly we have deficits that are right about the same level as Bush's without 'one time' expenditures.

So is Obama unpatriotic? Is he unamerican?

After all, he said that Bush was those things because the debt went up $4 trillion in 8 years. Now its gone up another $7 trillion in 6 years.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So is Obama unpatriotic? Is he unamerican?

After all, he said that Bush was those things because the debt went up $4 trillion in 8 years. Now its gone up another $7 trillion in 6 years.

Nope. Bushs economic policies were just a bad idea as he was running up deficits during prosperous times. Running up deficits during bad economic times is exactly what should be done.

Why would you want to equate the two?

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Nope. Bushs economic policies were just a bad idea as he was running up deficits during prosperous times. Running up deficits during bad economic times is exactly what should be done.

And these were policies that he used executive order to create? Right? He bypassed the demotard congress to get those policies through?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Running up deficits during bad economic times is exactly what should be done.

Historically that may have been the thing to do, but the middle class is dying.

How are we supposed to pay off the national debt when college graduates can not find a job.

Huh? What are you talking about specifically?

Extending the employer mandate under the ACA when the law requires the approval of congress.

Last edited:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
How are we supposed to pay off the national debt when college graduates can not find a job.

Don't bring logic into this, eskimo is the guy who firmly believes spending within your means causes deficits. Down is up, up is down, deficits are good, controlling spending is bad, accountability is bad, living on the government dime is good.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Historically that may have been the thing to do, but the middle class is dying.

Non sequitur.

Extending the employer mandate under the ACA when the law requires the approval of congress.

I wasn't asking you and that doesn't relate to the national debt.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Don't bring logic into this, eskimo is the guy who firmly believes spending within your means causes deficits. Down is up, up is down, deficits are good, controlling spending is bad, accountability is bad, living on the government dime is good.

I'm sorry if you don't like what the economics literature says. I understand that information that tells you things you don't want to hear can be frightening.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
And these were policies that he used executive order to create? Right? He bypassed the demotard congress to get those policies through?

You are aware that half of Bush's entire Presidency was with a full Republican Congress right?

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I'm sorry if you don't like what the economics literature says. I understand that information that tells you things you don't want to hear can be frightening.

this is gonna be good....

What economics literature should I look into?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010

I suspect eskimospy will be posting insults by the middle of page 2. That is what he does when he is losing the debate.

I wasn't asking you and that doesn't relate to the national debt.

You asked about policies and executive orders and asked for a specific example.

I gave you a specific example of when obama bypassed congress.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
You are aware that half of Bush's entire Presidency was with a full Republican Congress right?
At no point did he have a supermajority like the bummer did, at no point was he able to get things through congress without any democrat support at all. Sorry, the dims are complicit in the stupidity that happened.