Obamacare vs. ACA

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Saw this and felt compelled to share.

Some might wonder why they are derided when they present their opinions or ideas on a given subject. This is a good example of how you end up with all the egg on your face and why other people think you might be a goddamn moron.

Not that anyone here would wind up looking like this anonymous poster... but you know... just in case.

A5V7svI.png

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
It's hard to believe there are Americans that are this clueless and strident at the same time.

Or maybe not.

Jesus wept.

EduCat

Feb 28, 2012
I'd say 50% of people working IN HEALTHCARE can't even grasp this concept. I ran a social media campaign for a fairly large insurance provider and lol what a shit show it was with the comments.

Just get rid of the stupid $700 charge and make sure employers can't fuck over employees and we are still headed way in the right direction. Next step would be to regulate insurance companies hardcore and get this shit in order.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I'd say 50% of people working IN HEALTHCARE can't even grasp this concept. I ran a social media campaign for a fairly large insurance provider and lol what a shit show it was with the comments.

Just get rid of the stupid $700 charge and make sure employers can't fuck over employees and we are still headed way in the right direction. Next step would be to regulate insurance companies hardcore and get this shit in order.

I'd like to see a systematic apolitical statistic for health care workers on your claim, whatever that may be. What are you talking about anyway? Is the criteria that if one does not thing the ACA is what's needed are they not getting it? Clearly anyone who things insurance companies are the cause of costs don't get it. Profits are limited by law.

You can bring down costs for sure, but how matters. Like a guy from British Columbia just deny access to technologies and ration treatment. You can be like him and wait three years for a hernia repair.

Probably not the best way to approach things.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Profits are limited by law.
This was and remains a terrible idea. With profits fixed at a percentage of benefits paid, once you've streamlined your business processes sufficiently to hit the profit limit, the easiest way to increase profits is to… seek increased medical costs.

Edit: I suppose you could try to increase market share but that brings on additional internal costs.

Reactions: MongGrel

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Had a family member relate a similar story. He's a volunteer fireman and a couple of other fireman were happy Trump got elected.

He mentioned to one of the Trump supporters that he was surprised he was so happy since he had Obamacare. The guy was like no I have the ACA. :rolleyes:

The second trump supporter had a child receiving title one support for schooling which may also be cut. That guy didn't know that either.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Had a family member relate a similar story. He's a volunteer fireman and a couple of other fireman were happy Trump got elected.

He mentioned to one of the Trump supporters that he was surprised he was so happy since he had Obamacare. The guy was like no I have the ACA. :rolleyes:

The second trump supporter had a child receiving title one support for schooling which may also be cut. That guy didn't know that either.

This is true across the political spectrum. People vote based on feelings, not on policy. Will Trump's policies hurt the middle class? Almost certainly. I mean one of his only substantive proposals is to massively cut taxes for the ultra rich. Do his voters care? Not even slightly. The common theme among Trump voters when confronted with his actual policy proposals is that they simply don't believe he would actually do them. It's all about affect, nothing about policy.

I mean roughly half the country has voted for Republicans for who knows how long despite the fact that they have been a party that is explicitly about giving more money to the rich for at least the last 40 years. Considering that mathematically half the country can't be rich (or else it wouldn't be considered rich) that should tell you pretty clearly that people don't give a shit about policy.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
The best part of the joke is that they have no intention of replacing ACA - in their zeal to remove anything positive from the Obama era they are locked into destroying it all...

Hope the rubes that voted for Trump enjoy losing their healthcare. God help those that didn't.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
This is true across the political spectrum. People vote based on feelings, not on policy. Will Trump's policies hurt the middle class? Almost certainly. I mean one of his only substantive proposals is to massively cut taxes for the ultra rich. Do his voters care? Not even slightly. The common theme among Trump voters when confronted with his actual policy proposals is that they simply don't believe he would actually do them. It's all about affect, nothing about policy.

I mean roughly half the country has voted for Republicans for who knows how long despite the fact that they have been a party that is explicitly about giving more money to the rich for at least the last 40 years. Considering that mathematically half the country can't be rich (or else it wouldn't be considered rich) that should tell you pretty clearly that people don't give a shit about policy.

You're absolutely right about the taxes.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox...ll_hand_a_nauseating_tax_cut_to_the_rich.html
If Republicans have their way and successfully repeal the Affordable Care Act, those two taxes will be toast—which will mean a substantial break for some of the country's wealthiest families. The liberal Center on Budget and Policy Priorities estimates that millionaires would see 80 percent of the benefits from those tax reductions. Based on the most recent IRS data, the think tank roughly projects that the 400 highest income households—which earned an average of more than $300 million each in 2014—would see a $2.8 billion annual tax cut, worth about $7 million on average per filer. To put that in some perspective, that's a smidge more than Obamacare is set to spend on insurance premium tax credits in the 20 smallest states and the District of Columbia.

Anyway it's disappointing how many people don't understand what they were voting for.

There's many reasons.

For some they vote a party because that's who their parents voted for. For others it's ideological. This year a lot of it was voting against the other candidate.

Finally, for a lot people, (many of them
In P&N), it was to see their cultural or political opponents hurt. Throw granny in the gas chamber as long as It scores points against the other side.

Last edited:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Dems are trying to catch up. Look at the polls of how many think Russia hacked the voting machines. I think its over 50% if I remember correctly.

I would ask you if these polls are scientific or just web polls but it doesn't really matter.

If Hillary had won I would have said evidence, facts and truth mattered. She didn't. Lies, innuendo, and fake news mattered. You can't expect that these weapons will only be used by one side.

To some Hillary will always be crooked despite never having been prosecuted nor any evidence showing she should have been.

To some Obama will always be a Kenyan Muslim despite his birth certificate and the church he attends.

Now Trump will always be known as being a puppet to Russia to some people despite most evidence being currently circumstantial.

It's a brave new world.

Last edited:
Reactions: nickqt and MongGrel

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I would ask you if these polls are scientific or just web polls but it doesn't really matter.

If Hillary had won I would have said evidence, facts and truth mattered. She didn't. Lies, innuendo, and fake news mattered. You can't expect that these weapons will only be used by one side.

To some Hillary will always be crooked despite never having been prosecuted nor any evidence showing she should have been.

To some Obama will always be a Kenyan Muslim despite his birth certificate and the church he attends.

Now Trump will always be known as being a puppet to Russia to some people despite most evidence being currently circumstantial.

It's a brave new world.

For a long time the crazies have been on the right. Melineals are going to change that, and make both sides stupid. My gen has a bad habit of wanting to believe so much that they convince themselves of anything.

The right is the religious party and have no problem believing things without facts. The right has started down that same path. You have seen this type of thing with your climate change discussions. Hopefully the left can get back on track. I would rather have both parties be reasonable but I'll settle for one.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
My premiums doubled from 2010 to 2014, so repeal means my premiums will be cut in half, right?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Be careful OP, you should use a trigger warning for the Birthers, Benghazos, Shillaries, Obummers, Climategaters, Flat Earth Society and all the other fragile folks who can't ever admit being wrong. They don't appreciate being called out on stupidity.

Reactions: jackstar7