Obama v. Biden

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
I don't understand, Biden is freakin awesome, how could anybody call him a douchebag? If anything he's an awesome douchebag.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: 351Cleveland
I make no comment on the current administration or any previous... but for all the stink made about Palin asking Charlie Gibson (quite defiantly... almost mockingly) the definition of the "Bush Doctrine" (a made-up media term), this guy cant go 2 sentences without glaring gaffes or contradicting his running mate.

Almost mockingly? Try 'desperately scrambling to get Gibson to tell her what it was, stalling'. Cornered, she blundered: 'it represents his views'. She could not stand to say she did not know - if you were right, she would not look bad for saying so, what looks bad is her dishonestly pretending she did know.

If I asked you what the Flurt doctrine is, you would be fine to say, "the what?", but if you said you had a strong opinion on it, when you had no idea what it was, that's bad.

As for it being a 'made up media term', so is 'Watergate', but if you don't know what it is, you aren't too well informed. Given how many defended her by pointing out that the term was defined for candidates in the primary debates, they don't seem to realize the implication is that she did not watch the debates. If you were right that it's an obscure term, she should have stuck to making him define the term. Instead she tried to deceive viewers.

-Forced down in Afghanistan and can tell you where Al Qaeda is... he was forced down due to a snow storm per John Kerry

Uh... ya? Don't see a gaffe there, and isn't it pretty well agreed where Al Queda is?

-Obama supports the use of clean coal... Biden denounced clean coal the other day

Gee, they don't agree on everything. Remember George H. W. Bush calling Reagan's entire economic message "voodoo economics" - then becoming his running mate?

-Tells a man in a wheel chair to stand up (more humorous than anything... that's just bad prep work on part of his staff).

A man he clearly did not know, saying it as he looked at the speech for the name, and he recovered very well, walking out and shaking his hand, and a self-deprecating comment.

But the fact it made your list suggests it's a pretty sparse list. And no, it wasn't 'bad prep work', his staff doens't need to anticipate his 'stand up' off the cuff comment.

It's just something that's not a big issue. It happens. If the event had been entirely about honoring that person, that would be something else.

-Obama criticized McCain's take on the bailout... when his running mate AGREED with McCain... had to denounce him.

He criticized McCain for flip floppiing, not Biden. He did not 'denounce' Biden, he did disagree with him and say he 'should have waited'. Gee, they don't agree on everything.

-Biden critical of McCain-email add... until his handlers got to him.

Biden has especially high bar for not attacking, and gee, they don't agree on everything. I don't agree with Biden on that, but so what? It's not a major issue.

-Television in 1929? FDR was president in 1929?

You just had a gaffe, saying Biden said 1929, but he didn't. Already addressed above, he meant radio and said tv, and was referring to the period while the market was crashed.

-Gotta have an Indian accent to go into a 7-11

A lot of 7-11 workers have Indian accents. Oh, the scandal. The question is, was it some sort of subtle racist attack, does he have racist policies? No.

-Hillary would be a better VP candidate?

So, he flatters a friend whose supporters they are losing too many of to McCain. What a blunder.

-Has he plagaraized anything lately?

Apparently not in over 20 years, since there are likely people checking closely, and he did admit the mistake that long ago. Wow you got him good.

I mean I could go on, but you wouldnt enjoy it

Oh, I would.

If you had anything substantive I'd like to hear it, but you would actually post things even weaker, and that'd be entertaining.

and I have to do work... damn capitalist pigs are expecting me to EARN my ridiculous corporate salary :) I dont post this to change your mind...

If there were more there, I'd change my mind. I've always said Biden is a bit of a 'loose cannon' verbally and that he makes some gaffes.

But I look more at his policies - who he represents, which is more the 'average American'.

most P&N junkies are cemented in their positions. I just point it out for our mutual entertainment :)

We agree there's too much cement - but there are good and bad reasons for holding a strong opinion. Because it's well-informed is one thing, blind partisanship is another.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I love Biden, said this weeks ago. The man is great for providing material like this.

Nov 30, 2006
Interesting, the human gaffe machine is at it again:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/...n_history.html?showall

"When the stock market crashed, Franklin Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the princes of greed," Biden told Couric. "He said, 'Look, here's what happened.'"

Umm... who had a TV in 1929? Nevermind that Hoover was the President when the stock market crashed...
Now...if Palin would have said that instead of Biden...80% of the Left here at P&N would have gone bonkers. Am I wrong?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Doc Savage Fan

"When the stock market crashed, Franklin Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the princes of greed," Biden told Couric. "He said, 'Look, here's what happened.'"

Umm... who had a TV in 1929? Nevermind that Hoover was the President when the stock market crashed...
Now...if Palin would have said that instead of Biden...80% of the Left here at P&N would have gone bonkers. Am I wrong?

As would have been totally reasonable and rational.

If someone has a lot of expertise or experience in an area and they make a mistake, the mistake is usually ignored because of the large amount of information that shows they do in fact know what they are talking about. If someone has very little expertise or experience in an area they do not get the same pass as the other person because of this lack of counterbalancing information.

This is why McCain can mix up Sunni/Shia all day and pay a relatively small price for it due to his perceived foreign policy strength and if Obama were to make the same mistake he would be hit hard for it. What's the mystery?

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Genx87

I love Biden, said this weeks ago. The man is great for providing material like this.

So, he mis-spoke and referred to the existing national broadcast medium as "TV," instead of "radio."

As opposed to the rambling biddy who continues to repeat stupid things like, "I said thanks but no thanks to the bridge to nowhere."

Was Biden's gaffe amusing? Yes. Was it relevant? Hardly. :roll:

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
It's just more proof that Biden is completely against the ideals of Obama's campaign.

Why did he accept the VP slot again? Geez... :confused:

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: jonks
but for all the stink made about Palin asking Charlie Gibson (quite defiantly... almost mockingly) the definition of the "Bush Doctrine" (a made-up media term)

This is so fail it's hard to comprehend.

1) she wasn't being defiant or mocking [and if that's what you saw, you really need to rewatch it sober], she was confused as shit. "You mean his world-view charlie? (please say yes please say yes! what's the Bush Doctrine???)"

2) a made up media term that has been widely used in national and international politics by politicians, the media, and anyone else as a shorthand for bush's foreign policy for, oh, the last 7 years? that doctrine that the experienced commander of the alaska nat'l guard had never heard of? the one referred to in 2002 by Ireland, UK, Germany, Canada, Japan, and France? that bush doctrine?

That isnt how I read it. Call me a drunk if you want. Doesnt change my perception of it. I thought she would go into that interview kinda of bitchy... she jsut got smeared everywhere in her first few days out of the shoot by the MSM... I didnt expect she would bake them cookies. Everytime she said "Charlie," it sounded like a school teacher scolding a child... at least to me.

Not the poinit. Biden is known for his gaffes. Let's all enjoy them :)

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Craig234
We agree there's too much cement - but there are good and bad reasons for holding a strong opinion. Because it's well-informed is one thing, blind partisanship is another.

You will ahve to excuse me if I dont respond point by point. I wasnt getting into a debate on his qualifications... merely his lack of verbal discipline as it pertains to my entertainment.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: manowar821
Eh, maybe Biden can go F himself and leave the VP slot for someone worthy of it, hes a douche-bag.

Your post contributes no content. I can't tell if you have reasons for your name calling or if it's just something you picked up by being identified with one yourself. You should put some thought into your post so readers don't get the wrong idea.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: winnar111
Hmm, Biden must be thinking that he's gonna be running the show.

You Republicans are never going to let a VP run the show, gotta give you that.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

You will ahve to excuse me if I dont respond point by point. I wasnt getting into a debate on his qualifications... merely his lack of verbal discipline as it pertains to my entertainment.

Well, we don't disagree there. I hope you have more for your vote determination though.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: Doc Savage Fan

As would have been totally reasonable and rational.

If someone has a lot of expertise or experience in an area and they make a mistake, the mistake is usually ignored because of the large amount of information that shows they do in fact know what they are talking about. If someone has very little expertise or experience in an area they do not get the same pass as the other person because of this lack of counterbalancing information.

This is why McCain can mix up Sunni/Shia all day and pay a relatively small price for it due to his perceived foreign policy strength and if Obama were to make the same mistake he would be hit hard for it. What's the mystery?

This highly insightful question can be applied across many areas. This is the kind of thinking that keeps the mind open and harder to program. I approve of this kind reasoning.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: manowar821
Eh, maybe Biden can go F himself and leave the VP slot for someone worthy of it, hes a douche-bag.

Your post contributes no content. I can't tell if you have reasons for your name calling or if it's just something you picked up by being identified with one yourself. You should put some thought into your post so readers don't get the wrong idea.

He's not a social liberal, and he's an authoritarian. I don't want to see what he'll do as VP.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10024163-38.html

Edit: In other words, I don't compromise when it comes to personal rights and privacy, ever.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Yes, he meant radio - and pretty clearly meant in the period FDR was president while the stock market was still crashed.

Now how about his larger point on the leadership FDR provided in contrast to the current leadership, or is his mistaking tv and radio the only thing you have interest in?

Buahahahahaha!!1

Extra "grapey" today is it?

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
As for it being a 'made up media term', so is 'Watergate'...
And here I always thought Watergate was the name of a hotel/office complex in Washington, D.C.

Originally posted by: lupi
At least he wasn't drunk this time.
Maybe he should have been. ;)
Good old lupi; always trying to elevate the discussion.

FWIW; I remember reading about another vice-presidential candidate with a penchant for running his mouth in public, going off-message and committing numerous gaffes on the campaign trail.

Should FDR have dumped Harry Truman?

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001

Mr. P (plagiarism)/ Gaffe King on the roll again! WTF! Will he ever learn? Geez.