Obama trades one, for five Gitmo

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This is a politics and news site, so I'm looking at this with political gogles on. I just don't get it. Was the timing of this to showcase that the war in Afganistan is over? Is this Obama showing what a great humanitarian he is?

Sure seems strange to go out of the way to inflame the righties with little political benefit for his own side.

Who was this soldier really?

The whole thing is odd.

The US must try to get each and every POW the enemy takes back, no matter what he's done. If he's committed offenses that he should be punished for then our courts will decide that. You don't just leave a guy imprisoned by the enemy.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The US must try to get each and every POW the enemy takes back, no matter what he's done. If he's committed offenses that he should be punished for then our courts will decide that. You don't just leave a guy imprisoned by the enemy.

It makes me feel dirty when we agree on something but you are right about this.

We bring them all home, whether its to a ticker tape parade or to Ft Leavenworth.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
I still think there's more to Bergdahl's story that was has been told. Deserters normally don't get promotions much less twice with yet another pending promotion this month.

I believe they get automatic promotions based on time in service, and since they couldn't prove he had deserted, he kept getting them.

Its weird that John McCain of all people seems to have an issue with a POW being released. Maybe Bowe didn't crash enough planes.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I still think there's more to Bergdahl's story that was has been told. Deserters normally don't get promotions much less twice with yet another pending promotion this month.

... not to mention the gag orders the rest of his unit had to sign after he deserted etc. Looks like there's more to this story, but I find it hard to believe that we can justify letting go of 5 terrorists to a here's welcome among their vermin friends just to get back a deserter who is being accused of siding with the enemy by some of the others in his unit.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I believe they get automatic promotions based on time in service, and since they couldn't prove he had deserted, he kept getting them.

Its weird that John McCain of all people seems to have an issue with a POW being released. Maybe Bowe didn't crash enough planes.

I'm pretty sure McCain would have pilloried him either way. This seems like a no-win situation as this guy seems to be kind of a dirt bag.

Either you don't do anything and get attacked for abandoning a soldier or you do something and get attacked for sacrificing for a scumbag. If you're going to get attacked either way the best thing to do is do the right thing.

If this guy is the dirtbag that he is accused of being then it should be us that sends him up the river. You don't outsource your justice to the enemy.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
From all accounts thus far, the guy wasn't a POW. He deserted and joined the Taliban. These details aren't confirmed and is still speculation at this point, but it very well could be that he then used his status as a missing soldier to get his Taliban buddies released.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
We bring them all home, whether its to a ticker tape parade or to Ft Leavenworth.

That seems kind of stupid. Trade 5 high level prisoners for one low level traitor whom may never end up even being prosecuted (because doing so would show how badly the administration screwed up)? Again, details not confirmed yet but it still seems very fishy.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That seems kind of stupid. Trade 5 high level prisoners for one low level traitor whom may never end up even being prosecuted (because doing so would show how badly the administration screwed up)? Again, details not confirmed yet but it still seems very fishy.

Israel released more than 1,000 prisoners who were collectively responsible for more than 500 deaths in exchange for Gilad Shalit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilad_Shalit_prisoner_exchange

Do you think there was something fishy going on there? Perhaps something approximately 200 times as fishy?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
This is a politics and news site, so I'm looking at this with political gogles on. I just don't get it. Was the timing of this to showcase that the war in Afganistan is over? Is this Obama showing what a great humanitarian he is?

Sure seems strange to go out of the way to inflame the righties with little political benefit for his own side.

Who was this soldier really?

The whole thing is odd.
You have to remember that the righties are going to get inflamed no matter what Obama does. If the deal had fallen through the righties would be criticizing him for not getting it done for our soldier.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Sounds just like the way the left was when Bush was in office and for that matter since he left office. No matter what he does it will always be wrong.

I think Bush did a number of good things while in office, he just did a lot of bad ones too.

It's hard to look at Bush as anything other than a colossal failure considering that during his presidency he had the largest terrorist attack in US history, engaged the country in two ruinous wars, and ended it with the worst economic calamity in generations. All in only eight years.

That's pretty bad.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Sounds just like the way the left was when Bush was in office and for that matter since he left office. No matter what he does it will always be wrong.
Yes, I'm well aware that most of the Obama hate is sour grapes. Problem is, your sour grapes are impeding progress.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Israel released more than 1,000 prisoners who were collectively responsible for more than 500 deaths in exchange for Gilad Shalit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilad_Shalit_prisoner_exchange

Do you think there was something fishy going on there? Perhaps something approximately 200 times as fishy?

The prisoner release is a separate, debatable issue. The scandal here is that we traded prisoners for a deserter and potentially traitor who may have been in on the whole thing.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The prisoner release is a separate, debatable issue. The scandal here is that we traded prisoners for a deserter and potentially traitor who may have been in on the whole thing.

That's not a scandal, that's SOP for the US military. We bring our prisoners back. If he's a deserter or a traitor WE deal with him.

The rest of it is completely unfounded speculation. Speculation is not a scandal.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Yes, I'm well aware that most of the Obama hate is sour grapes. Problem is, your sour grapes are impeding progress.

My sour grapes? Obviously you have me mistaken for someone else. Oh that right, you're just another political hack just like Michal1980, just on the other side of the same coin.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I think Bush did a number of good things while in office, he just did a lot of bad ones too.

It's hard to look at Bush as anything other than a colossal failure considering that during his presidency he had the largest terrorist attack in US history, engaged the country in two ruinous wars, and ended it with the worst economic calamity in generations. All in only eight years.

That's pretty bad.

yeah and obama is not much better. both are colossal failure's.

as for 9/11 only fucking idiots and hacks place the blame on bush.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
yeah and obama is not much better. both are colossal failure's.

I'm not sure: how many Americans have died in terrorist attacks at this point vs. how many died under Bush?

How many ruinous wars has he started?

How many economic collapses have we sustained?

Seems an awful lot like false equivalency to me.

as for 9/11 only fucking idiots and hacks place the blame on bush.

While I agree that Bush does not bear sole responsibility for 9/11, he most certainly deserves a hefty dose of the blame.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I'm not sure: how many Americans have died in terrorist attacks at this point vs. how many died under Bush?

How many ruinous wars has he started?

How many economic collapses have we sustained?

Seems an awful lot like false equivalency to me.

While I agree that Bush does not bear sole responsibility for 9/11, he most certainly deserves a hefty dose of the blame.

no. he deserves none of the blame. just as if Obama was in office if it happened. to think they deserve blame or responsibility is nothing more then being a hack.

does bush deserve shit for the 2 wars? sure we shouldn't been over. But OBAMA deserves just as much for not pulling out and for ramping them up.

as i said both are failures.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
From all accounts thus far, the guy wasn't a POW. He deserted and joined the Taliban. These details aren't confirmed and is still speculation at this point, but it very well could be that he then used his status as a missing soldier to get his Taliban buddies released.

from all accounts to still speculation?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
no. he deserves none of the blame. just as if Obama was in office if it happened. to think they deserve blame or responsibility is nothing more then being a hack.

Saying that nobody deserves any blame for the preventable murder of 3,000 Americans is so foolish as to be baffling, or... being a hack.

does bush deserve shit for the 2 wars? sure we shouldn't been over. But OBAMA deserves just as much for not pulling out and for ramping them up.

as i said both are failures.

No, Obama doesn't deserve just as much blame for Iraq and Afghanistan as Bush does. Obama deserves blame for his actions relating to those wars, but Bush started them. The idea that their comparative blame is identical is again, so foolish as to be baffling.