obama successfully reaches across to Republicans.

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
By surgically taking out most of his military resources including all of his chemical weapons? I mean, that is the stated plan, is it not?

It's been stated numerous times, in numerous places, by numerous experts that we cannot take out his chemical weapons with air power or missiles. It requires people/troops

Fern

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I don't think the goal is to remove Assad as a threat. I think the goal is to remove his ability to use chems.

I haven't quite understood this point. He can kill his own people, including women and children, all day long and we are cool with that as long as he uses bombs and bullets. If he kills the exact same amount of people using chemical weapons then he must be stopped. WTF is the difference? Last I checked dead is fucking dead.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I haven't quite understood this point. He can kill his own people, including women and children, all day long and we are cool with that as long as he uses bombs and bullets. If he kills the exact same amount of people using chemical weapons then he must be stopped. WTF is the difference? Last I checked dead is fucking dead.

The difference is that actually stopping the civil war would be messy and draw the US into an Iraq level quagmire, while limiting the scope of your goals to something nebulous like "punishing Assad for using chemical weapons" lets you move the goalposts as necessary. This is important, because then that distinction between methods of killing allows The Obama Fanclub to maintain their righteous indignation about Bush and Iraq while protecting their leader in the event of a clusterfuck in Syria.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
The difference is that actually stopping the civil war would be messy and draw the US into an Iraq level quagmire, while limiting the scope of your goals to something nebulous like "punishing Assad for using chemical weapons" lets you move the goalposts as necessary. This is important, because then that distinction between methods of killing allows The Obama Fanclub to maintain their righteous indignation about Bush and Iraq while protecting their leader in the event of a clusterfuck in Syria.

Seeing how this is a rather bipartisan issue I don't see your point at all unless you are saying the Repubs are trying to protect Obama from a potential clursterfuck which, to me at least, doesn't seem likely.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Obamma has started more wars than any other president. He is a cold blooded baby killer. That he would even nominate Kerry is an insult to every member of the military. Does he even know what kind of turn coat Kerry is for the Military? Kerry claimed all the soldiers in Viet Nam were baby killers. How could he ever possible be the secretary of State? He is a clown!

BlueWolf47

Apr 22, 2005
Obamma has started more wars than any other president. He is a cold blooded baby killer. That he would even nominate Kerry is an insult to every member of the military. Does he even know what kind of turn coat Kerry is for the Military? Kerry claimed all the soldiers in Viet Nam were baby killers. How could he ever possible be the secretary of State? He is a clown!

You forgot to put /sarcasm.

Apr 27, 2012

It is obama, what else do you expect from him?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I didn't craft the international rules of war, you'll have to research the reasoning yourself. I trust you won't agree with it even after you've learned about it.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The only way that this would be equivalent to Bush/Iraq would be if Obama knows that Assad didn't use chems. Nice try to equate the two, though.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The only way that this would be equivalent to Bush/Iraq would be if Obama knows that Assad didn't use chems. Nice try to equate the two, though.

We do know Saddam used them. We don't know if Assad did. Democrats really should have been far more supportive of Bush and damning of Obama if attacking countries that use chemical weapons is their goal.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hague_Conventions_of_1899_and_1907

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I#Ground_warfare

History is fun.

Saw some congress critter on a Sunday news show actually saying it doesn't matter if they all gas each other as long as they don't directly come after the United States or our allies. Because ignoring a maniac worked so well for Neville Chamberlain.