Obama skips Polish funeral, heads to golf course

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Another diplomatic win for the Obama administration...
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/apr/18/obama-skips-polish-funeral-heads-to-golf-course/
A massive volcanic plume covering most of Europe forced President Obama to cancel a Sunday trip to Poland to attend the funeral of the nation's president. But the last-minute change left an opening in his schedule, so the president headed to the links for a round of golf instead.

On a cool but sun-drenched Sunday, the president and three golfing companions went to Andrews Air Force Base to play 18 holes. It is the 32nd time Mr. Obama has played golf since taking office Jan. 20, 2009, according to CBS Radio's Mark Knoller.

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, however, flew by plane from Moscow for the funeral.

Amazing how other leaders were able to attend.

Mr. Obama has played golf far more often than former President George W. Bush. In his eight years in office, Mr. Bush played just 24 times. His last time as president was Oct. 13, 2003.

Where in Michael Moore when you need him?

SergeC

May 7, 2005
You must have missed the thing where you can't fly over western europe now, due to volcano ash - despite it being in the quote you posted.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
You must have missed the thing where you can't fly over western europe now, due to volcano ash.

You must have missed the thing where the Russian president somehow found a way to fly from Moscow.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

The slams against bush for playing golf/vacation were all over the news and this very forum. As it stands Obama is setting records for being out of the office considering we have so much "crisis" according to him it's highly amusing.

Let's assume a regular round of 4.5 hours, round up to 5 for a few beers at the turn to 5 hours. That's 160 hours or approximately 4 full weeks of vacation and he hasn't been in office 15 months.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
MAP.jpg

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Poland is far too western for the President to respect. Now if they were a Muslim nation....

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
You must have missed the thing where the Russian president somehow found a way to fly from Moscow.

You must have missed geography in high school, since you missed that Russia is to the EAST of Poland, and also that Russian isn't in North America. Medvedev didn't have to fly trans-Atlantic, now did he?

You really need to pay attention to these details. They are acutally important and relevant.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Where in Michael Moore when you need him?
This time Obama is listening to the libertarians - don't waste money flying half way across the world for people you don't know.

I skipped lots of funerals so I could go to work or school. Half of my grade 6 class was at a funeral for the social studies teacher when he died; I was in class learning math.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Look at a map dipshit.

Problem with maps is that they are viewed on a flat surface when the earth is actually round.

http://www.athropolis.com/map2.htm

But really, in the interested of safety and having to fly out of the way (which Air Force 1 can handle)... maybe a good decision to not go. But don't go out and play golf in shorts when the world is watching. Have some dignity as leader of the free world.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Oh, yeah, and Bush gave up golf to honor the memories of soldiers he unnecessarily sent to die in Iraq. I am sure that makes up for it.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
The slams against bush for playing golf/vacation were all over the news and this very forum. As it stands Obama is setting records for being out of the office considering we have so much "crisis" according to him it's highly amusing.

Let's assume a regular round of 4.5 hours, round up to 5 for a few beers at the turn to 5 hours. That's 160 hours or approximately 4 full weeks of vacation and he hasn't been in office 15 months.

Yet another troll post, do you ever post anything rational?

There are plenty of legitimate things to complain about with Obama, this (and just about everything else you post) isn't one of them.

Let's take a look at some facts, which will be a nice change from your posts. In 8 years of the Presidency, Bush spent 487 days at Camp David. He also spent 490 days at his Ranch.

That works out to ~122 days per year of vacation time. Has Obama been on vacation for 122 days yet? I didn't think so.

So you are complaining about 20 days in over a year? Really? Nevermind that instead of playing golf, Bush could have been running, maybe mountain biking? That is recreation, just like golf. Are you complaining about that? Of course not. All R's get a free pass in your sick mind.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Let's take a look at some facts, which will be a nice change from your posts. In 8 years of the Presidency, Bush spent 487 days at Camp David. He also spent 490 days at his Ranch.

That works out to ~122 days per year of vacation time. Has Obama been on vacation for 122 days yet? I didn't think so.

The more time spent by Bush on vacation, the less he could screw up in Washington. :awe:

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Yet another troll post, do you ever post anything rational?

There are plenty of legitimate things to complain about with Obama, this (and just about everything else you post) isn't one of them.

So you are complaining about 20 days in over a year? Really? Nevermind that instead of playing golf, Bush could have been running, maybe mountain biking? That is recreation, just like golf. Are you complaining about that? Of course not. All R's get a free pass in your sick mind.

I hope you're not holding your breath waiting for him to respond to this ^

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
You must have missed the part where airplane aren't constrained to flying in straight lines.

You must have missed the part where many countries in between Poland and the US have closed their airspaces (and airports) because of the ash cloud.

Through which country(ies) should AF1 fly and at which airport should it land?

If it's so obvious that he could've found a reasonably safe way to fly there, you should know which countries and which airport.. after all, you're an expert. :rolleyes:

Last edited: