Obama says do the debt ceiling now, or else.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
Didn't listen but I read an article that had some quotes. He apparently said what he should have been saying for four years now. Paraphrasing: "I won't play games with you weak republicans."

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Yeah, I heard that he attacked Republicans, too.

At least he is doing it before a midnight deadline, this time.

-John

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Just trying to call attention to the fact that President Obama, called a press conference today (unusual), and blamed Republicans, in advance.

He called a press conference to blame Republicans in advance.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your President.

-John

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
If you come home after a trip, and your sewer backed up, and your house is full of sewage to the ceiling, do you clean out the sewage, or raise the ceiling?

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
If you come home after a trip, and your sewer backed up, and your house is full of sewage to the ceiling, do you clean out the sewage, or raise the ceiling?

Bad analogy. The debt we owe has already been approved by Congress. Raising the ceiling is just making payments against the debt they already agreed to take on.

Debt is too high, deficits are too high, etc. All true. But we have obligations we have agreed to and raising the ceiling is just making good on those obligations. Full faith and credit and whatnot.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

Clearly you raise the ceiling, there's plenty more sewage that needs somewhere to go.

It is amazing the amount of shit we let the government get away with.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Bad analogy. The debt we owe has already been approved by Congress. Raising the ceiling is just making payments against the debt they already agreed to take on.

Debt is too high, deficits are too high, etc. All true. But we have obligations we have agreed to and raising the ceiling is just making good on those obligations. Full faith and credit and whatnot.

1) Congress shouldn't have approved more debt to begin with.
2) We already raised the ceiling recently and here we are going for it again.

What part of STOP SPENDING MONEY WE DON'T HAVE do those retards in Washington not understand?

Last edited:

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
1) Congress shouldn't have approved more debt to begin with.
2) We already raised the ceiling recently and here we are going for it again.

What part of STOP SPENDING MONEY WE DON'T HAVE do those retards in Washington not understand?

I would love a balanced budget, and even more I would love debt reduction. I hated the idea in the 2000 election that Bush said we should give the surplus back to the taxpayer in the form of massive tax cuts, completely ignoring the debt we still carried. I preferred the Clinton/Gore approach to paying off the debt within 10 years. It may not have happened depending on many circumstances, but it was at least the right idea and direction.

I never really grasped the "fiscal cliff" calamity that everyone was concerned about that would raise taxes and reduce spending. Like that was a bad thing.

However, we have committed to these debts and the ceiling needs to be raised to prevent default. If the Republicans have a problem with the size of our debt they can always agree to cut spending and raise taxes. You know, the only two ways to achieve that goal. There is a time and place for their grandstanding, and it isn't the debt ceiling portion of the matter. It is in the budget.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Well, we've wanted to cut spending (the house has proposed several budgets), but the democrats won't play ball with that. Probably cuts spending on too many of their pet programs I guess.

The main reason I'm against any tax hikes right now is the government has proven itself time and time again to be irresponsible. Prove to me that they are willing to do what it takes to reduce deficits and debt, reduce spending FIRST (AND their salaries that they just increased for no good reason), then we can talk about any tax adjustments that may need to be made. But not before. Throwing more money at them won't solve anything as they'll just go burn it on something else stupid.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
Well, we've wanted to cut spending (the house has proposed several budgets), but the democrats won't play ball with that. Probably cuts spending on too many of their pet programs I guess.

Please. The Ryan proposal that many touted wouldn't balance the budget for 30 years! They didn't do anything to cut the single largest expenditure in our budget at all. Gutting the "opposition's" programs while leaving everything on their side virtually untouched shows how serious they were, or weren't.

They didn't own the majority in the Senate and it wouldn't have passed the White House, so why even offer up such a "deal"? Not only that, but it reinforces the notion that this debt ceiling thing is a charade because their own ideas wouldn't even begin to stamp out new deficit spending for 30 years. How can you not raise the ceiling, claiming irresponsibility when your own plan does the exact same thing?

I'm no Obama supporter, I didn't vote for him either cycle, but the Republican posturing on this is just stupid.

The main reason I'm against any tax hikes right now is the government has proven itself time and time again to be irresponsible. Prove to me that they are willing to do what it takes to reduce deficits and debt, reduce spending FIRST (AND their salaries that they just increased for no good reason), then we can talk about any tax adjustments that may need to be made. But not before. Throwing more money at them won't solve anything as they'll just go burn it on something else stupid.

Fair enough, but without tax hikes you are going to have to be raising that debt ceiling alot more often.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Like I said, it's a start. Not the end, no. But we have to start somewhere. And screw those who say we need to start by throwing more money at the problem.

Angry Irishman

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2010
Anyone listen to the press conference today?

What'd he say?

-John

I tell you what he didn't say. He said nothing that makes him an effective LEADER. The President, any president, should be a facilitator and leader first, a party man second. He's not the first to really suck at this but he is indeed in that position and this action is required to move forward.

Neither party is going to get exactly what they want. Compromise is needed and the President needs to orchestrate that compromise. Finger pointing and trying to sell this to the American populous isn't the answer and leads to continued stagnation and inaction.

His track record is fairly plain....that man couldn't manage (nor would he genuinely want to)a Burger King without having the employees killing each other. He'd pick the liberal side and watch the place go out of business.

Last edited:

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007

When you go to a restaurant and order lots of food, do you pay the bill or run out the door?

If you propose to not raise the debt ceiling you're running for the door.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
When you go to a restaurant and order lots of food, do you pay the bill or run out the door?

If you propose to not raise the debt ceiling you're running for the door.

I don't go to a restaurant if I can't pay for it. Which is exactly what these oafs in Washington have done.

Silver Prime

Golden Member
May 29, 2012
lol, bottom line:

Hey rich people, you have more money, then pay more money in your taxes...or I'll ship your ass to china. XD

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
I tell you what he didn't say. He said nothing that makes him an effective LEADER. The President, any president, should be a facilitator and leader first, a party man second. He's not the first to really suck at this but he is indeed in that position and this action is required to move forward.

Neither party is going to get exactly what they want. Compromise is needed and the President needs to orchestrate that compromise. Finger pointing and trying to sell this to the American populous isn't the answer and leads to continued stagnation and inaction.

You are not very bright. Treating "compromise" as an absolute ideal allows the other side to set their demands to such an extreme that in the "compromise" they get everything, which is exactly the game the Republicans are playing. "Agree to nothing no matter how far Obama bends over backwards, and let Fox News spin how he's an eeebil librul and and scary, uppity black man who won't agree to anything."

You can't endlessly play the game of *0.5

You say "1", I say "0".
Meet me halfway!
0.5!
Ok, now we've established that your position is "0.5", and I'm at "0". So, in the spirit of compromise, why don't you meet me halfway?
Hey, now we're talking. But my constituents really want "0". Why don't you help me out and meet me halfway?
Hey, that's pretty good. But I've been thinking that "0" is really too much of a compromise for me. What I really wanted from the beginning was "-0.125." We're pretty close, so why don't you just meet me halfway and we'll call it a done deal?

Here's a hint: You're not the one doing the leading in that scenario.

Silver Prime

Golden Member
May 29, 2012
Hey chuck norris said he'd be more than happy to pay higher taxes...no joke.

But its not like they're giving the money to the king an it will stay in his booty chest to gauck at, its going to replinish the economy bush F'kd up, geez I wanna just here it for once in my life...
CHINA WE DONT OWE YOU SHIT!

As of right now, its
CHINA I GOT TO TAKE A SHIT!

XD XD XD

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I don't go to a restaurant if I can't pay for it. Which is exactly what these oafs in Washington have done.

You didn't answer the question, you basically said you are smarter than congress, that's a pretty low bar to cross.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
This whole absurdity that if we don't raise our debt ceiling we will default on our obligations is complete Bullshit.

The only way we will ever default is if the President of the United States and his Treasury Sec say fuck the debtors. Our tax revenues far far exceed our interest payments monthly.