Obama salutes Fort Hood victims, condemns murders

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
I'm not saying that at all. Those words came from you, not me. My statement is open to interpretation from several viewpoints.

You've expressed just one.

In thinking about it, I may have used the wrong word. I'm going to edit it. You've quoted me, so all will see it as I originally posted it. I'm going to change the word 'can't' to 'won't'. I'll make a note of your quote in the original post. My apologies for my error.

Thank you. So are thinking that he isn't criticizing Islam in order to not offend Muslims by breaking their Sharia law? Interesting.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The people at Ft Hood were murdered by the policy of the General of the Army making Diversity more important than safety or accountability. It is time to kick out the leadership in the Army.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
So you feel it would be wise of him to condemn Islam? How will that be progress? All it will do is alienate Muslims who are not radicals. Anyway there are plenty of you fear mongers doing that, no need for the leader of the United States to do it.

But Obama going off half-cocked over a white cop arresting black man helps race relations in this country? When Tiller the Baby Killer was murdered thats all we heard from every news organization on the planet is how it was probably some christian radical.. But DARE to mention Islam is the problem (It IS) and we are just upsetting people? Its the truth. Islam IS the problem.

But lets just keep our heads in the sand.. Obama's hope and change is coming I am sure.. Muslim's will love us shortly.. Probably because we let them come over here, murder 13 of our soldiers, and are too afraid to say anything about it.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
The people at Ft Hood were murdered by the policy of the General of the Army making Diversity more important than safety or accountability. It is time to kick out the leadership in the Army.

Lets start with the Commander-in-Chief.

gwydion75

Jul 11, 2007
If by promoting diversity, you mean... hiring everyone who's interested because we need more stupid troops for more stupid wars, then yeah... I agree with you... but that starts at the top, as has been stated. He could have and should have begun bringin troops home the second he got into office.

When your friends start joining the military because its "A good job", then you know there's a problem.

There's no such thing as pre-emptive defense. We're failing from a military and moral perspective.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
It didn't help one bit that Clinton, early in 1993, outlawed the carrying of firearms on military bases. Instead of highly trained people being able to defend themselves, they were forced to cower under desks. I suppose it made a lot of sense to the leftist community at the time. Hell, it probably still makes sense now for that matter.

Once again, it's shown that criminals don't follow the rules. It's time to start running this nation using good old fashioned common sense.

The top commander of the military reports to our commander in chief. If he wishes to retain his position, he keeps track of who's buttering his bread. Make no mistake, the housecleaning needs to start at the top. People on the lower rungs don't make policy, they follow it.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It didn't help one bit that Clinton, early in 1993, outlawed the carrying of firearms on military bases. Instead of highly trained people being able to defend themselves, they were forced to cower under desks. I suppose it made a lot of sense to the leftist community at the time. Hell, it probably still makes sense now for that matter.

Once again, it's shown that criminals don't follow the rules. It's time to start running this nation using good old fashioned common sense.

The top commander of the military reports to our commander in chief. If he wishes to retain his position, he keeps track of who's buttering his bread. Make no mistake, the housecleaning needs to start at the top. People on the lower rungs don't make policy, they follow it.

What sort of weapon would you expect these soldiers to be carrying, and why? Their M-16's slung over their shoulder while they were lining up for overseas screening? The Clinton era ban was on people carrying personal firearms. If no threat was believed to exist (as in this case) no sane command would have armed their whole base anyway... it's asking for accidents to happen for no good reason.

As for personal firearms, does the office you work in permit you to come in strapping? I'm guessing not. Or are they going to check their rifles out of the armory each day and then check them in before they go home? Or are you asking for a policy in which the military hands people assault weapons to take home with them?

I don't think you have thought this through.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009

I still find it rediculus that only MP's carry guns on base.

I would put a sidearm on EVERYONE and make them qualify, and give rifles to the MP's.

that would certainly make this crap less viable.

not saying you are wrong, just something I always thought it was stupid that its hard to find an armed soldier on a friggin base

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I still find it rediculus that only MP's carry guns on base.

I would put a sidearm on EVERYONE and make them qualify, and give rifles to the MP's.

that would certainly make this crap less viable.

not saying you are wrong, just something I always thought it was stupid that its hard to find an armed soldier on a friggin base

I bet you that a lot more than 12 people would have been killed over the last 20 odd years in various shooting incidents if you suddenly gave one and a half MILLION people guns to carry around with them all day.

The average member of the military didn't carry a gun around with him long before Clinton's ban... and it's because the people running the military don't want their members doing it either.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
But Obama going off half-cocked over a white cop arresting black man helps race relations in this country? When Tiller the Baby Killer was murdered thats all we heard from every news organization on the planet is how it was probably some christian radical.. But DARE to mention Islam is the problem (It IS) and we are just upsetting people? Its the truth. Islam IS the problem.

But lets just keep our heads in the sand.. Obama's hope and change is coming I am sure.. Muslim's will love us shortly.. Probably because we let them come over here, murder 13 of our soldiers, and are too afraid to say anything about it.

Logic fail much? How many people have been murdered in the US by Islamic nutters in the past 8 years? How many by serial killers? How many by general nutters? Islam *is* the problem my ass. The problem is that humans do shitty things to each other all the time, this time it was Jihad as the excuse, but how do you explain Timothy McVeigh bombing all those folks in OKC? How do you explain the office workers who go on rampages and shoot the building up?

JohnnyGage

Feb 18, 2008
Logic fail much? How many people have been murdered in the US by Islamic nutters in the past 8 years? How many by serial killers? How many by general nutters? Islam *is* the problem my ass. The problem is that humans do shitty things to each other all the time, this time it was Jihad as the excuse, but how do you explain Timothy McVeigh bombing all those folks in OKC? How do you explain the office workers who go on rampages and shoot the building up?

It was pre-traumatic stress disorder.

Good speech by the way.