Obama plans to halve deficit by 2013

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: Corn
Originally posted by: jpeyton
A month in and already Obama is a complete disaster. Good job lefties, way to go, you've just made Bush look downright fiscally responsible in comparison to your messiah. This is one sick joke.
LAWL

Even Bernie Madoff is more fiscally responsible than Bush.

LOL LAWL

I guess that makes Bernie Madoff far far more fiscally responsible than Obama.
So what do you suggest be done?

How about spend money on strictly infrastructure for starters? Cut other programs to pay for it? Going on a spending spree is going to leave us with a nice bill at the end with little to show for it.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: jpeyton
A month in and already Obama is a complete disaster. Good job lefties, way to go, you've just made Bush look downright fiscally responsible in comparison to your messiah. This is one sick joke.
LAWL

Even Bernie Madoff is more fiscally responsible than Bush.

LOL LAWL

I guess that makes Bernie Madoff far far more fiscally responsible than Obama.
So what do you suggest be done?

How about spend money on strictly infrastructure for starters? Cut other programs to pay for it? Going on a spending spree is going to leave us with a nice bill at the end with little to show for it.
So the Republicans plan was just to spend money on the infrastructure and that's it? You think that would be enough?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
No, that is my suggestion not the republicans.

Enough for what? Perhaps we as a nation should realize we will have recessions and learn to cope instead of spending trillions in a futile attempt at staving off the inevitable?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Enough for what? Perhaps we as a nation should realize we will have recessions and learn to cope instead of spending trillions in a futile attempt at staving off the inevitable?
So you think the economists, politicians and a lot of the other so called experts were just being paranoid and alarmists and nothing really needed to be done? Man if that's the case the American public was really led down the primrose path by both parties.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

So you think the economists, politicians and a lot of the other so called experts were just being paranoid and alarmists and nothing really needed to be done? Man if that's the case the American public was really led down the primrose path by both parties.

Politicians? Absofuckinglutely! Are you kidding me? Why would a politician not want to grab more power by expanding the govt? Economists? Like who, Paul Krugman? We can spend this money and in 4 years I'd like somebody to show us with concrete proof it did anything other than raise our debt at alarming rates.

The only legitimate worry IMO is\was the credit crunch. That has been and is being dealt with. The pork bill from last week is seperate from that.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Politicians? Absofuckinglutely! Are you kidding me? Why would a politician not want to grab more power by expanding the govt? Economists? Like who, Paul Krugman? We can spend this money and in 4 years I'd like somebody to show us with concrete proof it did anything other than raise our debt at alarming rates.

The only legitimate worry IMO is\was the credit crunch. That has been and is being dealt with. The pork bill from last week is seperate from that.
Well I guess we'll have to see if it helped or not as it's been done.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Let's be honest, we know Bush never included the costs of Iraq and Afghanistan in his budgets....ever.

We are doing that now, so the number is higher by definition even if everything else stays the same.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

I'm not so sure about that, we're creeping closer to bank nationalization practically hour by hour. We've not dealt with this core problem, the credit markets are still hosed and getting worse.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
If Bush did his job and regulated the banks properly, we wouldn't be in this mess.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Doc Savage Fan
Originally posted by: senseamp
If Bush did his job and regulated the banks properly, we wouldn't be in this mess.
The depth or your ignorance astounds me. :roll:

Coming from you, that's a compliment.

wjgollatz

Oct 1, 2004

Yes. President Obama being the prime example of being a paranoid alarmist. After dedicating his entire presidency so far to having the "stimulus" bill passed, proclaiming that every day it was not delayed was a day too late, and that the bill was needed to avert a "catastrophe" in his own words.

After congress passed the bill, Obama took the bill and flew halfway across the country, dined with his wife and vacationed for three days, then decided to sign the bill. Emergency?

JACKDRUID

Nov 28, 2007

exactly.

in addition, had Bush saved up enough during our nations' good time, we would have had enough reserves to fund our stimulus plan in bad times such as now.

Rustler

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2004
Car Salesman: Look here I am selling you this car at TRIPLE the price..............then I am gonna give you HALF off............................THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER.........................................................

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Rustler
President Clinton signed the bill in 1998 to de regulate the Banks.

spread the wealth, future generations, timely targeted and temporary, values, tax cuts, big government spending liberal, pork

Nov 30, 2006
Originally posted by: JACKDRUID

exactly.

in addition, had Bush saved up enough during our nations' good time, we would have had enough reserves to fund our stimulus plan in bad times such as now.
Damn straight...and if Clinton also saved up enough during our nations' good times, we'd have even more reserves to fund our stimulus plan in bad times such as now. It's all so simple isn't it? :roll:

To blame all this all on Bush is pure BDS. You'll find that there's plenty of blame to go around assuming you've made an any attempt to understand what happened. Here's a news flash...both parties failed us.

For the record, I'm glad to see Obama talk about the deficit being a problem and making an effort to deal with it. A definite improvement over the previous administration IMO.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

exactly.

Damn straight...and if Clinton also saved up enough during our nations' good times, we'd have even more reserves to fund our stimulus plan in bad times such as now. It's all so simple isn't it? :roll:

To blame all this all on Bush is pure BDS. You'll find that there's plenty of blame to go around assuming you've made an any attempt to understand what happened. Here's a news flash...both parties failed us.

For the record, I'm glad to see Obama talk about the deficit being a problem and making an effort to deal with it. A definite improvement over the previous administration IMO.

It's the fault of Bush. Deal with it.

Bush X (VooDoo Economics + Laissez-Faire) = Major Fail

Nov 30, 2006
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

exactly.

Lol...and thanks for taking to time to share your 'objective' and 'highly intelligent' evaluation of this issue. But you might want to work a little bit on the 'objective' part...unless, of course, you've already sold your mind and soul to something that means absolutely nothing.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Rustler
President Clinton signed the bill in 1998 to de regulate the Banks.

From an interview with Bill...

http://www.businessweek.com/ma..._40/b4102000409948.htm

Phil Gramm, who was then the head of the Senate Banking Committee and until recently a close economic adviser of Senator McCain, was a fierce proponent of banking deregulation. Did he sell you a bill of goods?

Not on this bill I don't think he did. You know, Phil Gramm and I disagreed on a lot of things, but he can't possibly be wrong about everything. On the Glass-Steagall thing, like I said, if you could demonstrate to me that it was a mistake, I'd be glad to look at the evidence. But I can't blame [the Republicans]. This wasn't something they forced me into. I really believed that given the level of oversight of banks and their ability to have more patient capital, if you made it possible for [commercial banks] to go into the investment banking business as Continental European investment banks could always do, that it might give us a more stable source of long-term investment.

JACKDRUID

Nov 28, 2007

exactly.

Damn straight...and if Clinton also saved up enough during our nations' good times, we'd have even more reserves to fund our stimulus plan in bad times such as now. It's all so simple isn't it? :roll:.

Bush brought this country down even further with 8 solid years of pure war spending without any income from the war.

But you are correct, according to Keynesian Effect, we should be paying back / save up reserves during good times. So far, we have always used Keynasian deficit spending in bad times, but never paid back the money in good times...

it may be too early ( as we might still be in recession/depression in 4 yrs), but at least it looks like Obama is going to try to cut the deficit as according to Keynasian theory.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

exactly.

Lol...and thanks for taking to time to share your 'objective' and 'highly intelligent' evaluation of this issue. But you might want to work a little bit on the 'objective' part...unless, of course, you've already sold your mind and soul to something that means absolutely nothing.

Feel free to explain securitization and leverage in your defense of lassez-faire. Do you even know what lassez-faire means?

Maybe then you can explain to all of us at AT the explosion of default swaps from less than $10 trillion to $65 trillion in 5 or six years.

In your explanation of securitization please be sure to explain how financial institutions used this tool. And then possibly you may explain the actions taken by the FDIC, the Treasury, the Fed, the SEC, or anyone for that matter, to identify abuse and take prudent action.

We'll be waiting for your answer.

Thanks for your contribution

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

exactly.

heyheyboboo is just coming to grips with the fact Obama is going to make Bush look like a fiscal conservative. Which is something previously thought impossible.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Righties are so deep in denial that they'd claim night was day, if they thought they'd be believed by anybody who has a few functional grey cells.

Here's the real picture, sans all the usual deficit vs actual debt fol-de-rol, and it's not a pretty picture for the "Free market! Deregulate!""smaller govt" "cut taxes and increase spending" crowd that cheered GWB every inch of the way to disaster-

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/...bt/histdebt_histo5.htm

Notice that actual indebtedness increased >$1T in FY2008, thanks in part to the need to socialize losses after privatizing profits in the financial sector. The simple fact that a Republican Administration found it necessary to basically nationalize the banks at the end of the looting spree they sponsored really tells us all we need to know- that they failed America in spectacular fashion. But, that's obviously somebody else's fault, right?

How lame, and how truly foolish. Ideology has trumped reality on the Right for a very, very long time, however, so I suppose it's unrealistic to expect that any of the adherents would actually admit to abject failure... to being blind-ass chumps of the financial elite...