Obama on the campaign trail, "Ill end the war"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Because, as the apologists have already stated, his comment was taken out of context.

SNIP

His words arent meant to be taken literally.
People say the Bible isn't meant to be taken literally, and he's the Messiah, so shouldn't it logically flow that his words aren't meant to be taken literally? LOL

I actually have no problem with his promise or what he's done, which is pretty much nothing. I think Bush wanted to stay as long as possible to intimidate Iran, but the Democrats had already neutered Bush. If the Iranian regime was ever intimidated, it certainly wasn't after November 2006. Personally Iraq has it's democracy, so I'm ready for us to leave. Obama took office too late to lose the war, so if he speeds up the withdrawal, good for him (and us.)

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
What makes you think it's possible to suddenly turn off a war and safely remove tens or hundreds of thousands of our troops and civilians from a war your mercifully EX-Traitor In Chief and his criminal cabal of traitors, murderers, torturers, war criminals, war profiteers and general incompetents?

Why don't right wingnuts like you want to remember who fucked up the war they should have and COULD have won in Afghanistan and squandered the lives of thousands of American troops and trillions of dollars in their ILLEGAL war of LIES in Iraq?

If you deny any of that, YOU are the flagrant liar and apologist.

Your Messiah continues the TRAITOROUS activity and you ignore it, explain it away, and make excuses. I believe that makes YOU a traitor as well.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Your Messiah continues the TRAITOROUS activity and you ignore it, explain it away, and make excuses. I believe that makes YOU a traitor as well.

those ass fucks you voted for probably tied that shit up so tight it will take a decade to unravel.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I understand the war. Presidents always lie about that sort of thing. What I find funny is that he said he'd not support mandatory insurance or a penalty for not having it. My times have changed.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I understand the war. Presidents always lie about that sort of thing. What I find funny is that he said he'd not support mandatory insurance or a penalty for not having it. My times have changed.

Well, like werepossum said,

shouldn't it logically flow that his words aren't meant to be taken literally? LOL

LOL indeed ;)

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To start out, we have to ask which war? I believe Obama was referring to Iraq and not Afghanistan. In Iraq we are already committed to an exit plan, which the UN had already imposed on GWB. So no lie there in a Iraq war Obama opposed before it began.

The Obama pledge in Afghanistan was quite different, and only after Obama presidency had committed more ground troops to Afghanistan did we learn how FUBARed the GWB&co strategy had left Afghanistan. As we learned that 85% of Afghanistan was under Taliban control while GWB was clueless about what a fuckup he was.

In short, its going to be far harder to win in Afghanistan now than when we initially invaded in 2002. And now Obama is wrestling about how to fix Afghanistan, and unhappy with any options given to him by his staff of Generals. But he will soon have to get off the pot or shit, and take his plan to the American people.

After that, we have to learn to take campaign promises with a grain of salt.

Eisenhower promised to win in Korea and at best got an uneasy Mexican standoff that still exists today. No win by any stretch of the imagination.

Nixon promised us a Vietnamese victory by the end of his first term. He did not deliver.
In his second term he adopted the McGovern peace plan, relabeled it peace with honor,
so we could pretend we won after losing.

And who can ever forget, "read my lips, no new taxes."

Reality is a bitch.

I think he will start withdrawing out of Afghanistan before the end of his first term. It is obviously a no win situation.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
It is OK when Obama does it.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is a mouth-breathing knuckle-dragging gay-hating neo-nazi.