Obama on ILLEGALS deportations.. Congress makes me do it

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
My definition is based on the pure and plain text of the Constitution. What is yours based on?

Reality. If they are not supposed to be here because their visa expired, they're here illegally. If by some pro-illegal action by our wonderful politicians they've conveniently wrote the law that that is not the case, then all the more shame upon us as citizens for not tossing their asses out sooner and putting in place people who represent the US, not illegals + some small subset of the US that is pro-illegal. Making excuses for it will not fix the problem.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
My definition is based on the pure and plain text of the Constitution. What is yours based on?

Would you be so kind as to post the text in our Constitution that says anyone, and everyone who walks across our borders is automatically an American, and a citizen?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

Please do share.

And let us know what part of the Constitution you are referring to.

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
The 14th Amendment. The pure and plain text without inserting an entire encyclopedia within it.

This part?

1: All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Clearly we're not talking about person born here as they would automatically be citizens. So, it must be those who are naturalized.

If so, Article 1, Section 8, paragraph 4 specifically provides Congress power over naturalization:

4: To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

So, it's up to Congress and given their power over this is made clear in the Constitution any effort to find laws created by them unconstitutional would be nigh impossible in all but the most absurd situations.

("Naturalization" typically means the process whereby non-citizens become citizens, but it seems to me the process includes allowing non-citizens to come here in the first place.)

Fern

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
The company I work at is on of the biggest H1B consumers. Why do we give out so many H1Bs?

There is big money in hiring Indian techs at peanut wages. They may make $50,000/year for a job that normally may pull over $100,000. The hiring service company uses a green card at a carrot making sure the H1B visa holder does not scoot for higher pay, meanwhile the manpower company charges $80,000/year for the worker.