• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Obama on Gun Control

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Nebor
Gun control is dead. Shouldn't be discussed until the USSC decision comes back.
Well, the arguments will be changed once the SC rules, but for most people, especially rural people gun control always has been and always will be an issue worth keeping an eye on.

First they can make you wear seatbelts and helmets, then they can tell you where you can and can't smoke. Hell, they can even get away with firing people for smoking (a legal activity) on their own time and in their own home.

How much longer will it be until the politicians figure out a way to sell us out on the gun issue? I think it will hapen sooner then people think.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
Well, the arguments will be changed once the SC rules, but for most people, especially rural people gun control always has been and always will be an issue worth keeping an eye on.

First they can make you wear seatbelts and helmets, then they can tell you where you can and can't smoke. Hell, they can even get away with firing people for smoking (a legal activity) on their own time and in their own home.

How much longer will it be until the politicians figure out a way to sell us out on the gun issue? I think it will hapen sooner then people think.
You can ask anyone in law enforcement: taking guns from people comes with an inherent risk of being shot. That makes the difference.

I'm not saying ignore the issue, just that it won't be a major issue until the decision is rendered, and after that, I predict we won't hear much more about it.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

You can ask anyone in law enforcement: taking guns from people comes with an inherent risk of being shot. That makes the difference.

I'm not saying ignore the issue, just that it won't be a major issue until the decision is rendered, and after that, I predict we won't hear much more about it.
I predict you're prediction is way off. Here's how it works. The SC makes a ruling, states then chip away at it per their constituencies will. Look at abortion. The states that want it illegal try everything they can to make it as inconvenient as possible and when they go too far they get smacked down, and then they try again with a new restriction. Same will happen with guns. No automatic weapons, then no easily modified automatics, etc. Some statutes will get thrown out, others will stick. Meanwhile, Texans will have less reason than any to worry.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: sirjonk

I predict you're prediction is way off. Here's how it works. The SC makes a ruling, states then chip away at it per their constituencies will. Look at abortion. The states that want it illegal try everything they can to make it as inconvenient as possible and when they go too far they get smacked down, and then they try again with a new restriction. Same will happen with guns. No automatic weapons, then no easily modified automatics, etc. Some statutes will get thrown out, others will stick. Meanwhile, Texans will have less reason than any to worry.
I think judges will be more inclined to throw local bans out on their ear, a la San Francisco's multiple attempts at handgun ban.

ASK THE COMMUNITY