Obama Knocked for Chewing Gum in India: 'Ungainly Sight'

RickBean

Dec 4, 2014
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-knocked-chewing-gum-india-ungainly-sight_824422.html

Look at that face, face of first man in our country, face of proud defender of our interests, face of America... What he is doing an important event? Answer is on picture.
B8RqIL_CMAATH79.jpg

Well, At least it isn't gutka.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Righties will grasp at any straw they can. I remember that story Obama spent $200 million/day last year. Anything else you guys want to fabricate? I'm sure this will be a Fox News headline tonight.

BTW - This is far less embarrassing by out President on a foreign trip then this...
bush_groping_merkel.jpg

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Hey, he might be the village idiot, but he's our village idiot. Vilifying him for chewing gum? If that's the worst thing he did we should all be thrilled.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Presidents don't cease being human beings when they are elected to office.

My favorite is probably GHWB yacking all over then passing out on the Japanese PM at a state dinner.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Presidents don't cease being human beings when they are elected to office.

My favorite is probably GHWB yacking all over then passing out on the Japanese PM at a state dinner.
Hey, if you poison your guests they may throw up on you. In any case that's something involuntary, not like chewing gum or a creepy back rub.

Gotta be either the Times of India is opposed to India's current leadership, or opposed to America, or opposed to Obama personally, or insulted that he cut short his trip. Chewing gum simply cannot be sufficient reason to write such a story in and of itself.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
We should be outraged, here is another recent example of them (The Obamas) not being sensitive to other cultures. I bet some head will explode trying to justify one, but not the other. Imho, so what?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...dscarf-and-sparks-a-backlash-in-saudi-arabia/

/sarcasm
I'm guessing it has something to do with women being allowed to drive and generally not being considered property in Indonesia. At some point, people turn from respecting (or at least pretending to respect) your hosts' culture to not being able to bring oneself to even pretend.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Chewing does look a lot like eating. And with millions starving, I can understand how that could be offensive in their culture. ;)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
probably nicorette, why you gotta hate on a guy for trying to quit?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Obama has pretty much knocked it out of the park wrt to India, the butthurt and pathetic attempts to invalidate his visit are of course, right on schedule from those desperately clinging to their need to see him as a foreign policy failure.

Can you imagine if Obama pulled a GHWB and threw up all over a foreign head of state or prime minister? lol

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Chewing does look a lot like eating. And with millions starving, I can understand how that could be offensive in their culture. ;)

Yeah, but you understand how the Indian Space program kicks the legs right out from underneath that joke though?

Keeping a big wad of minty gum in your mouth is a good idea in India. Helps you ignore the all too common scents of garbage and sewage. ;)

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Yeah, but you understand how the Indian Space program kicks the legs right out from underneath that joke though?

Keeping a big wad of minty gum in your mouth is a good idea in India. Helps you ignore the all too common scents of garbage and sewage. ;)

Are Indians still operating under the belief that the moon is made of cheese? They're going to wrangle it down to feed the starving?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
While i think that if visiting a country you should be respectful i don't find much to care about in the story.

big deal he had gum and she went without a scarf (wich i agree with).

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Personally I find hundreds of millions of Indians starving and dying from disease a much more ungainly sight. Maybe their newspapers should focus on that.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Chews gum in India... bows to Saudi King...
Disrespect one... servile respect towards the other...

Least he's consistent about breaking codes of conduct.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
probably nicorette, why you gotta hate on a guy for trying to quit?

I was going to say this. Pres is a smoker and I've heard of him chewing nicotine gum before. Not a big deal. If he had a fistful of big league chew is in mouth smacking away that would be rough.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I was going to say this. Pres is a smoker and I've heard of him chewing nicotine gum before. Not a big deal. If he had a fistful of big league chew is in mouth smacking away that would be rough.
Well at one point he did take the gum out of his mouth to give it a bit of an inspection before popping it back in. Could be worse. He could be doing armpit farts and cupping farts too.

We hear here from time to time that we don't respect the office. I see nothing coming from him warranting any respect. Very little about him is Presidential. But I've grown used to it as has the rest of the world.