Obama has a chance to be a really good President?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Funny how many of the big issues actually disappear during a Presidential campaign.
When was the last time you heard about illegal immigration?

Another issue that is not heard of is the "money in politics" issue.
From what I can tell Obama has re-written the dynamic with a broad based fund raising campaign strongly dependent on donations from average people.
McCain who is theoretically independent due to public financing is desperately dependent on the Republican parties fund raising to help bridge the gap between him and Obama.

So Obama is probably the least dependent on corporate and big donor money candidate for President of a major party in many, many years.
It will be nice to have a President who unlike, say, like Bush Jr., isn't the candidate of special interest like the big oil companies.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
According to a bunch of 8 year olds, Obama is going to "Spread Freedom". Thats all I need to know, mailed my ballot in today.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: alchemize
When was the last time "balanced budget" has come out of a national politicians mouth?

George Bush promised it to us all.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
When do average voters vote for the betterment of society? They vote for what THEY want. That's why democracy fails, and it's scary that his "fund raising campaign strongly dependent on donations from average people. "

You can talk shit about corporate donors and successful people all you want but they are the ones that provide the jobs and innovation in this planet.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
When was the last time "balanced budget" has come out of a national politicians mouth?

IIRC about 1999 when Bill Clinton said, "We don't have a balanced budget, WE HAVE A SURPLUS"

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Perknose

No he didn't. Both he and Kerry promised the same thing - to "cut the deficit in 1/2" IIRC. Of course it was an empty promise (by both).

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

No he didn't. Both he and Kerry promised the same thing - to "cut the deficit in 1/2" IIRC. Of course it was an empty promise (by both).

Please- you're suffering from selective memory. GWB, from 2001-

"After paying the bills, my plan reduces the national debt, and fast," Mr. Bush said. "So fast, in fact, that economists worry that we're going to run out of debt to retire. That would be a good worry to have."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories...ional/main274334.shtml

He lied, of course, but there's been nothing unusual about that.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

No he didn't.

YES HE DID.

Do you even see how much your political BIAS distorts your own remembrance of even recent and basic American political history?

How quickly YOU forget, Bush inherited a series of budget surpluses from Clinton and absolutely promised and projected MORE OF THE SAME IMMEDIATELY.

It was only 8 fucking years ago! Do you really need to be schooled on this, al? :|

Here's Bush's OWN DAMN WORDS at the first 2000 Presidential debate. These are the very first words out of his mouth:

BUSH: Well, we do come from different places. I come from being a West Texas. The governor is the chief executive officer. We know how to set agendas as a governor. I think you'll find the difference reflected in our budgets. I want to take one-half of the surplus and dedicate it to Social Security. One-quarter of the surplus for important projects, and I want to send one-quarter of the surplus back to the people who pay the bills. I want everybody who pays taxes to have their tax rates cut. And that stands in contrast to my worthy opponent's plan, which will increase the size of government dramatically. His plan is three times larger than President Clinton's proposed plan eight years ago. It is a plan that will have 200 new programs -- expanded programs and creates 20,000 new bureaucrats. It it empowers Washington. My vision is to empower Americans to be able to make decisions for themselves in their own lives.

HINT: You can't be talking about a surplus if your budget isn't at least balanced!

Below is from his second opportunity to speak:

BUSH: Let me just say that obviously tonight we're going to hear some phony numbers about what I think and what we ought to do. People need to know that over the next ten years it is going to be $25 trillion of revenue that comes into our treasurey and we anticipate spending $21 trillion. And my plan say why don't we pass 1.3 trillion of that back to the people who pay the bills? Surely we can afford 5% of the $25 trillion that are coming into the treasury to the hard working people that pay the bills. There is a difference of opinion. My opponent thinks the government -- the surplus is the government's money. That's not what I think. I think it's the hard-working people of America's money and I want to share some of that money with you so you have more money to build and save and dream for your families. It's a difference of opinion. It's a difference between government making decisions for you and you getting more of your money to make decisions for yourself.

AGAIN, for the slow: Bush can't be talking about what he'd do with his surplus unless he had at least a balanced budget.

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
And to think...........Slick Willy did it even after dealing with the 911 fiasco. . . . . .

Oh wait........911 didn't happen during his presidency.......

;)

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: redgtxdi
And to think...........Slick Willy did it even after dealing with the 911 fiasco. . . . . .

;)

Yeah, and 9-11 changed everything. Apparently it is the excuse for everything.
It wasn't the huge tax cuts. It wasn't 50 percent of our manufacturing leaving America due to unfair trade, it wasn't excessive Republican spending, it wasn't an economy propped up by insanely low government loans.
It was 9-11.
Is that you, Rudy?

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

;)

Please refrain from using logic, it upsets the rabid lefty fringe ;)

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: techs

It wasn't the huge tax cuts. It wasn't 50 percent of our manufacturing leaving America due to unfair trade, it wasn't excessive Republican spending, it wasn't an economy propped up by insanely low government loans.
It was 9-11.
Is that you, Rudy?

And in one paragraph........the cost of the war is now insignificant.

;)

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
Funny how many of the big issues actually disappear during a Presidential campaign.
When was the last time you heard about illegal immigration?

Another issue that is not heard of is the "money in politics" issue.
From what I can tell Obama has re-written the dynamic with a broad based fund raising campaign strongly dependent on donations from average people.
McCain who is theoretically independent due to public financing is desperately dependent on the Republican parties fund raising to help bridge the gap between him and Obama.

So Obama is probably the least dependent on corporate and big donor money candidate for President of a major party in many, many years.
It will be nice to have a President who unlike, say, like Bush Jr., isn't the candidate of special interest like the big oil companies.

Ummm - NO

Obama has had as much or more corporate and big donor money as McCain

Obama had second most money from corrupt Fannie and Freddie (and an ex CEO from there also ran his VP selection group)

http://www.opensecrets.org/new...e-mae-and-freddie.html

"Obama, McCain big beneficiaries of Wall Street"

"Both Barack Obama and John McCain have strongly benefited from Wall Street this election cycle, an analysis from the Center for Responsive Politics reports.

According to the non-partisan research organization, employees of security and investment firms have donated nearly $10 million to Barack Obama this year and close to $7 million to McCain's presidential bid. "

http://politicalticker.blogs.c...iaries-of-wall-street/

McCain got more money from Finance and energy sector while BO got more money from trial lawyers (hello continued health care crisis). Of course don't forget the layers and layers of Soros groups that replicate themselves over and over and donate over and over. He was busted and fined last election and he could be busted after this one was well no doubt.

"FEC Slaps Soros Group for Campaign Finance Abuses"

"Leftist uber-funder George Soros's group America Coming Together has been slapped with a $775,000 fine by the Federal Election Commission - the third largest fine in FEC history, but really only a minor fine considering the crime.

According to the FEC, ACT used tens of millions of dollars of unregulated cash to boost Democratic candidates during the 2004 elections. The Politico reports that, according to the FEC, ACT raised $137 million for its get-out-the-vote effort in 17 states in the 2004 elections, but the FEC found most of that cash came through contributions that violated federal limits or were otherwise barred by campaign rules."

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/b...7/08/29/slapping-soros

Don't forget the homosexuals in Hollywood who made Obama when Geffen et al threw Hillary under the bus for BO

"Clinton-Obama Hollywood Brawl"
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes...obama-hollywood-brawl/

"Obama benefits from Calif. gay couple?s ?golden Rolodex"
http://www.washingtonblade.com...ews/national/12434.cfm

"A gay West Coast couple is busy bringing in millions of dollars from California residents to help Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama win the White House.

Jeremy Bernard and Rufus Gifford make up B&G Associates, a financial consulting company that assists Democratic candidates with California fundraising activities. The money generated from the entertainment capital of the United States has helped fuel the campaigns of many candidates over the years, leading some, including Bernard, to call California an ?ATM? for Democratic candidates.

According to Federal Election Commission data, the couple has helped steer nearly $27 million in donations from California residents to Obama, helping to propel the candidate from second-place standing in the polls to front-runner status over Hillary Clinton, who only a few months ago enjoyed a double-digit lead.

Gay media mogul David Geffen has also been one of Obama?s ?loyal supporters,? Gifford says.Bernard and Gifford held their first fundraising event for Obama with Geffen and his fellow DreamWorks founder Jeffrey Katzenberg."

In September:

"Michelle Obama Appeals to Big Bucks Gay Donors in LA"
http://www.edgeboston.com/inde...sc=&sc2=&sc3=&id=80111

"Barack Obama?s wife Michelle appeared Sept. 3 before two Hollywood gatherings, and hit up big-bucks LGBT power players for funds."

In June

"Michelle Obama's the belle of gay Democrats ball"

"Mary Snider, co-chair of the board of directors of the Human Rights Campaign, said Obama seemed at ease with the crowd, which paid $1,500 to $28,500 for tickets"

http://www.nydailynews.com/new..._of_gay_democra-2.html

In September:

"Obama Raises $11 Million in Hollywood"
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes...-in-hollywood/?apage=3

You want a Marxist who wants SIECUS sex ed for 5 yr olds (you can see why above) in office vote BO.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It never ceases to amaze me how BB can do a 2 screen post and not a single word of it is his own.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Butterbean can't jack off with his hand so he jacks off with his mind. It's rare to find somebody so obsessed by sex. So damn sad.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Butterbean can't jack off with his hand so he jacks off with his mind. It's rare to find somebody so obsessed by sex. So damn sad.

There's nothing inherently wrong with being obsessed with Sex... Butterbean's problem is that aside from the sex, he's not much of a thinker. :)

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
really? illegal immigration is the BIG issue? not iraq or how much money and lives we're wasting in iraq or the economic crisis? you're worried about mexicans? really?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: retrospooty
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

There's nothing inherently wrong with being obsessed with Sex... Butterbean's problem is that aside from the sex, he's not much of a thinker. :)

If you are thinking about what kind of sex somebody else is having and you think there's nothing wrong with that I would have to say you are crazy. My life is sexually gratified enough that I haven't even the slightest room in my mind to wonder about you.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

In the last few days, as Obama said he would not have a balanced budget by the end og his first term, only a reduced deficit, because the problems are too big to balance it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

;)

Only a third of Bush's increases in spending after 9/11 had anything to do with war or security spending. Try again, mister apologist who assumes facts to fit your ideology.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005

It was 9-11.
Is that you, Rudy?

And in one paragraph........the cost of the war is now insignificant.

;)

By 2001, we had already significantly reduced our surplus. This happened before 9/11

The war is no insignificant amount, but even just one glance at the numbers will demonstrate that the war is not the only thing causing our deficit, the largest in history. Instead you're choosing to use 9/11 as a scapegoat.

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Craig234
Only a third of Bush's increases in spending after 9/11 had anything to do with war or security spending. Try again, mister apologist who assumes facts to fit your ideology.

Like I said...........made insignificant in one (yet another) paragraph!!!

Point being.......you'll argue the sum is a lot or a little in tomorrow's...thread du jour...to support your position.

Fact.....Bush had to deal with it......Clinton did not.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Originally posted by: eits
really? illegal immigration is the BIG issue? not iraq or how much money and lives we're wasting in iraq or the economic crisis? you're worried about mexicans? really?

How much money are we wasting by letting our emergency rooms fill up with illegals every second of every day? It is not uncommon in many ER's now a days to have a good 6+ hour wait for care....all the while the bills are not getting paid.

How much money gets wasted on surgeries that cost thousands upon thousands of dollars from illegal immigrant caused crime and general poor health?

It is astronomical. A hospital I used to work for loses over 190 million a year from that alone. That's 1 hopsital, each year, and it's only going up. Now, illegals don't make up all that 190 million....but from what I've seen 1st hand it's a GOOD amount.