Obama Hands Out Another Participation Award

Nov 8, 2012
Yay, let's hand out more like candy!

Seriously, I didn't know it was possible to disgrace a medal by handing them out to people that have done absolutely nothing other than their job... and somehow that is worthy of a medal? This has clearly turned into participation award. Why not hand some more out to talk show hosts? I mean, they do sooo much for our country what with keeping our asses on the couch and preventing us from being educated....

xjhii.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...aa24a0-d90c-11e6-9a36-1d296534b31e_story.html
President Obama awarded the nation’s highest civilian honor, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, to a shocked Vice President Biden on Thursday at the White House.

Biden and the president had gathered with others for what the White House had described as a final tribute to the vice president.

The event began with a playful and heartfelt tribute from Obama to one of his closest friends and confidants in Washington. As he finished his remarks, the president asked one of his military aides to come to the stage.

“For the final time as president I am pleased to award our nation’s highest civilian honor . . .” Obama began as a Marine officer bearing the medal stood by.

Vice President Biden was overcome with emotion after President Obama surprised him by awarding him the Presidential Medal of Freedom.(Victoria Walker/The Washington Post)
Biden immediately spun around, turning his back to the crowd, and wiped his face and eyes with his handkerchief. The president bestowed the medal “with distinction,” an additional level of veneration that his three immediate predecessors had reserved for only three others — Pope John Paul II, former president Ronald Reagan and Gen. Colin Powell.

“I had no inkling,” Biden said after the medal was draped around his neck. “I thought we were going . . . to toast one another and say what an incredible journey it has been.”

In his remarks, Biden praised Obama for serving the nation with dignity and insisted that he was not worthy of the honor.

“I don’t deserve this,” the vice president said repeatedly.

Obama described Biden as a “lion of American history” and praised his long service in the Senate. As vice president, Biden’s influence has spanned both domestic and international policy initiatives. He was a critical voice in crafting strategy in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and in encouraging Obama to send Navy SEALs on a mission to capture or kill Osama bin Laden in 2011.

Biden also helped oversee the president’s first-term economic stimulus package and pressed unsuccessfully for gun-control legislation after the killing of 20 children at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

President Obama was honoring the vice president at a White House ceremony when he surprised Joe Biden by presenting him with the nation’s highest civilian honor.

Obama embraced a common Biden tactic in his remarks by including a quote from an Irish poet and words of wisdom from the vice president’s parents.

The president also spoke of their friendship forged through tough times and tragedy. In 2015, Beau Biden, the vice president’s son, died of brain cancer, and Obama delivered the eulogy at his funeral. Biden’s first wife and daughter were killed in a 1972 car crash shortly after he was first elected to the Senate. That tragedy has been a key feature of Biden’s political identity, and much of Obama’s remarks focused on the vice president’s compassion for his fellow Americans.

“When Joe talks about hope and opportunity for our children, we hear the father who rode the rails home there every night so he could be there to tuck his kids into bed,” Obama said. “When Joe talks to Gold Star families who have lost a hero, we hear a kindred spirit, another father of an American veteran, somebody whose faith has been tested and has been forced to wander through the darkness himself and who knows who to lean on to find the light.”

Biden recounted that Obama offered help when Biden’s son was battling cancer and the vice president was weighing whether to sell his house to cover the bills.

“I’ll give you the money,” Biden recalled Obama telling him. “Promise me. Promise me you won’t sell that house.”

Biden said that he and Obama had on occasion differed on matters of policy but that he had never doubted Obama’s judgment.

“I just hope that the asterisk in history that is attached to my name when they talk about this presidency is that I can say I was part of the journey of a remarkable man who did remarkable things for this country,” Biden said.

Biden closed by grabbing the medal, which had been draped around his neck, and lifting it off his chest. “This honor is not only well beyond what I deserve but it is a reflection of the extent and generosity of your spirit,” he said, turning to the president. “I don’t deserve this, but I know it came from the president’s heart.”

Photos of Biden receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom
AFP_JX3HF.jpg

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
I have no issue with Obama bestowing the Presidential Medal of Freedom on Biden as he is quite deserving due to his service to the US throughout his life.

Yes, that poor guy! Making millions of dollars from tax payers. Good grief!

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Good grief. Biden was a breath of fresh air compared to 8 years with Cheney.

So, being a "breath of fresh air" is sufficient to warrant the highest civilian honor possible? I don't dislike Biden, he's kind of that goofy old fool uncle everyone seems to have, but what specifically has he done to earn not just some commendation -- the highest civilian honor the country has? He's done his job, and he's done it for a long time. There are probably a hundred million people in this country that could say the same. What has he done to earn the highest honor?

I have no issue with Obama bestowing the Presidential Medal of Freedom on Biden as he is quite deserving due to his service to the US throughout his life.

Wait, so working in government for your whole life (ie, service to the US) makes one quite deserving of the highest honor the country can bestow on a civilian? Someone better tell the millions of people who have worked in some government job for decades doing a good job that they have a medal of freedom coming! ;)

This whole notion of "service" by politicians is crazy IMO. Service to your country can take many forms. Someone putting their life on the line is service. Someone giving up something personally to better the country is service. I don't consider what politicians do -- collecting a nice paycheck for doing their job to be some noble service. They are just doing what they are supposed to do and what anyone else in that position would do. Most of them are just out to line their own pockets or push an agenda. Far from noble "service to your country".

Feb 4, 2009
...and Trump has yet to release his taxes. We still have no idea what else Trump may have investments in and whom he may owe money to.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Yes, that poor guy! Making millions of dollars from tax payers. Good grief!

Uh, Biden is one of the least wealthy politicians at the federal level. Hell, I almost have a higher net worth than him.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So, being a "breath of fresh air" is sufficient to warrant the highest civilian honor possible? I don't dislike Biden, he's kind of that goofy old fool uncle everyone seems to have, but what specifically has he done to earn not just some commendation -- the highest civilian honor the country has? He's done his job, and he's done it for a long time. There are probably a hundred million people in this country that could say the same. What has he done to earn the highest honor?

Wait, so working in government for your whole life (ie, service to the US) makes one quite deserving of the highest honor the country can bestow on a civilian? Someone better tell the millions of people who have worked in some government job for decades doing a good job that they have a medal of freedom coming! ;)

This whole notion of "service" by politicians is crazy IMO. Service to your country can take many forms. Someone putting their life on the line is service. Someone giving up something personally to better the country is service. I don't consider what politicians do -- collecting a nice paycheck for doing their job to be some noble service. They are just doing what they are supposed to do and what anyone else in that position would do. Most of them are just out to line their own pockets or push an agenda. Far from noble "service to your country".

If Biden wanted to line his pockets he could have left the senate for some cushy lobbying job a long time ago and made millions. He's been a good and honorable man for decades in service to the country and he's endured some of the worst tragedies anyone can have the misfortune of going through.

Put aside your extreme partisanship for one minute here. He's a good guy and he deserves it.

Reactions: jackstar7

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Get over it. The man has done you nor the country any wrong. He has faithfully served the country for much of his life and is deserving of the honor.

Uh, Biden is one of the least wealthy politicians at the federal level. Hell, I almost have a higher net worth than him.

If Biden wanted to line his pockets he could have left the senate for some cushy lobbying job a long time ago and made millions. He's been a good and honorable man for decades in service to the country and he's endured some of the worst tragedies anyone can have the misfortune of going through.

Put aside your extreme partisanship for one minute here. He's a good guy and he deserves it.

I don't think Biden is a bad guy. He's probably one of the least despicable politicians, and I agree that he's not done what many politicians have done and lined his own pockets during his service. I disagree with his politics, but he's done pretty much what should be expected -- do your job. I'm not hating on him specifically, I'm asking the question: what exactly has he done to deserve the highest civilian honor our country can bestow? Because all I've seen in this thread is "he's a good guy and has served for a long time". By that measure there are tens of millions of equally or more deserving people.

Reactions: COPOHawk
Nov 8, 2012

We're saying if that's worthy of a medal then you have about 10,000 others that have done the same. There are plenty of house members and senators that have served their entire life for a district as well. Bernie is an obvious example, should he get one too?

Feb 4, 2009
I don't think Biden is a bad guy. He's probably one of the least despicable politicians, and I agree that he's not done what many politicians have done and lined his own pockets during his service. I disagree with his politics, but he's done pretty much what should be expected -- do your job. I'm not hating on him specifically, I'm asking the question: what exactly has he done to deserve the highest civilian honor our country can bestow? Because all I've seen in this thread is "he's a good guy and has served for a long time". By that measure there are tens of millions of equally or more deserving people.

He brought you "The Biden Rule"

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
LOL, someone gets a medal and the Right gets angry!!! And then they say liberals are all "bleeding heart" and too easily triggered!!! I can't remember any controversy liberals stirred up when Reagan got the medal, but I suppose some Birkenstock liberal at Berkeley probably shouted something too. That's what the Right has become.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
We're saying if that's worthy of a medal then you have about 10,000 others that have done the same. There are plenty of house members and senators that have served their entire life for a district as well. Bernie is an obvious example, should he get one too?

For every award there are usually lots of other people who deserve it too. Should we get rid of awards? Ronald Reagan got one, Margaret Thatcher got one, what's wrong with Biden getting one?

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
For every award there are usually lots of other people who deserve it too. Should we get rid of awards? Ronald Reagan got one, Margaret Thatcher got one, what's wrong with Biden getting one?

Nothing wrong with him getting one, nor am I saying he's not deserving. I'm just asking the question nobody seems to be able to answer: what exactly has he done that merits bestowing on him the highest honor the country can bestow on a person? Is "doing your job" sufficient?

b-mac

Jun 15, 2015
Haha of all the things happening in government this is the thing you're upset with, good grief.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
People in this thread pissing on Biden. Take policy out of the loop for a second, both Joe and Barack and the epitome of honor, grace and integrity when it comes to this office.

When the self indulgent shit show takes over more people are going to miss these guys.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
After Bush giving John Bremer a medal, this is just one more issue where the indignant right has it's head up it's hypocritical ass.

Yes, keep whining you poor victimized snowflakes.