Obama Didn't Get Any Bump in the Polls after the Second Debate...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
When the polls say what a dem wants them to say they are good and should be believed...when they do not they are bad and should be dismissed. Nothing new here...same ol dems.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Conservative reaction to the second debate was...different. Almost immediately is turned into whining about the moderator, whining about the media, whining about Obama being mean (did any of those people pay attention when Romney was talking?), whining about the questions, basically doing everything possible to avoid admitting that Obama got the better of Romney in their second exchange.

Not everyone fit into either category, but the overall reaction seemed to follow that pattern for sure.
The difference between the first debate and the second debate couldn't have been larger. Romney clearly kicked Obama's rear in the first one, it was harder to deny. If the second debate was as lopsided as the first debate I'm sure it would have been a different story. As it stands Romney did ok in the second debate while Obama was horrible in the first one. Romney did a lot good for himself in the first and to a lesser degree second debate while Obama did in the second debate.

I'm partisan but it seemed to me that Obama was too wired at Hofstra. Romney was the same Romney at both while Obama was way different. My guess is that voters noticed this and more will not like it vs those who will.

The other thing is that these aren't high school debates that are decide on points. Obama may very well have won on points but lost on the big picture.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
They already explained it in plain English; to improve their accuracy. Not rocket science, nor is there any evidence of a left-skew.
In general though, Gallup's registered voter numbers more closely match the actual result than their likely voter numbers. For whatever reason they switched to this model late in the race, but it sure wasn't out of a liberal bias.

When one poll gives a weird result and uses a very strict likely voter model, it's more likely that it is the outlier rather than the rest of the pack.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/18/gallup-vs-the-world/

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Either it takes more time to sink in, or, the media narrative is not the truth.

If politicians lie to you, why wouldn't their lackeys?
I think it's more simple than that. The undecideds in the first debate probably didn't know much about romney outside of stump speeches and campaign ads. Seeing the real deal might have convinced more of them after the first debate. Obama didn't have this luxury, he's had high exposure for over 4 years now. If people don't like him by now, ain't much going to change their minds.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
“The most startling thing that has happened here the last month over this campaign is the president has completely given up on outlining any sort of agenda for the future. What’s his plan for the next four years?” He can't be honest about his "plans". If the American public knew what's coming and what it will cost he would be thrown out of office now. Instead the obama has a grift campaign that narrow casts to his obamaBots.